• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

Ex_Brit

Older - But No Wiser
Pro User
It's weird, W10 security wants me to enter the account details manually despite importing my backed up .iaf files containing all that information already.
I'm scratching my head at the moment wondering what to do next......not your fault, but I just wondered if anyone had this experience.
In the meantime I'm simply reading my email online at my webmail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
despite importing my backed up .iaf files containing all that information already.
I've tried to explain in my post above, and also in the Tutorials spoiler notes.
I don't like to mix the two backup methods, and don't like using .iaf with the new Windows Backup/Restore procedures
Mixing of account info between the two methods can and does happen, which can be detrimental.

For one thing when using .iaf files, know that each iaf only contains info for one account only, and so you would need to create one on each and every account, and so if you have 15 accounts you would need to export on each one - HOWEVER, it's known that .iaf files export more than just passwords, they also export it's xxxxxxx.oeaccount info as well as many other things (edit them and see for yourself) The Backup/Restore procedure I give (no .iaf exports or imports needed or wanted) gets EVERYTHING at once (except name/pass) (security feature) ..however the latest Win10 upgrades (I've seen myself) ..change those xxxxx.oeaccount names, etc, and so here's where mixing comes in where in your new updated message store folder contains one unique xxxxxx.oeaccount numbers which was changed by the upgrade, and then you merge an old .iaf file which had another - and you have a mismatch and incorrect info - it gets complex.

That's why I say, and I stand by the exact procedure of the Backup/Restore method, which contains EVERYTHING needed (except name/pass) (security precaution)
...and in the process of my Backup/Restore method, which includes after the upgrade you delete the new message store folder created and the new corrupted info along with it, and place the last saved working backup message store folder in its place, which automatically takes care of everything preventing mixing. The last working backup contains everyting needed, it worked before and it will work again. By the nature of the delete of the new one removes the new xxx.oeaccount files, etc, etc, created by the upgrade which are not compatible with the old, etc, etc, etc, on many levels x10.
It's too much to explain every single time to each person, sorry.
Either do the Backup/Restore procedure completely and correctly (which Peter you did not I can tell) ..or move on to another email client going forward.

All the info is in the tutorial, including spoilers, of which to explain every mi-nute detail more than what I have, would take too many pages besides what I already give in Post 1 & 2 ...and I can tell people don't read completely what I have there already in the first place, you haven't <g> .. <g> I want to be considerate and respectful, but at the same time frank..

People either need to do it the right way the first time, as outlined in Post 1 & 2, including the Backup/Restore procedure - No Exceptions anymore! ..or move on to another supported email client.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

Ex_Brit

Older - But No Wiser
Pro User
Well then I'm screwed. I'll have to set up everything from scratch regarding email accounts. I have always backed WM that way. My eyesight is getting so bad that I can't read large buches of text very easily so tend to look for things I'm familiar with.
Thanks and sorry to trouble you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
I want to keep the tutorial as short as I can, while being as accurate as I can.
It's complex yes; yet simple.
It does require a full read, no skipping around, no impatience, again requires a Full Read and most importantly a Full Understanding Before anyone proceeds, which includes a full Backup of the Backup/Restore Procedures beforehand - Especially for Windows 10!
There is no way around it.
It's as easy as ever, but takes understanding and commitment. It's not for everyone to do.

I know Peter you have been around a long time, and are a respected member of many forums.

I am very sorry for your eyesight! ..If I was at your house I would do it for you.

Peace & Respect to you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Is there any way of stopping Windows insisting on verifying user name and password for every account?
I have 8 email accounts and simply imported the .iaf files backed up in my document folders.
It will mean that I have to a "Forgot Password" routine for all of them as I can't remember what the passwords are/were.

If you have the accounts previously working on another instance, you can use BulletsPassView from Nirsoft to recover the passwords. This is quite useful if you don't have them stored somewhere, e.g., in a password manager, text file, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393)

Ex_Brit

Older - But No Wiser
Pro User
Thanks Endeavor and tmthywynn8 - much appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
That BulletsPassView tmthywynn8 pointed out in his last post above, works very well after adjusting options and a quick curve how to use it, I tested it the other day, but obviously it must be used Before any upgrades when WinMail accounts are working correctly; naturally it's best to have them already saved in a text file beforehand. I've used other softwares before that does the similar thing to Reveal the password or code behind the xxxxx bullets; with WinMail you'll still need the server username iirc. Anyway I put a link to this program in the Backup/Restore procedure now, thank you. It may come in handy for those who've forgotten their password and don't have them saved somewhere, but please don't let that happen. How hard is it anyway when you first setup any mail Client (or any software) to save name/passwords into a text file, and have it available when you need it - come on it's basic things to do!

fwiw, I for one am not in any hurry to rush to 'upgrade' Win10 to v1909 on my main towers; even for WinMail users I don't recommend it unless you're very hip, into it, and have full partition backups of C:\ beforehand no matter what to be prepared, to be able to Fully and properly revert/restore. Always be 100% in full control of your computer.
I personally prefer to wait for an actual ISO download instead of bloaty upgrades, and then fresh install that from scratch; the heck with bloaty upgrades it's not my thing. When finished with the iso fresh install and setting up the OS, then the re-instate WinMail procedure, and then use the Backup/Restore procedure to bring my previous up to date fully working WinMail setup, into the new version OS.

I still love using Windows 8 and Windows 7 anyway, and use them all the time; even right now typing this message on. I'm never in any hurry or feel pressured to update to the supposed latest and greatest. As for WinMail on each of my OS's, when needed, I swap the full message store over onto each one when I need to ..click, click, click and in a minute it's done.
Restoring or Transferring a complete full message store backup is very easy, I do it all the time. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Anyway I've updated the Tutorial changing around Step 2 to Step 1 and some re-wording as well. I want to make very sure that people know not to update or upgrade Windows 10 unless you make a full WinMail Backup using the Backup/Restore procedures, first!

Just to keep up though, I've also taken the time to install and test WinMail on v1909, everything went fine of course, and then posted the working WinMail screenshot of that as I always do, on post 2

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

Ex_Brit

Older - But No Wiser
Pro User
Great job Endeavor !! :D:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
I had to restore my win 10 from the restore option and now i lost all of emails that were in win mail? Is there a storage i can retrieve them from?
Hello stiffler,

You did not really take the time to explain any needed details though; however, if you created a zip backup of the message store folder as the Step 1 instructions points you to the Backup/Restore procedures to do - did you create a backup?
..If yes, then you can never lose any messages as long as you have that backup zip of it.
Rather than me keep retyping the procedure here though, go back and read the backup and restore instructions on what to do, completely, and understand it.
Once your backup is made of the message store folder, you can never lose anything, it'll always be there within your latest dated backup zip of your message store folder, simply restore it as directed. It's easy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
never made a back up sadly.
It is sad.. please never make that mistake again.

Don't understand how i lost all of them from a restore a few days back?
What restore? How can you make a restore of it - if you did not create a backup?

All the information and answers to any questions you could ever want to know about WinMail, has been continuously and laboriously written into the Post 1 & 2 tutorials. I update it constantly to cover every detail that could possibly ever come up.
Please, Please take the time to read and understand it, BEFORE, letting Windows 10 do any updates on itself.

It's so easy to make a WinMail Message Store Backup, and as I said, can be a lifesaver when you need to use it, and Everyone Will !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
win 10 restore point i selected
Go back two or three restore points if you can?

No where in the WinMail tutorial is there a mention of using a restore point as a backup of the message store folder; it's not always that simple. Restore points can be limited. I never use them ever.

As a secondary or last resort though, if you have a full partition image backup, and if you don't want to restore the complete image, then instead you could explore it and pull that (dated) message store folder out of it and use it, but that's the harder way and only a last chance effort.

However, Always first to do, is so blessed simple and so easy to do Beforehand, and takes less than 60 seconds, is right click on the message store folder, and create a backup zip of it, and a backup of WinMail HKCU as indicated in the instructions.
If you have those two backups, you can quickly and easily restore your complete WinMail message store data and the GUI settings, in 60 seconds flat - done!

Everyone that uses WinMail:
Please read the Backup / Restore Procedures, and always always always have a backup, period.
If you don't, that's your fault, and you will have to start over from WinMail default, scratch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

stiffler

i will for now on, i needed to do a sytem restore cause my system got corrupted and when i returned to a earlier date i had no emails at all any more which is strange, but will back alot more now.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
i will for now on, i needed to do a sytem restore cause my system got corrupted and when i returned to a earlier date i had no emails at all any more which is strange, but will back alot more now.
<PM> - i did i tried all 3 restore points I had with nothing
Okay, that's a tough break, very sorry.

Ever since the Windows Mail code was depreciated out of Windows 10, you cannot depend on Windows 10 in any of its updates or restore processes, to keep it together for you as the Win10 OS may (usually) will depreciate it again.

For WinMail, always Manually create a full Message Store backup including its Windows Mail HKCU..for its GUI settings save.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

Haunted

For WinMail, always Manually create a full Message Store backup including its Windows Mail HKCU
May I ask your professional advise (we have communicated on the issue before), what exactly to backup, if one does not want / does not find necessary to backup all emails?

All my emails are stored elsewhere, what can be backed up excluding all emails? Perhaps you could specify.

1. Windows Mail HKCU - this is clear
2. full message store backup - what needs to be backed up, what can be skipped?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
May I ask your professional advice (we have communicated on the issue before), what exactly to backup, if one does not want / does not find necessary to backup all emails?

2. full message store backup - what needs to be backed up, what can be skipped?
Reading some of your previous posts with your questions back in September when you had some message store corruption during upgrade - I remember you.

My answer is everything should be backed up and Nothing should ever be skipped - they all go in tandem one way or the other really. The xxxx.oeaccount information is tenacious, and with the upgrade of the latest builds of Win10 WinMail gets depreciated again, that process discards so much data, and when you reinstate WinMail (without having backups) and open it, rewrites all new message store values default while creating new xxxx.oeaccount files in the default location And gives you all new account numbers - that's fine for first time WinMail users with no previous installation who will start from scratch, however for the majority of us with long standing installations with years of important message store data of mail and newsgroups, etc, in place, that will never do and message store corruption will occur and you will lose your data - however for us, just by doing the Backup / Restore procedures with steps 1, 2, and 3 ..will overwrite all that backwards, correctly and exactly assimilated to the point of our last dated Backup.

1. Windows Mail HKCU - this is clear
As mentioned though in the tutorial, the HKCU Only contains all WinMails basic GUI settings, rules, etc and nothing to do with your all your actual Account data information which is contained within the Message Store folder ...however as I'm typing here, it dawned on me that the Store Root key (as anyone can see) is in that WinMail HKCU and does at least contain the accounts message "Store Path" information, and you had changed yours is all, and so, it seems reasonable to me..?...if back then if you had already done the Backup steps 1, 2, 3 beforehand (your step 1 will be the same it's just that it will be making a zip of your own default path folder location) So when you upgrade your Win10 OS and your WinMail is all broken afterwards we know that will happen, but when you do the WinMail re-instate procedures of post 1 & 2 first, and and then Before opening WinMail..(so as not to cement alternate registry keys before ready) you do the Restore steps 1, 2, and 3 ..and since your step 2 reg will already contain your own default message store path, I think upon first open everything may/should work out just as it does for the rest of us - and work normally*
Perhaps next time I do an upgrade test, I just may change my default message store folder path to another location for the 'test' of it, and do all the procedures as stated, just to see how it will work for meself to see the results. Theoretically, in my mind, it should still work as long as things are done in order and as stated, properly; but feel I'm forgetting something about this though having already tested it a while ago, so pass at your own risk here, and have backups of everything*

*I still recommend and only support doing a Backup, AND a Restore, leaving it at the Default setting location @ :
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

fwiw,
For the last week I was already in the process of re-wording specifically the Backup / Restore procedure into a specific Step 1, 2, 3 itemized procedure to make it numeric to be a little more concise. Actually Haunted since the last time You were here there have been many re-wordings and additions as I'm always working on that better.
You (everyone) should familiarize themselves with the whole tutorial process again as it's sure to be different than you last remembered.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP

stiffler

When i go to options and select maintenance and check delete messages that are in the deleted folder upon shutdown there still there when i open up win mail again?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7

Ripperoo

Hi Guys

Only just come across this this thread after basically being forced/scared into thinking about upgrading to "Windows 10" following the EOL of my trusty "Windows 7" machine a few days ago.

I've had "Windows Mail" working perfectly on my "Windows 7" (64-Bit) desktop since installing the required Vista (64-Bit) files back in 2011.

So I made backups of my "Windows Mail" stuff (Program Folder/Store Folder/Registry Entries) and used the info and files from this post to install "Windows Mail" on my 64-Bit "Windows 10" laptop I have lying around, making sure I copied the "Windows Mail" folder to the "Programs Files" folder and NOT the the "Programs Files (x86)" folder.

However, after completing all the steps and double-clicking (once) on the "Windows Mail" shortcut, nothing happened.

I checked "Task Manager" to see if "Windows Mail" had launched in the background and there was so many instances of "Windows Mail" running that the laptop stopped responding and crashed.

So I rebooted the laptop and opened "Task Manager" first, before launching "Windows Mail" only to see the "Background Processes" jump from approx 60 (at idle) to well over 2500 instances of "Windows Mail" in under a minute. It was still increasing, but I switched of the laptop at this point as the CPU was @ 66% and RAM was @ 99%.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    i5 8250U
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)