How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

This issue to sync messages using a google account has started
stopped syncing messages !!

Google hat announced to turn off "less secure apps" by 30th of May 2022 – they did it on 7th of June (yesterday). Btw.: there should be a (theoretical) possibility to circumvent that with "Google App Passwords"; but to use that you need to activate 2FA – but 2FA needs a phone number to work; a second eMail account (outside of gMail) is not usable for that).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Google hat announced to turn off "less secure apps" by 30th of May 2022 – they did it on 7th of June (yesterday). Btw.: there should be a (theoretical) possibility to circumvent that with "Google App Passwords"; but to use that you need to activate 2FA – but 2FA needs a phone number to work; a second eMail account (outside of gMail) is not usable for that).

Hi ... good news \0/

it´s working !!! is needed enable the 2 steps verification and create de App Password

Create and use app passwords

Access your Google Account.
In the left navigation, choose Security.
In the "Sign in to Google" panel, choose App passwords. If you don't see this option:
Two-step validation is not configured for your account.
Two-step validation is configured for security keys only.
Obtained your Google Account through work, school or another entity.
You turned on Advanced Protection for your account.
At the bottom, choose Select app and the app you are using.
Choose Select Device and the device you are using.
Choose Generate.
Follow the instructions to enter the application password. The app password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
Choose Done.
Most of the time, you only have to enter an app password once per app or device, so you don't have to worry about remembering it.

You may not be able to use an app password for less secure apps. Learn more about less secure applications.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
All my gmail accounts stopped working today? Keeps asking for user names and passwords and when i enter them it does nothing? For all my 4 accounts.
Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
All my gmail accounts stopped working today? Keeps asking for user names and passwords and when i enter them it does nothing? For all my 4 accounts.

This is not a malfunction of WinMail per-sey, but with how other applications interact with it.
This gmail issue has been coming for a while and has been a known.
The changes that gmail made affects not just WinMail users, but also Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc

Google Problem Search Link: Here

As I wrote a few months ago about this gmail change, I personally choose (ymmv) to never use Windows Mail in conjunction with any online third party free commercial email companies like gmail, yahoo, etc, to pull in my email. There is nothing more 'not-private' about it with marketing bots continuously scanning the content of your emails, as well as any establishment with the power to do so.

I only use WinMail connected to my own name dot com server using pop, imap, whatever, with none of these google limitations. Your own dot com gives a thousand email address capability, in that way you have full control over it without the prying eyes that constantly watch when you use these free online email services; which btw are never free because you pay for them dearly with your privacy.

There is nothing for me or the WinMail tutorial to fix, and so if you insist on using gmail you must adapt to use it, or move on to a gmail supported client

As you read back you can see users have been posting about this new gmail change within the last two pages of posts, with what they are doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
View attachment 72133

Hi ... follow this steps to solve

it´s working !!! is needed enable the 2 steps verification and create de App Password

Create and use app passwords

Access your Google Account.
In the left navigation, choose Security.
In the "Sign in to Google" panel, choose App passwords. If you don't see this option:
Two-step validation is not configured for your account.
Two-step validation is configured for security keys only.
Obtained your Google Account through work, school or another entity.
You turned on Advanced Protection for your account.
At the bottom, choose Select app and the app you are using.
Choose Select Device and the device you are using.
Choose Generate.
Copy the new app password to account settings and save
Choose Done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
I have been using Windows Mail since it first showed up in Vista, long ago. It was so much like Outlook Express, it was familiar to me.
But, I never did understand why MS felt like they had to change something that worked so well. ???

I used a tweak and a hack to get 'Windows Mail' it working in Windows 7, and later Windows 8.1. Still worked GREAT till Google decided to Block it. Arggg!
I've finally discovered that it's not the program that's being blocked, it's my UN-Secure password. I know that many people use a very easily hacked or guessed password that is NOT secure at all.

Google's answer to the problem is to require each GMail user to have an "App Password" to replace their old password, in their email program. At first glance, the process of getting one seems like a rat maze, of mouse clicks and multiple log-ins, as well as receiving either a text message or phone call with a secret "CODE" number. Arggg!

I could have never gotten through that whole process, were it not for a very helpful U-Tube video that walked or talked me through the whole process. Then it became simple.
With three GMail accounts, I had to go through acquiring an App Password, three times. And then going into my email programs, (both Windows Mail and O.E.Classic) and replacing my old password, with the new App Password, for each account. Now I have three email programs that work GREAT with GMail.

Since I now understand what Google is trying to accomplish with their 16 digit App Passwords, the whole process is less daunting.

Besides the U-Tube video, there is also a Text Instruction. I opted for the video. AV supersedes text for me, any day.
But for anyone using a NON-Compliant email program like Windows Mail or O.E.Classic, going through the process of getting an App Password, is well worth the time and effort.
By the way, the Mozilla/Thunderbird program can get your GMail without an App Password. I know NOT why! I tried it, and it works just fine, but it's NO Windows Mail.

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:
PS: For those who may be inclined to try the U-Tube video, here the link to it:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Like some others here, I had gmail issues due to 2FA that were solved using an App Password. But I now have two accounts that are Microsoft 365 accounts that stopped working. It seems Microsoft is turning off Basic Authentication account by account. I am able to generate an App Password but it doesn't work (either because admin hasn't enabled something or Microsoft Exchange isn't allowing app password from winmail). For the moment, I am forwarding emails from the affected accounts to others that work and can at least view emails but SMTP isn't working either, so can't send out. Bummer!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Maybe this has been answered here, but I don't find it with SEARCH.

When I get an order confirmation email from Amazon, I always get a couple of script warnings each time.

Amazon error.png

Is there some way to fix this, or is it just a part of Winmail's creakiness.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11 Pro 64bit 22H2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Ryzen 7 homebrew
    CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-fi
    Memory
    64GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce RTX 3070
    Sound Card
    m/b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 ASUS VG289, 2 Samsung LU28E85KRS/GO
    Screen Resolution
    3 4K monitors
    Hard Drives
    2 M.2, 5 SATA and some USB drives
    PSU
    1200W
    Case
    Fractal Design
    Cooling
    Water
    Keyboard
    Microsof Comfort 5050
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    1G/50
    Browser
    Firefox current, with css
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    retired firmware engineer.
I have been using Windows Mail since it first showed up in Vista, long ago. It was so much like Outlook Express, it was familiar to me.
But, I never did understand why MS felt like they had to change something that worked so well. ???

I used a tweak and a hack to get 'Windows Mail' it working in Windows 7, and later Windows 8.1. Still worked GREAT till Google decided to Block it. Arggg!
I've finally discovered that it's not the program that's being blocked, it's my UN-Secure password. I know that many people use a very easily hacked or guessed password that is NOT secure at all.

Google's answer to the problem is to require each GMail user to have an "App Password" to replace their old password, in their email program. At first glance, the process of getting one seems like a rat maze, of mouse clicks and multiple log-ins, as well as receiving either a text message or phone call with a secret "CODE" number. Arggg!

I could have never gotten through that whole process, were it not for a very helpful U-Tube video that walked or talked me through the whole process. Then it became simple.
With three GMail accounts, I had to go through acquiring an App Password, three times. And then going into my email programs, (both Windows Mail and O.E.Classic) and replacing my old password, with the new App Password, for each account. Now I have three email programs that work GREAT with GMail.

Since I now understand what Google is trying to accomplish with their 16 digit App Passwords, the whole process is less daunting.

Besides the U-Tube video, there is also a Text Instruction. I opted for the video. AV supersedes text for me, any day.
But for anyone using a NON-Compliant email program like Windows Mail or O.E.Classic, going through the process of getting an App Password, is well worth the time and effort.
By the way, the Mozilla/Thunderbird program can get your GMail without an App Password. I know NOT why! I tried it, and it works just fine, but it's NO Windows Mail.

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:
PS: For those who may be inclined to try the U-Tube video, here the link to it:

I followed this exactly and yet I still get the password popup from Windows Mail. Is there some special phrase needed in the "app name" box, or is that just for my information?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Ryzen 7 homebrew
    CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
    Motherboard
    Memory
    64GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce RTX 3070
    Sound Card
    m/b
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 ASUS VG289, 2 Samsung LU28E85KRS/GO
    Screen Resolution
    3 4K monitors
    Hard Drives
    2 M.2, 5 SATA and some USB drives
    PSU
    1200W
    Case
    Fractal Design
    Cooling
    Water
    Keyboard
    Microsof Comfort 5050
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    1G/50
    Browser
    Firefox current, with css
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    retired firmware engineer.
When I get an order confirmation email from Amazon, I always get a couple of script warnings each time.

I can't remember ever seeing that error before that you posted a screenshot of.
Last time I received a confirmation from Amazon there were no errors...
MyLastOrder.jpg

..anyway I'm posting from Win7 right now and don't have time to boot Win10 ..which I assume you are posting from?
You don't really give enough information though in your post about your setup and circumstances, etc.. and I don't know if you've followed the post 1 tutorial correctly, or if you combined and used some other method.
Please read Post #3 before posting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Well, the first question I had was "is this common?" and the answer is clearly NO.

As for the clean backup etc process of 1, 2 & 3. I'm not sure. I had some issues with a corrupted message store, and I deleted the msg store file (after making copies j.i.c.) and allowed the msg store to rebuild, which it did. That appeared to get rid of all malfunctions but this one. At this point I did the zip backup and the registry save again.

And yes, the setup below is current. Before I go forwards with any further rebuild, I want to be sure that the msg store rebuit correctly, which will take a week or so of reliable operation. The inability to process the script may be a separate problem. I'll get back to you in a bit if I find (or don't find) a reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Ryzen 7 homebrew
    CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
    Motherboard