How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Hello az87aris and welcome to the Eight Forums

That prompt tells me that you are using an Earlier version of Windows 10 than what post #2 is listed for, and that prompt is what you'll get - I've seen that prompt myself in testing by 'on purpose' using post #2 attachments on earlier versions, and that is what you will get. Make sure you're also using the correct OS bit attachment files for your OS version ...x86 or x64.

See my post #1 screenshot for b16199, anything after that needs post #1 & #2, anything before that Only needs post #1 to work.
Do Not Mix attachment files that don't go to your version! Delete all the files you put in wrong and start over.

Notice what OS build versions I am using per my Screenshots in post #2.
What version/build are you using?

Show me a screenshot of what OS version you are using please.
Start> Run> ...and type winver
..and/or, merge the reg I posted Here, and refresh, to show it on your Desktop and a screenshot of that will do, or both :)
...and is your OS x86 or x64

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
I finished steps 1-7 and the further steps for v1709. But then I click the winmail icon I got prompts like attached (the first prompt appear when I click winmail icon, the second one was shown if I click cancel. And if I click OK to go to the third popup and then OK, the second picture also come up). What have I done wrong? I don't know what "database files" are and certainly did not move it...

P.S. my computer's win10 system was just updated and then I found that I lost my winmail which was being used before update. Oh my god, without winmail I can not do any of my work!! Please help. Thank you! By the way, my computer is a Surface Pro3.

Attachments

• 20180304003437.png
    20180304003437.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180304003455.png
    20180304003455.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180304010616.png
    20180304010616.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Hello dannywong and welcome to the Eight Forums

I have not seen those prompts for a long time back in the Vista and early 7 WinMail days, and those very prompts would come up occasionally yes. It has something to do with the WM message store becoming corrupt for various reasons, and even though there are ways to 'sometimes' repair that corruption, it is way better just to restore a recent backup of your:
C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
folder, which you would simply delete you current one, and copy your backup in its place, and that's it! (you'd lose any emails created since that backup is all...so one would backup often)

A backup of this folder is Paramount because it contains not only all your WM accounts, and the complete folder setup structure of your WM setup, and as most importantly including All its emails message store. I can't say this enough for WinMail users on Vista, Win7, Win8, and Win10 to do this. If you value your data you will make backups (or partition image backups that are explorable so that not just for WinMail, you can have a backup of your entire OS Partition)

Do you have a OS partition backup of any kind? or any kind of WinMail backup?
Hopefully you made a backup BEFORE you let Win10 update itself?

I need to make a write-up about this in the post #1 spoiler I guess.

Why does your screenshot show your database folder on "F:" ..am I seeing things?

There is an application by long time MVP Steve Cochran who created a little self-run application that would 'sometimes' fix corrupted message stores. He has recently passed this year r.i.p, his website closed recently too, but the app was called "WMUtil" and it's last download filename was "wmutil151.zip" I have it if you want to try it.
Amway you would start it and click "Repair Database"
I see in his folder I kept of him, I had taken a screenshot of his webpage back in 2012, and here is a portion of it for that app:
SteveCochran-WMUtil....jpg.jpg

(Later Edit: I've now linked the wmutil151.zip on the WinMail Bug List page, read down till you find Windows Mail Utilities)

..Anyway Danny, you'll need to give us more information of what you have and what you have done.
The more you click around trying to fix it, if not the right action, may just make it worse preventing you from ever recovering anything.
Everyone Needs To Make Backups!!!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello endeavor thanks very much for answering. I did some updates before and got winmail recovered successfully with the help of your posts here. This time I was not careful enough to make back up first. I regret it very much. Could you give me this "wmutil151.zip" file so I can try to fix the message stores which I think is corrupted.

In my last computer the hard drive was parted into C, E, and D drives and I put the winmail data in D drive. But after I changed to this MS surface pro3 some years ago this computer only has one C drive. So I can only create folders D and E under C drive to put the things I used to put in D and E drives. The winmail data was kept in C:\user.... since then. When I backed up D folders I always thought I had backed up the emial files too but forgot that it was not stored in D any more.

I wonder how did you see the "F." in my screen shot?

I see that I might be able to recover the system back to the last version before the update. Would it help?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
I thought it over and decided to try recover the system back to the last version before update. And guess what? After it's done I have my winmail back immediately! Although I had to import the data back again into winmail from C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail, but luckily all the data was there without corrupted!

The thing I like winmail about is that I can create various folders and put all the related emails that I sent or received into the same folder, just like shown this screen shot which had been built up in years. This way I can organize each of my working emails into the relevant folders. So far I do not know about any other mail app that can let me do that. Do you have any recommendations? I don't think the win10 builtin mail app can do that? even if yes, how can I import all my old emails into the new app? That is why I can not live without winmail.

I guess finally I can not avoid this windows system update but next time I will be very careful. I will make sure I read your tutorial updates before I do it. You had helped me make winmail work in my Vista, win7 and win10 systems in all these years. Thank you very much!

Danny

Attachments

• 20180304150727.png
    20180304150727.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 53

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
I wonder how did you see the "F." in my screen shot?

Your 3rd screenshot shows F (i circled in red) on this screenshot, yes? no?

F.jpg

Why does it say F: ?
...and if yes and it's looking for it on F: ..then I would have investigated that first, and clicked the browse button and pointed it to the proper folder on C:\ instead

There is nothing we can do about it now though since you restored it, which btw, nice job.

fyi,
If everyone creates the proper backups, you could 'Restore' or even 'Transfer to another computer and/or different OS's' (without importing) ...your entire WinMail setup right back to Exactly how it was on the source the day you made the backup.
See instructions how to do that within the Spoiler on Post #1 under Backup Process.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Really! I looked several times but never noticed that F: o_O Obviously it was the reason why it was not successful.

Anyway, it will not be neglected next time when I have to deal with an updated Windows version.

Thanks a lot!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Well no problem Danny, it's all a good learning experience.
However you should not have received that prompt in the first place! There was something wrong!

I have now updated the Post #1 Tutorial information Spoiler with the Backup Information.
I should of put that in there years ago. Actually I did post it in many posts in the SevenForums WinMail thread, and many posts within this EightForums thread too ..but anyway, I now consolidated it all in one place. I'll fine-tune edit it as I go along.

And so Danny (everyone) before you do any updates or installs, be sure to make a backup of your message store folder of your 'already setup' WinMail , and also same for that registry key mentioned - it could (and will eventually) save you days of time and grief, and so take control of your WinMail destiny and make these Simple backups, and save them aside.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello everyone!
First of all, apologies for my English!
I introduce myself. My name is Jorge and I have managed to run Windows Mail and Windows Calendar, both in Spanish, in Windows 10 (1709) in both versions (x86 and x64). I only have this problem when trying to Import Mails, both in x86 and x64.

WMImport.jpg

Has it happened to anybody? Did anyone find the fix?

Thanks in advance!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 2600k OC
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 1070
Hello Jorge, and welcome to the Eight Forums

I don't use the import button, and instead since I always use WinMail and am always coming/going from a 'WinMail to WinMail' client setup, we don't need to use the ''Import'' from another email client method, and instead use the 'Create Backup' method I outline in the Tutorial on Post 1 ..to read it go to Post 1, click the information 'Spoiler' button, and scroll down to Create Backups, and use that method instead.

Hopefully you have WinMail currently setup already? ..even if on Vista, Win7, Win8, or even an older version of Win10?
If yes, and you already have it setup and can get to it, then use the method I outlined - I use it all the time and it works excellent.

If you are trying to import from a Different email client, then I can't help you sorry, and I'm not even sure that function works anymore.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello, Endeavor. Thanks for answering.

The reason I want to use "Import Mail" is because I have to migrate Windows Mail from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Now, if I copy the folder "C: \ Users \ yourcomputername \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows Mail" from Windows 7 to Windows 10, an error is generated when trying to send and receive emails. Even when I combine the reg file ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows Mail")

This error when sending and receiving mail is generated by the change of the file WindowsMail.pat (in Windows 7) by WindowsMail.jfm (in Windows 10), which is associated with the file WindowsMail.MSMessageStore.

Without the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore file and the WindowsMail.pat file, all imported mails appear as unread.

So, the final reason why I try to import emails is to show the read / unread emails in Windows Mail and keep the original files WindowsMail.MSMessageStore and WindowsMail.jfm which do not generate errors when sending and receiving emails when loading the email account from Tools / Accounts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core i7 2600k OC
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 1070
Hello Jorge,
I am not sure I understand your wording, and what you are actually doing?
There should be no reason (AFAIK) for you to be concerned about ..pat or especially ..jfm files.
Why, specifically? (..besides what you've said already which I don't agree with, so show me)
If you have a problem please take a screenshot of the error in English, it will help me understand what you are saying better.
When I manually place thousands of emails from my Win7 WinMail setup, over to Win10 v1709, they retain the same read status as it was on the source, they do not all change to all unread. Also there is no errors sending/receiving either.
See my post #364 above with the spoiler screenshot, there it shows (in that particular newsgroup logon anyway) it had a few new unread posts that just came in that I did not read yet. Everything else was working fine there too.

I have to think logically that out of all the people who have WinMail working have not reported the particular problem that you are, and so I tend to think the problem is something you are not doing right? ...i think anyway.

I'm wondering, did you use all attachments and instructions on post 1+2 tutorial, or did you do any other method? Yes? No?

Is your source Windows 7 WinMail working good? Yes? No?

Does your Win7 WinMail client send/receive email good and in good working order? Yes? No?

If yes, then on a new virgin setup of Windows 10, if you follow the steps 1 - 7 on post 1 using only those attachments and instructions, and for v1709 also use post 2 step 8, and then follow the Backup/Restore instructions exactly, it should work.
The instructions are Exacting, everything is worded in a exact way for a reason. I imagine it would be hard to use a Translator on the wording from one language to another, and still get all the nuances.

If yours does not work right, please show me screenshots or even a screen video of what you are doing and the exact problems, because I have to be able to see and re-create the problem, in order to understand what you are experiencing.

(fyi, the import button function on v1709 does not work anymore, and the last version it worked on is v1607 b14393, verified; however manually using the Backup/Restore write-up procedures exactly as written, will work just fine and that is a tested / working)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
View attachment 70553

Why does it say F: ?
...and if yes and it's looking for it on F: ..then I would have investigated that first, and clicked the browse button and pointed it to the proper folder on C:\ instead

Hello Endeavor,
I tried again today to upgrade the system and did everything in threads 1 and 2. Then I start winmail and same thing happens again. The screenshot above shows up and the F: is there. No matter how I chose the folder the F: remains there unchanged. I don't know why it say F: and I do not have a F: drive in my computer. I am stuck here again...
Danny

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
I am just not able to change that "F:" to "C:", no matter what... I don't understand... is there anything I can do? I have had the proper back up put into C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail already.

Attachments

• 20180320225309.png
    20180320225309.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20180304003437.png
    20180304003437.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180304003455.png
    20180304003455.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 102

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
I don't know why it says F:\ either, unless it's from some previous import job you did, or something you are just not realizing, and/or something you are not doing right in the restore, but once it initializes and starts those dated folder creates then I think that gets hardcoded into the your "WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" file itself and it's trash, and then you'll have to start over. It needs to see it right the first time!

There are so many things it could be, and while I know it's a simple answer and resolve, I just can't see through the air with my own eyes and my fingers onto your keyboard to know what you did, and what your previous setup was.

I've done this process hundreds of times over the years , and copied it to all different OS's and never had that problem.

For the heck of it, I just did it again, I took a new v1709, did steps 1 through 8, started WinMail, it opened but was not setup yet. I shut WM down. Then I did my specific Create Backup/Restore procedure (deleting WM store folder there, replacing it with mine, merged reg) ..started WinMail again, and it opened and was Fully setup with all options, emails accounts, Everything!, ..it had yesterdays inbox, all 26,256 emails/and newsgroups posts within it all in many various folders.

When I went to send myself a test email, the only thing it prompted me was to re-enter in my server passwords, and I sent myself and email and it went out, and then I click again to receive that email.

The only thing I can suggest to you is export a reg of this folder key "on your source WinMail that's already fully setup and optioned and fully working":
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail"
..zip it and attach it to me via PM or email, and I will take a look at it to see if I can figure it out. I'll even delete my registry folder key, and merge yours (on my 'off-line' test bench) to see what it does.

What would be much more helpful in combination with that above reg, is if on that same 'fully working' WinMail source, you right click on and create a .rar backup (password protect it!) of this Message Store folder:
...of course you don't attach it, but PM me with a link where to get it, and with the password to unlock it.
Don't send me the corrupted one! ...it has to be your last previous working one where its fully working!
(actually I want to see a screenshot of your source eMail client fully opened too, and what OS, and a screenshot of your working message store folder)
Then I will restore your setup "OffLine" (internet disconnected) on my Test Bench tower, and then be able to see what is happening.
Now, LoL, I realize it's your personal info (which I have no interest in) ....and since I can't come to your house to fix it! ..I see no other way!? I will delete everything after I resolve the problem, and as mentioned it will never access online, and besides I will not have your servers passwords anyway - I don't want them either! ..I only need the Registry Export, and your working Message Store Folder. I'm not sure I can do it with Registry Export only.
fwiw my 10 year old message store folder zip or rar ..is over 100 MB.

I don't blame you if you don't want to, no problem! I understand completely!

Here's a new screenshot of my new v1709 message store folder this morning, after I deleted the one that was there, and un-rar'd my backup in it's place (remember no double nested WM folder!)
MessageStoreFolderNewInstallThisMorning.jpg

I could of made a new screenshot of the whole WM GUI again today, but don't want to go overboard with screenshots - but just know it's a variation of the one I posted the other day in post 364 in the last spoiler screenshot on that post, but this was 'another' new install of it and a newer backup restore! You see, I keep my Windows 7 WinMail Client fully WinMail updated too, and that's what I used for a backup source in my new Win10 WinMail restore today!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I don't know how exactly to do what you suggest me do. My computer knowledge limits me... I now want to try restore the system back to the older version again and see what will happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
iirc, if you are using the on-board restore rollback, I don't think it will let you go back twice in a row on an OS update..?
That's why I've always exclaimed that every half-serious computer user should use software to separately make OS partition (or full drive) image backups. It makes restoring OS's back in time just a simple task, and gives you UnLimited flexibility that you can only imagine possible on every level. You can restore backwards to a particular moment in your computers evolution a million times if you want.

With all due respect, even though re-instating WinMail is easier for advanced computer users and takes no more than 5 minutes for a complete WinMail restore to itself, or from one OS to the other; but, no one should even bother with it (or anything else complex) if you are not computer savvy. And while I would like to help everyone in the world if they need it, and I always offer, but one must be self-sufficient with computers before even attempting any such computer changes.

Besides partition imaging and even if you don't use it, but for your WinMail longevity you should always, always, always, at least keep a .zip or .rar backup of a WORKING Windows mail message store folder, and an export of its settings registry key - and of course always keeping it current and up to date. That very simply task alone, which just takes minutes (and do it Before there is a problem) ..can save the day for your complete WinMail client being able to easily fully restore itself for years to come! I don't know what more I can say

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
There's really a lot to be learned. Although I had luckily got the winmail working in my new systems in the past (with the help from your threads here), I do not quite understand how it works. After so many lessons, I hope I can keep on being lucky next time... and do it better...by the way, after restoring the system again, I got it working on my computer again. Now I will disable the update function of my computer, until I can successfully do it in another computer with a higher version. Really thank you very much for answering me along!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
I am very happy for you that you were able to roll it back to earlier version again Danny!
Be sure to make a backup of the reg and folder and zip them and keep it in a safe place: USB stick, etc.
(you know what a .zip or .rar of a file is right? ..what do you use for a zip/rar program, or do you have one? .. like WinRAR or 7-Zip, etc, or do you just use the Windows 'built-in one: SendTo> Compressed Zip Folder)

I don't know what you did not understand of what I asked you to do in my previous post with the zip file, to be of help?

PS
btw, what I always did before, and actually still do even in v1709 to turn Windows Update off, is use within this article on how to Turn Off Windows Update in Services .... I use this particular Option2 item4 reg to stop it from updating version forward. I also make sure in Services that Windows Update is set to Disabled. I decide when I want my OS's to upgrade!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP