My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
I have it working wonderfully - thanks for the comprehensive tutorials.

One thing that is hard to find answers to (someone even asked) was how to force Windows Mail to be registered as the default mail handler. I can get it listed and selectable in "Default Programs", but it will not associate with "mailto:" links.

Any takers?

Also should I refer somewhere else for Windows Calendar, or keep it in this thread?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and a Larger Case Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
I have it working wonderfully - thanks for the comprehensive tutorials.

One thing that is hard to find answers to (someone even asked) was how to force Windows Mail to be registered as the default mail handler. I can get it listed and selectable in "Default Programs", but it will not associate with "mailto:" links.

Any takers?

Also should I refer somewhere else for Windows Calendar, or keep it in this thread?

Hi Jody, did you run the tutorial from post #1 in this thread?
There is an entry in the WinMailEdit.reg when you run it that makes WinMail the Default Mail Client if that's what you mean, so you must not of run it yet?
It's only a line or two of registry entry for that particular issue, and I could detail it if necessary, but advantages of running the tutorial and getting its WinMailEdit.reg merged is best imho.

As far as Calendar it would be the same as it was in Windows 7, I know Ex_Brit in this thread uses it. (I've never had a need for it myself so have never re-instated it)
You can find the information how to do it here:
Windows Calendar - Import into Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Just a tidbit to mention about our loved WinMail program, I find it very interesting when installing and testing the new Windows 10 Technical Preview today, that the WinMail folder...just like it was in Windows 7 & Windows 8, is in Windows 10 too! ...and so of course I decided to install WinMail the same way as I did in Windows 8 into Windows 10, and sure enough it works! ..as you can see by my first opening of WinMail on Windows 10 my screenshot of it Here

You can read how to do it back in post #1 if you want, of which you do the same thing as you did in Windows 8 for Windows 10 to get WinMail going.

I find it interesting is all that MS puts the WinMail program folders on Windows 10 too, but I'm glad!

Long Live Windows Mail ! :p

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
The process worked for me just fine. WinMail working on Windows 8.1 64bit.

One bug-
Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance > Empty Deleted messages on Exit

Check mark does not stay checked. Works fine in Windows 7 32 and 64.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    i5 4210U
    Memory
    8GB
I have winmail installed on a win 8.1 machine. It was working fine earlier today but now I keep getting this message:
pop3.jpg

Can someone help me please and thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
The process worked for me just fine. WinMail working on Windows 8.1 64bit.

One bug-
Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance > Empty Deleted messages on Exit

Check mark does not stay checked. Works fine in Windows 7 32 and 64.

This is a known issue with 64 bit users and most likely will never be fixed, sorry.

Edit: This issue has now been fixed, please see post 1 with its Update_5-2018.zip

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I have winmail installed on a win 8.1 machine. It was working fine earlier today but now I keep getting this message:

Can someone help me please and thanks.

This is not a WinMail Windows 8 issue, it's more to do with the normal setup of WM and the account options itself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
You can apply the method of Nifu.[/QUOTE]

I did that and I'm still getting the error that the MSOE.DLL can't be loaded. How do I get that to load?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    unknown
    Memory
    8 GIG RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    unknown
    Browser
    MozillaFireFox
    Antivirus
    Ad-Aware
Follow the recommended procedure and you will not have a problem

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Windows 8.1 update this weekend killed Windows Mail. I reinstated it again, but it still won't run. It does start now but says it cannot open the W. M. Store. I hit ok, it goes to the correct folder, but then says the disk may be full or the computer may be out of memory. Neither one is true. The folder is in the right place, there is 73.5 GBs space left, and it has 8 GBs of RAM. I did run the merge file again, but that hasn't helped.
Hope this is in the right place. How do I fix, folks? Thank you thank you thank you!
Ron K

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP-L2000
    CPU
    AMD 2.2 GHz
    Memory
    2 Gigs
Hi Ron,

Okay so I updated my Windows 8 with every update offered at Windows Updates, and my WinMail still works fine with the updates <shrug>.
(Ex_Brit - is yours still working fine too?)

However even though everything seems to work fine for me, test bench observing what all the updates did was very interesting (and another subject) is that MS did replace (actually re-versioned them as well) a few but not all files in the WinMail folder... However having said that, Mine still works fine.

As you know the procedures for installing WinMail on 8 are surly different than it is with WinMail on 7, where on 8 when you first install/reinstate WinMail after taking folder ownership, you replace All the files in your WM Programs Folder with what you had in your same working Windows 7 folder; on 7 though you only change the msoe.dll. (not that it matters but interestingly they did not touch msoe on the 8 update) Anyway, the information of replacing your 8 Programs folder with your saved 7 Programs folder following (although maybe not perfectly written) the Tutorial on this forum, is the answer to getting you back working.
Also I know you told me last year you use an imaging program to backup your C:\ partition, and so right there, you also have a way to instantly get it working again, and then proceed, etc...

From Your Post over in the SevenForums, yes your newly Outlook Express install renamed your WinMail folder to old and so there you just needed to delete the one they made and rename yours back. However Ron, from our previous conversations last year I was never convinced how or what you did to re-instate your Windows 8 WinMail setup properly. Also the fact that you have multiple email clients installed now further complicates trouble shooting to the point that I don't know if I want to, only because, said in an appreciative way, you fly by the seat of your pants <smile> with how you roll on the will of the wisp ..and I'm very methodical and need the i's dotted and the t's crossed when I do installs or testing.

Don't do any major installs or updates without first creating a backup partition image. Put yourself in control...in the drivers seat, and don't let software situations control you.

Take Control :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Endeavor, thank you so much for the info. Right now I'm working on an old desktop, dual boot w/ XP and 7, trying to clone the 2 drives and install newer ones- for safety's sake. After I get that headache resolved and the migraine I already have, I'll tackle this issue again. U R right Sir. I have multiple email clients. I love gadgets. To me, email programs are more gadgets. I know. I can hear you say it- "No WONDER you have a migraine!!" heh heh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP-L2000
    CPU
    AMD 2.2 GHz
    Memory
    2 Gigs
My WinMail stopped working after a Microsoft update in Windows 8.1 I use the Desktop to access and use most of the Desktop for email, web browsing , use MS office 2007 etc. I tried reinstalling as per the winTut from windows 7 forum but noticed it seemed like it kept saying access denied. After fighting with this for a few hours I decided to try a simpler approach. I took ownership of the WinMail folder, deleted all the files and copied all new files from another Windows 7 machine that I had preiviously used the WinTut process.
Easy approach and all works now. All the pervious email messages, contacts, accounts -- everything was still there. Even the shortcut in the toolbar still worked. Just thought I would pass this on if you are having a similar problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi normrdt,

Welcome to the Eight Forums of which I see this is your first post.

You didn't need to struggle with it for a few hours though, it would of only taken a minute to replace the few files in your programs folder that the Windows Update overwrote to get you working again if you had installed it correctly in the first place. Reading your post I can tell you first installed your process out of order is all, but all of this is already outlined within this thread that you just posted in, back on Post #1 on how to reinstate WinMail on Windows 8.

Anyway congratulations on getting WinMail working again, it's a simple process.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Attempted install of WinMail on Win 8.1. Target machine is Asus Transformer Notebook running 8.1, 32 bit version.

Recently purchased machine new. Installed all latest maint. from Windows Update. I have 2 running ThinkPads with Win7 64bit. Have installed Windows Mail on them, 64bit version, with no problems.

What was done....
- Pgm files\Windows Mail emptied on Asus
- Copied Windows Mail files from Pgm(86)\ Windows Mail from one of the Win 7 machines to the Asus
- Ran Brink's TutReWinMail process using 32 bit version
- copied msidcrl30.dll from .....WOW64\system32 to Asus
- put shortcut on desktop

No joy!!

Problems..
- when try to register msidcrl30.dll ... get error that says "...module loaded but entry-point DLLRegisteServer not found. Make sure .... is a valid dll or ocx, then try again.

- get same msg if use file from Endeavor on pg 1 of this thread.

- if click on desktop shortcut or the WinMail.exe ... no errors - no reaction. Probably nothing running.. looked that way when I looked at TaskManager.

Ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Attempted install of WinMail on Win 8.1. Target machine is Asus Transformer Notebook running 8.1, 32 bit version.

Recently purchased machine new. Installed all latest maint. from Windows Update. I have 2 running ThinkPads with Win7 64bit. Have installed Windows Mail on them, 64bit version, with no problems.

What was done....
- Copied Windows Mail files from Pgm(86)\ Windows Mail from one of the Win 7 machines to the Asus

No joy!!

Problems..
- when try to register msidcrl30.dll ... get error that says "...module loaded but entry-point DLLRegisteServer not found. Make sure .... is a valid dll or ocx, then try again.

- if click on desktop shortcut or the WinMail.exe ... no errors - no reaction. Probably nothing running.. looked that way when I looked at TaskManager.

Ideas?

See also Nifu #19 on pg 2 of this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10Prox64, Win8Prox86, Win7Prox64, VistaHomex86
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What was done....

No joy!!

Problems..

Ideas?

See also Nifu #19 on pg 2 of this thread.

Thanks very much, Nestor. Did items in #19. Worked fine. Also had to do the TutReWinMail since I run the 64bit version on my Win 7 machines, and the new box is 32bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Back