How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Sorry. Don't know how the entire post got quoted, and I must have hit the submit button in the middle of replying, thus the incomplete message.
When I attempted to post the full message, this site gave me a "OPPS" error multiple times.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2016 Standard and Windows 8.1 Enterprise VM (Hyper-V)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell/Precision M6800
    CPU
    Intel i7-4930 @ 3.0-3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    32.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Quadro K3100M
    Browser
    IE11, FF 61.0.2
    Antivirus
    Viper, Malwarebytes
When I paste the message into this interface, it always throws an error.
I am attaching it as a .txt file to see if I can through to you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Precision M6800
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    32.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    IE11, FF 61.0.2
    Antivirus
    Viper, Malwarebytes
I can copy/paste into this interface, very sorry you had trouble with it.
I don't see any attached txt file anywhere either, and so I don't know what your questions are.
You may need 5 posts or some sort of quota to post attachments though - I've forgotten what those quotas are with this new forums interface. You also should be able to EDIT your posts to fix them, but here again there may be a small post quota to meet first for new members to active these few items. Brink or others can answer you that question in the help forum.

I think I've answered everything already about WM in post 1 or in my other replies though - but it's all easy once you know it.

Instead of copy/pasting your thoughts in - just type what you want in the message as normal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Oh well...the miracles of modern communication.
I was not copying/pasting when the original error occurred. I resorted to that after repeated errors.
When I attached the .txt file, scratchpad.txt, from Notepad, it had a horizontal line thru the filename, but gave it a try anyway.
I'll try once more:
Re backup: I know about backup, and I also backup the Winmail content on a different device
To paraphrase. All my OS's see their SystemRoot's on their own physical drives and retain the same drive letters, so their is no ambiguity with drive letters.
Cannot locate where the registry Store Root value of %StemRoot%Mail (there is no backslash) is defined. It works though coupled with CD to take you to the Windows Mail folder as does the Default location.
I also noticed that all the Winmail related .dll's have a security warning on their Properties/General tab:
"This file came from another computer and might be blocked..." along with a "Unblock" checkbox. I 'unblocked' all of them manually, before discovering policy in gpedit to suppress it.
Thanks for your patience.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell/Precision M6800
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    32.0 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    IE11, FF 61.0.2
    Antivirus
    Viper, Malwarebytes
Re backup: I know about backup, and I also backup the Winmail content on a different device

I was Specifically talking about the Backup/Restore procedure on Post 1 in the spoiler, and no other will give you the same level of resolve and abilities to recover from message store corruption like you had, or restoring backups, or moving WinMail to different OS's.

When it comes to the Server edition I had previously installed/tested Server 2012, but I've now also installed Server 2016 fully updated, adding it to my OS's with WinMail, and now posted its screenshot on Post 1 with the rest of the OS screenshots linked.
(fwiw Server 2016 is still old enough (even with the latest updates) and only needs the process on Post 1 done - NOT post 2)

I've already given all my answers and advice as to the Message Store subject and stand by them, but I'm not sure you completely understood my points; I'm not sure what your question is with that anymore - what specifically are you asking?

I also noticed that all the Winmail related .dll's have a security warning on their Properties/General tab: ...

My properties tab on them are normal with no warnings. I used only files attached to post#1 - what files did you use..? Anyway mine nor any fresh install I've ever heard of does that (for any version) and so not WinMail related, and may be something you've done with your install in the interim from your original install to cause that behavior. I'll let you search out that beginning reason of why it happened in the first place if you wanted to know. Yes I see you turned off in gpedit to suppress it but again why was it doing that in the first place; however fwiw I do not use the built-in Windows Defender or any of its assets on any my OS's - I specifically turn it off and prefer to use another vendor... ymmv.

I'm really not sure what your questions are now, or if you need any help with WinMail?
If you do I am always happy to be of help :) ..Please be more specific though, thank you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Updated to Windows 10 Oct release ver. 1809 yesterday. Followed instructions in post 1&2 and it works!
Thanks!

Good day to all...

With the release of the Windows 10 1809 FINAL Build 17763.1 many people will be upgrading from previous versions of Windows 10. For those people going for a CLEAN install (not an upgrade) following the full instructions given by Endeavor in the OP should enable them to install Windows Mail without problems and start enjoying very quickly.

For people that go for an UPGRADE, if I recall correctly, before doing the upgrade some previous backups and copying of files will be necessary.

I would like to abuse of Endeavor's great disposition to help others to continue enjoying this great email program and ask him to provide the correct procedure for those going for this option so as to have only one set of CLEAR instructions.

Many thanks once again to Endeavor and his many years of hard work to make Windows Mail available for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 users!

JCC2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
...provide the correct procedure for those going for this (upgrade) option so as to have only one set of CLEAR instructions.

I already have provided all of that, which part of post 1 & 2 for Win10 did you not understand what it says?
I've painstakingly made the instructions as CLEAR as I can, and I always keep updating them better!

You have to realize in order for me to properly cover all situations for Everyone, post 1 & 2 is jam packed full of information in order to cover all scenarios. If you take the time and read And understand the time-line how post #1 was written to cover Win8 and then the same procedures evolved to cover Win10 as well, until you get to post #2 which also covers the newer versions of Win10.
(Win8 is easier to re-instate of course)

I realize if a person is not used to doing it there is a lot of information to understand at first, especially if a person does not speak English then it's even harder to translate. I only know how to speak and write English.

Once a person understands the procedure though, and does it a few times, it becomes very easy to do.
I do say it's only for advanced computer users, and so then it's even easier.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Good evening Endeavor.....

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Although english is not my native language I basically have no problems with it (unless it becomes very technical ;-) ).

I agree that your original post is very complete and should not be a problem for most people to follow the instructions and get Windows Mail running in Windows 7, 8 or 10 without any problem; but as you can see from the many posts in this thread, this is not the case for everyone, that is why I suggested if it would be possible for you to make a simpler set of instructions for non native english speaking users.

I apologize if my suggestion was understood to mean something else.

With many thanks,

JCC2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
.......make a simpler set of instructions for non native english speaking users.

It's not simple though in any language, and there are so many important variables that I just can't leave out not listing them since it resulted in failures and thus more posts from users with problems and questions. This project is for Advanced Experienced Computer users, and no amount of words explaining can help someone understand procedures if they don't know the computer experience of it already; I am here to serve though :)

Realize as years went by and problems were solved, things needed to be added to cover all the variables that arose. Not long ago (for the 5th time) I did do a rewrite and streamlined all of the instructions again to make it even more simpler as I could. I even added spoilers to esthetically temporally hide the resolve of variables so that the Basic instructions would appear as simple as possible, while at the same time the spoilers can be clicked to reveal the explanation for those necessary important variables. I worked really very hard on that over the years not only for English speaking but other languages that had to translate as well, to make it as easy as I could. I will always continue to do so and am always open to suggestions. Realize even though this procedure is really only for Advanced computer users who naturally understand it after a full read and can very easily do it, but still less advanced users could get there too, with extra effort to understand.

Remember posts 1 & 2 are written and left in timeline to cover not only Windows 8, but then early Windows 10, and then now post 2 adds in the resolve just for newer versions of Win10. At this point in time I am Not going to separate them out into three different tutorial versions making all new sets of downloads. They will stay all combined into one. This is why I have not made a tutorial post over on the TenForums just for Windows 10; which actually I did not expect for Windows 10 that WinMail would last working as long as it has and hung on! ..Be thankful for what we have, it took/takes a lot of time to tend to.

...but as you can see from the many posts in this thread, this is not the case for everyone

As you can expect that most (but not all) of the posts here are from new less experienced computer users asking questions because they did not know how to follow procedures correctly, and I appreciate and respect them all ! ..However you really don't hear from the Experienced users that stay behind scenes who have been using WinMail for a long time, and when a fresh install or new update comes along we can get WinMail re-instated and running again in a matter of minutes, which for these Experienced computer users it's really very easy with a click, click, click, and copy a few files, merge a few registry entries, Properly, and we are good to go.
We always have it staged and ready to go, along with a 'current' backup of our own message store folder, HKCU, etc.
Each person can also make a quick set of personalized instructions for themselves which pertain just to their own setup.

I remember jcc2 when you posted your previous posts before, and I am glad you still have WinMail working well for you, and also I thank you for your support and kind words.

Good luck, thank you, and long live WinMail
thumbs.gif

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Updated Post 2 to include installed/testing/working screenshots of WinMail on Windows 10 v1809 (re-release), and on Server 2019

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Thanks. Wish I could get 1809. It wont install on my machine and it wont even clean install on an empty partition on my Disk 3 nor anywhere else. I think 1809 doesn't like my chipset and/or processor.
Meanwhile I've hidden it for now on my existing 1709, or whatever that number is, partitions.
Sticking with 7 Pro x64 until 2020.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Thank you Endeavor. Yesterday I updated windows 10 then "Winmail" disappeared. The post #1 and #2 can fix it, now I can use winmail again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
You're very welcome TigerHN

Happy Holidays Everyone!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
endeavor, I followed your instructions to the letter, as far as I can tell, trying to get Win 7 Win Mail to work on a new Lenovo laptop running Win10 1803, but it won't work - I make all the changes, click on the WinMail shortcut and nothing happens. I noticed that Win 10 has a Win7 emulation option. Is there any way that you know of to simply use the Win 7 files and run them in Win 7 emulation?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    lenovo
    CPU
    ?
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    windows defender
Hello Patty, and welcome to the Eight Forums.

It sounds like you just missed a step is all, or didn't do one of them right, from steps 1 - 9 on post 1 and since you also have v1803 then of course requires doing step 10 on post 2.. ..while at the same time assuming you already understand everything that's written within each spoiler on page 1, and its notes..

To your post asking, and my answer is this has nothing to do with Win7 emulation settings.

All the information you need, and the files you need, are within post 1 & 2

There is a lot information packed in there even though the basic numbered instructions may read simple, you have to make sure you do everything the way it says. You just missed something is all, and so go back, make sure you are using the right x86 or x64 files for your version as you didn't specify and your profile does not say, and that you are working in the right folder if its x64, etc, etc... and do it all over again overwriting what you have done. Every detail in the way it's written is important, and it must be done methodically. I will assume you are an experienced computer user who gets the nuisances, otherwise this procedure may be over your abilities.

Good Luck ...I should say, skill

Happy Holidays!..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello endeavor, and thank you for supporting this mail client, here and on Seven forum!

In fact, the most of requirements and operations are similar to Seven or exactly the same; I restored WinMail in Windows 8.1 the same way as I have done it several years ago in Windows 7, it worked almost well; a few days later I discovered this thread :)
Then I added the 5/2018 update and the functionality has been fully restored. Thanks again!

A few notes from my own experience.
First, not everyone needs the Windows Calendar and attempts to re-install it. If so, its button should be removed from WM toolbar. Otherwise occasional pressing this button does nothing at best, but may crash WM at worst.

Second, the bug with the send/receive progress panel, which switches to "Details" mode after any error and doesn't want to switch without details by default. I use the registry file spoolerdlg.reg to reset this setting:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail]
"SpoolerDlgPos"=-
Third, WinMail may not work properly in localised Windows versions because of lack of *.mui files. I suggest to place 2 files msoeres.dll.mui and WinMail.exe.mui to the .\<language> directory. For example, in my British version I added msoeres.dll.mui taken from .\en-US, to .\en-GB. It uses US spelling, but works anyway :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Hello Slavic and welcome to the Eight Forums,

Thank you for your words.
The Win7 and Win8/10/Server reinstate instructions are NOT almost the same by any means, well, similarities, but in most.. ...heck it's too much to type and I would just be repeating myself over the years, and all information is within post 1 & 2 and their spoiler notes.

We are not going to remove the Calendar button, actually many people still like to use it and works fine, of which I replied in that thread a few months ago. However I don't use it myself, I never had a need to, and actually I don't even have the Calendar button showing since I, as all of your can do, easily customize the tool bar and remove that, or make the tool bar however you want it.
I carry those toolbar settings over to all OS's even though I don't show that in most all of my screenshots in the tutorial, which I leave stock just for stock screenshot sake, but you can bet it's not like that on any of my OS's.

Here's my tool bar settings that I use across Vista/Win7/Win8/Sever/Win10. I remove lots of stuff I don't use, and I like the no frills clean look of it, and more intuitive functionality, re-arranging things and using extra Separators. I explain how to one-click carry over those settings into clean installs, restores, or installing different OS's; actually I take All WinMail identical settings/emails with me to whichever OS's I'm on at the moment. I explain how to do that in the spoiler notes.
For example here's s a screenshot I just took showing the top of my local folder Inbox toolbar with how it displays:
Toolbar.jpg

...customize them whichever way pleases you, but these are what works best for me, ymmv. (click images to open full)

Also here's one of how I re-arranged my Newsgroups toolbar too:
(showing random newsgroup)
NewsGroups.jpg

- - - - - - - - -
I've never have had any problem with the send/receive progress panel, never, and I use WinMail every single day for the last...I've lost count of the years now but since the beginning. I have 7 personal email accounts, and use dozens of newsgroups within WinMail. I don't know what's causing your problem but as well I am not sure what you are really using for files, reg's, etc, but I suggest take some time, read the entire tutorial. Don't just assume just because you have been using it for so long and got it going, that there is not some new useful information hidden in the post 1 or 2 notes, etc. Don't forget to read the bug list too.

I don't give instructions how to change languages around. I only know how to speak English, and the other users from other languages know how to do it already themselves. Many have discussed it over the years, even recently. Actually in the back of my mind I've always considered to get all the different language files together and offer them as a download with instructions how to do it, but I never had enough people request it; I even have a post 3 slot saved and was going to put that (along with other things) there but never got around to it because of the lack of the demand.

Anyway, don't assume anything and take some time to carefully read over all the notes on post 1 & 2 and the bug list - it's jam packed with info, and over the years I've Constantly updated them even with the tiniest detail to make them the best I could, and will continue to do so.

As always I'm open for new ideas, and thank you for yours

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello Endeavor, I'm trying to install my Windows Mail program on Windows 10, version 1809. I have followed your 10-step procedure, but still no luck. I copied my Windows Mail folder from a machine running Windows 7, and my appdata for Windows Mail. After following your procedure, starting WinMail.exe produces nothing. Help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Gateway/M-6843
    CPU
    Intel Core2
    Memory
    3 GB