• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10

killer

Endeavor, thanks for your patience! It works now! I could open up a fresh blank winmail where I am free to import my mails and accounts anyway I want! :D:D:D

The post 1+2 works better than previously. You must have refined it. I didn't need to read anywhere else to get it started up quick.
My current Win 10 version is 1803 Build 17134.48

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win10, macOS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
It works now!
It always worked ;)

You must have refined it
I can promise you no files were changed since your very first post!
...it's just what You did with them that has changed ;)

The only difference is that I wrote up specific instructions to fix/reset yours in my previous post, is when you told me you had a relocated store folder, and you upgraded, and your WM would not open with that particular error, and I saw you had a corrupted store folder.

If anyone performed my previous posts instructions exactly it fully resets WinMail for v1709+ back to 100% 'first open' Default

However if anyone keeps an updated Backup/Restore procedure, you will NEVER have a need to reset it like that!

Anyway, killer, I am happy for you, and am proud of you for finally getting a handle on it.
Once you get the different procedures and scenarios down, you will be an expert :)

..and really it's all very easy (for seasoned computer users) ..I just had to write that big pink disclaimer for appropriateness.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

BridgeHead

Just upgraded another laptop to Windows 10 version 1803. After carefully completing all the steps, WinMail booted up the first time, albeit without message rules and requiring passwords. So I immediately closed down and ran the .reg file I had recently saved with all the WinMail entries in it. While I was not surprised to see the message rules come back, what did surprise me was that the passwords for all the accounts were also in place. I never thought about it, but the passwords must be contained in the registry. It was also nice that I didn't have to use the recent backup since as endeavor has previously noted, the data files were not touched.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
Passwords are not stored/located in the registry, but instead within the xxxxxxx.oeaccount files.
Also, performing OS upgrades do not remove server passwords on an established WM and will remain, not needing reentry. However when doing any Fresh OS install with a WM reinstate using the Backup/Restore method to replicate your previous setup over to your new OS, you will then need those passwords to be manually entered once, when the handshake happens with the target server itself asking to be confirmed; it's an appropriate security check.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi. I apologize in advance, but not sure if there is a better place to ask this question. I have two computers running WinMail on Windows 10 version 1803. They both seem to have regular problems when replying to messages in that they will hang up. At first there will just be a spinning circle which significantly delays typing in the message field. If the message isn't completed in a minute or so, the entire application will hang requiring an end process and restart.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or have any idea what could be causing it? I have no problems in creating new messages or forwarding messages only when replying.

Thanks in advance,
Don

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10

endeavor

VIP Member
VIP Member
Guru
Don,
As I briefly looked back months ago at some of your previous posts with what you were doing incorrectly at first that created the problems and reasons for those initial posts, by placing files differently, etc, than how it's outlined to be done; I wondered if any of those placements are still at odds, and/or if you are still doing everything correctly now. Everything in the tutorial was written the way it is for a reason.

Moving on from the past though, is to know that I (or anyone else that we know of) do not have this 'reply to' problem that you're having. With the file placings and other things you've done along the path it's hard to know which one (if any) could be causing your problem. You must have something out of place, OR, (if applicable) you are using a previous message store folder that has problems causing this - and unknowingly are carrying over the issue with it.

And so to isolate your issue (even if at first on a spare testing hd) ..one thing for sure is I do know that if you create a brand new fresh virgin Win10 install from scratch, and then setup a virgin WinMail reinstate as per tutorial (with no Backup/Restore procedures 'of any kind' done yet) ...and then 'manually' enter your account setup info - you will not have that reply problem in the new setup.

Going forward then in hindsight you 'might' then be able to determine what it was and 'possibly' what you could do to fix the issue without having to fresh install bypassing what the problem really is.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Is there a way to make the interface Russian?
I suppose it's all related to mui files: msoeres.dll.mui and WinMail.exe.mui from Russian version of WM should be placed to C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\ru-RU folder. If you look at ogri's archives you will find those files.

edit: additional info in my next post

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I suppose it's all related to mui files: msoeres.dll.mui and WinMail.exe.mui from Russian version of WM should be placed to C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\ru-RU folder. If you look at ogri's archives you will find those files.
No. The mui files have no effect. I fixed the lang problem only after copying the whole folder from Russian Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
No. The mui files have no effect. I fixed the lang problem only after copying the whole folder from Russian Vista.
Well, then it appears that mui and dll should go next to each other. According to Dmitriy there are 5 pairs that are responsible for localisation:
MSOERES.dll+msoeres.dll.mui (main interface)
WinMail.exe+WinMail.exe.mui ("missing libraries" dialogues on WM start, e.g. msidcrl30.dll)
ACCTRES.dll+acctres.dll.mui (accounts)
INETRES.dll+inetres.dll.mui (bottom panel on the mail preview + some context menus)
msoert2.dll+msoert2.dll.mui ("Get help from communities" links)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop