How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

edit: I tried again, really confident I didn't make a mistake, still didn't work.

DROH, welcome to the Eight Forums

Please read post #3 again DROH

I can guarantee 100% (x10000) it's absolutely working, you just missed some steps is all

Your questions do not really apply to this tutorial, also you cannot really compare how you reinstated WinMail onto Win7 to how you do it on Win10

There is a Lot of information for you to read and understand before continuing. All the information how to do it is there in post 1 & 2, it will work if you understand and follow the directions exactly. I would just be repeating myself if I said anything more here.
It's taken so many years to compile and constantly edit the information to make it easier to understand and implement, it is easy for experienced computer users, the rest is up to you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

I can guarantee 100% (x10000) it's absolutely working, you just missed some steps is all

Your questions do not really apply to this tutorial, also you cannot really compare how you reinstated WinMail onto Win7 to how you do it on Win10

There is a Lot of information for you to read and understand before continuing. All the information how to do it is there in post 1 & 2, it will work if you understand and follow the directions exactly. I would just be repeating myself if I said anything more here.
It's taken so many years to compile and constantly edit the information to make it easier to understand and implement, it is easy for experienced computer users, the rest is up to you

I truly appreciate your response and I believe you and understand your perspective. I'm just not sure where to go next or what to try. So many possibles like maybe I'm misunderstanding "x86" where it says don't touch it yet gives downloads for it. I think there was some silly misunderstanding like that I figured out to get Win 7 to work as well. I actually abandoned it and have tried desperately now to get something I can use to work my emails. Having to learn windows 10 in the midst of this sure isn't helping either. It would be the end of a MAJOR nightmare if I could get windows mail back. You reenergized me to try harder, thanks so much. One thing though, I don't think my windows 10 has that windows mail folder that has "local folders" etc anywhere on it? Is that normal?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP

It's taken so many years to compile and constantly edit the information to make it easier to understand and implement, it is easy for experienced computer users, the rest is up to you.
AHA!!!! GOT IT! Your current "guarantee" made me work harder to get it. The problem was that I misunderstood post 3 for later versions to do also. I ran the 2 reg downloads and copied and pasted the X64 download from post 3 to system32 and it works now. THANK YOU!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
The problem was that I misunderstood post 3 for later versions to do also. I ran the 2 reg downloads and copied and pasted the X64 download from post 3 to system32 and it works now. THANK YOU!

You mean that attachments on Post 2 right... <g>
Yes you need to also apply the information on post 2 for all Win10 versions past v1709
You see, if you never have before, you really need to take the time to read post # 1 & 2 thoroughly, and not be in a hurry either.
Once you get it, you can re-instate WinMail in just 5 minutes including a Restore of the MSF

Now that you've actually read 'some' of the directions, now going forward, please clearly understand once you let Windows Update do any upgrades, it will wipe out WinMail again, and you will have to do the whole procedure again, and if you did not make a backup of your MSF and don't have one to restore, you will lose all your messages and will have to start over from scratch each time.
Read all the spoiler information in Post 1 how to do all this. Also read post #5 (the second half of it) for more information how to control Windows Update if you want to ...(I do not offer support for that process and my mention is only informational as a fwiw)

Good Job DROH! ...you surprised me, I was ready to tell you to move on to another email client

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
You mean that attachments on Post 2 right... <g>
Yes you need to also apply the information on post 2 for all Win10 versions past v1709
You see, if you never have before, you really need to take the time to read post # 1 & 2 thoroughly, and not be in a hurry either.
Once you get it, you can re-instate WinMail in just 5 minutes including a Restore of the MSF

Now that you've actually read 'some' of the directions, now going forward, please clearly understand once you let Windows Update do any upgrades, it will wipe out WinMail again, and you will have to do the whole procedure again, and if you did not make a backup of your MSF and don't have one to restore, you will lose all your messages and will have to start over from scratch each time.
Read all the spoiler information in Post 1 how to do all this. Also read post #5 (the second half of it) for more information how to control Windows Update if you want to ...(I do not offer support for that process and my mention is only informational as a fwiw)

Good Job DROH! ...you surprised me, I was ready to tell you to move on to another email client
I could have the post numbers wrong, yes, Yes, I was not only in a hurry, I was frantic, My emails are critical. I kept seeing the later update under "1709+". but because windows 10 was new to me, I had little idea what version I had or where to find it but I actually was going to try those "later upgrade files" anyway before I caught "and later" then I knew that's what I missed.
BTW, and this may be good for some others to know, is that folder I mentioned not seeing in C: Users/ "user name"/app data/local/microsoft/windows mail is apparently "self created" only after a successful install, and or, setting up a mail account and personal settings. I didn't know that but I personally save a copy of the original and manipulate that folder often for security purposes.
On the warnings etc. no, I personally am good to go, I know all that stuff. Nothing can get me now :) Thank you!!!!

edit: okay, I take back that "nothing can get me now" statement, I've learned never to make such a challenge, lol :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
BTW, and this may be good for some others to know, is that folder I mentioned not seeing in C: Users/ "user name"/app data/local/microsoft/windows mail
..come on DROH! ..you're pulling my leg now, right? So do this right now, go to post #1 ..and look for and click on and open the spoiler: Backup & Restore Procedure 1, 2, 3 .. and read it for real this time.
..and when you come to the green Create Backup heading, look under it for:
C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
..also referred to as: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
..and read the whole procedure and understand it - it's already all there in complete, full, and excellent outlined detail!
Now look up in this message at my first quote with what you told me to tell others twice now... yet you haven't even read the complete tutorial yet to know it's all there already in the first place, in spades! I created that process myself for my own use back in the Vista/Win7 days so that I could transfer my MSF back-n-forth from one OS to the other, and it still works and since has expanded to all OS's now able to be swapped between Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10, Server, and now even Win11..

On the warnings etc. no, I personally am good to go, I know all that stuff. Nothing can get me now :) Thank you!!!!
...yeah I'm glad you edited and said you take it back, because trust me when I say and mention those warnings. Mark My Words about them! You Are going to have to deal with them next update, so get your Backup and Restore created now!
Just read all the previous posts above in the last few years with how it's all about the same thing ...they all wish they did it <g>

We've been doing this WinMail work for 14 years now, 13 of which have been openly on the forums.

If you want to use WinMail on Win10, then read every single spoiler on the tutorial Post 1, and through to post #5 even.

Congratulations so far with your success - but just know that was the easy part <g>
It all is easy though, just do your homework, read and understand everything ahead of time, create your Backup & Restore 1, 2, 3, and be ready at all times!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Greetings Endeavour, I trust that you are well.
We "conversed" about 18 months ago (post #611) re probs I was having with <Send Mail> protocol on Windows 8.1, which you satisfactorily resolved for me.

I've recently successfully installed WinMail on my new laptop running Windows 10 v.2004 Build 19041.388, but again having some probs with <Send Mail>.

Right click context menu option Send to <Mail Recipient> works perfectly on any file selected, ie WinMail opens with attachment in place.

However, clicking Send To command from the File menu within a program, say a Word document or a photo in FastStone image viewer, doesn't work and results in an error message (cf Fig 1), ie not recognising WinMail or any client. (This function is working in my Windows 8.1).

Fig 1-Win10 Error Msg.jpg

Fig 1

Not sure why the Microsoft Outlook header; although it's part of my Office installation, I have not activated or used it.

FWIW, I've attached the respective WinMail default associations screenshots from my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 computers (cf Fig 2 & 3).

Fig 2-Win8.1_Winmail Defaults.jpg

Fig 2 Windows 8.1

Fig 3-Win10_Winmail Defaults.jpg

Fig 2 Windows 10

I notice that "Send Mail" is not a choice in Windows 10.
It's a minor irritation but, any ideas?

Best regards
skippy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
<....>
However, clicking Send To command from the File menu within a program, say a Word document or a photo in FastStone image viewer, doesn't work and results in an error message (cf Fig 1), ie not recognizing WinMail or any client.
Hello skippy,

Make sure on Post #2 look just after where it says step 15, where is says in the spoiler = Screenshot Of How To Set WinMail Default Client, and if yours in comparison says just Mail, then be sure to toggle that icon, and choose Windows Mail, and reboot.

iow, it should look like this:
ShouldSayWinMail.jpg

What's needed for WinMail operation itself is automatically set by the tutorial process.
You can also check to change defaults for app, file type, or protocol by accessing these:
default by file type, app, or or protocol.jpg
I briefly looked through all of these settings to see anything of interest, but what was showing was correct.

I see your screenshot showing Outlook associated itself in a particular way when you installed Office, but that's not the issue here.

Also yes to your comment, I see that when I open FastStone image editor, and click File> eMail, and then click the Send Email button, it does give that notice when WinMail is set default ... I just created a screenshot of that:
Faststone....jpg
Not sure if that is a problem within FastStone though, or something else with what was Not built into Windows 10 (v1709+ anyway)
However the standard Send To Mail Recipient works fine with MAPI when it comes to WinMail and is what we restored, and that's the main thing.

fwiw, speaking of FastStone when Live Mail (WLM v14.0.8117.416) is installed and set default, interestingly that File> Send Email option in FastStone is working and will send to WLM, but if Office 2010 is installed it still will not send to either Outlook (or WinMail) if they are set default, it only will work with WLM on FastStone
Yes FastStone 'Will' also send to Word 2010, etc, but again it won't send to Outlook (or WinMail)
Interestingly Word itself will not sent to Outlook or WinMail when either are set default.

However this tutorial is not about WLM, Outlook, Office, or FastStone though - and only WinMail.
I had only saved those WLM version installers for testing at that time since it was always a consideration for me to use them, but personally decided on keep using WinMail throughout the whole time period as it suited my needs the best.

FWIW, when composing an email, whenever I want to send a picture or any attachment - I always do it via WinMail itself by clicking File> Attachment, and that works every time.
We can't get WinMail to work "within other programs" for every program out there without considerable time investment, so at this point in time some things are going to slide..

It's a minor irritation
Yep, and may not be worth the time effort for such a small benefit, to fix it.
Standard Send To Mail Recipient for WinMail works and will just have to settle for that, or again just using the standard attachments button within WinMail itself.

<edited>
I tried for a quite a few hours to resolve this but did not fully succeed yet, and will have to put this request aside.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Yes endeavor, thanks for your "endeavors", but do not spend any more time on it.
I would suggest that Mr Gates' cohorts have petulantly disabled support for MAPI in Windows 10.

You can see from Figs 2 and 3 in my previous post that, whilst MailTo protocol default association can be set in both Win8 and Win10, the MAPI Send Mail default association is not listed for Win10 and so cannot be set for WinMail or any other mail client. (eg Check the 'set defaults by app' listing for Mail in Win10: same thing, MAPI is also not available).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
Yes I understand your sentiment, and was aware of the secondary send mail command within other programs not fully reinstated after the 6/2017 regression, as was generally alluded to in the post 1 spoiler notes: Circumvented Info 6/2017

To be accurate though initially yes we did maneuver and reverse it to fully work on Win10 just as Win7/Win8, and so all your current concerns work fine with this tutorial on any Win10 version on or previous to v1703 b16193.
This morning I just booted my tower over to Win10 v1607 as an example, and took a few screenshots to show:
Win10 x64 v1607
BeforeWin10v1703b16193.jpg

..and as well here FastStone does work fine and does Send Email within directly to WinMail, etc
FastStoneSendMailisWorking.jpg

However as I've noted in the past I did software log and track the entire File/Registry transition that took place as v1703 b16193 was upgraded, and can go back and look at and interact with the enormous file/registry changes that were done there, when MS removed the many features deprecating them starting at Windows 10 v1703 b16199, and onward. I had spent a month tracing out that snapshot and reversing and exporting everything I could to put WinMail back together and work. Anyway so there were some MAPI functions that did not fully return, but the most important ones did and they fully work fine, like the right click on whatever file: Send To Mail Recipient; but not necessarily from within a secondary non WM program which is quite frankly a minor nit comparatively. I'm not going to spend more days just to reverse/reinstate that minor nit; although if it was easy I would consider it yes which I've spent a few hours already being curious about it. It is very complex. However there is no gain to worry about such a small nit anymore to fight the inevitable in the years to come, which Windows 11 may be the last investment as far as I'm concerned.

If you want that full feature set then maybe you could install back to Win10 v1703 build16199 (preferably v1607 latest build) ..and lock it there.
Anyway let's be happy with what we already have when it comes to WinMail.

<edit>
skippy,
For Win10 1709+
I've done some more work with it, and I can now get your FastStone file editor, and Word, so that each respective applications Send Mail button within itself, will now work and send to WinMail, only.
However, No, it still does not add that Send Mail listing back into the GUI @: Set defaults by app> Windows Mail> Manage> File type and protocol associations; but WinMail still works around it.

It will simply involve you merging an extra WinMail related reg file, and placing a few extra WinMail related files.
If you answer my PM and respond to get in contact with me, I'll put together and give you the files needed.
I am not going to post it here or add it to the tutorial, since you may be the only one in the world right now that I know of that would prefer this function, and I certainly don't want to add complexity to an already complex tutorial.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello endeavour, much appreciated.
Yes, I would like you to send me those files.
I've responded here as advised in the PM, not sure if that's the correct procedure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
You're welcome skippy,
Please not to reply here, but again reply to your PM I sent you; we can continue this conversation there in PM please.

When I have them finalized, I can attach my files there in that PM

Edit: ..a few days later

I've now sent the extra x64 files to skippy via PM, to fix the issue spoken of in the previous posts, for that specific problem only, where these features were removed (depreciated) by MS..
This is Only for Win10 x64 OS's on or beyond v1709+ ..including Win11
I've restored the necessary files/registry entries needed. All previous versions of Win10x64 works fine already
(Win10 x86 version irregardless of version were not affected with this specific problem spoken about in the last few posts)
It gives these x64 users using WinMail, being able to have some other programs within themselves, when WinMail is set Default, to be able to within that program, use the onboard Send eMail function - to WinMail
Here are the tested working results for FastStone, and Word 2010, and it also fixes MailWasher as well, and others I'm sure
Note: WinMail must fully be set as the Default eMail client, not Outlook or anything else!
Note: This fix works in tandem with All files given on the tutorial; iow, you must have used and placed All files given in the tutorial first.

Tested on any version of Win10 x64, on or beyond v1709+
FastStone file viewer Send Email is working now
Win10TestFastStone.jpg

Tested on Word 2010 with WinMail is working now
Win10TestWord.jpg

Tested on Windows 11 x64
FastStone file viewer Send Email to WinMail, is working.
Win11_FastStoneSendWinMail.jpg

Using Word 2010 the Send Mail is working again now sending to WinMail (Windows 11 x64)
Win11SaveSendAttchment,orPDF=WinMail_1.jpg

Win11SaveSendAttchment,orPDF=WinMail_2.jpg

There won't be many people needing this extra convenience, but if you do, post a request here and I'll supply the fix of files via PM attachment only. As I've said previously I'm not going to post attachments here or add it to the tutorial, since I certainly don't want to add complexity to an already complex tutorial, and this project is ending.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I am using WinMail on Windows 10 20H2 without any problems.
Now Windows recommends update to 21H1, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried that WinMail won't work properly after update.
Is it OK to update to 21H1?
Should I backup/restore and follow all the procedures again after update or can I use winmail immediately after the update without any work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I am using WinMail on Windows 10 20H2 without any problems.
Now Windows recommends update to 21H1, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried that WinMail won't work properly after update.
Is it OK to update to 21H1?
Please read All the instructions because all your questions are already answered throughout the instructions, and you are also reminded about it on the very first Step # 1 on Post 1.

So please read Post 3, and then read Post 1 and all its spoilers, and read Post 2

Should I backup/restore and follow all the procedures again after update
or
can I use winmail immediately after the update without any work?
WU will break WinMail Every Time you do a major Windows Update, and as the instructions say if you already had WinMail working for a while and you want to save all your settings, emails, etc, to bring forward again, then Yes you must first create a "Backup" of the Backup & Restore Procedure 1, 2, 3 in order to put it all back together again later. However note: ..even if you did not care about your previous emails, settings, etc, but if you had a previous setup on it, the update will still corrupt the accounts and still break it so that it will not Send/Receive correctly as pointed out in the notes there - and so you might as well create a Backup 1, 2, 3 anyway; otherwise, you will have to perform a Last Resort repair to fix it starting from default scratch, as also mentioned in notes there.

Anyway once you have the full Backup 1, 2, 3 created first, then you let Windows Update your OS version ..which of course will destroy your current WinMail setup, but no problem because now After you update your OS, and then you have run through and do all the Post 1 & Post 2 instructions again including re-applying all the pertinent attachments for your OS, and then now you perform the "Restore" of the 1, 2, 3 procedure with your backup files, which puts WinMail all back together again perfectly.

can I use winmail immediately after the update without any work?
No, WinMail will be corrupted. You must do the work, or you will lose it all.

Also going forward remember, as the instructions say on how to protect WinMail from Windows Update when you are not ready, please read Post #5 on how to control Windows Update to, only run, when You want it to, etc...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
My question is tangential to the main discussion here. Not challenging anyone's taste or preference, yet I wonder: Why is it a big deal? I mean, why not use Outlook.com webmail? It seems secure enough. We began using Hotmail in 1999, and it has remained reliable through its various iterations/renaming. In fact, I still have several emails from back then stored in folders I created when it was still Hotmail. So, why not just use the web-based version?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    Memory
    4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX-1050Ti
My question is tangential to the main discussion here. Not challenging anyone's taste or preference, yet I wonder: Why is it a big deal? I mean, why not use Outlook.com webmail? It seems secure enough. We began using Hotmail in 1999, and it has remained reliable through its various iterations/renaming. In fact, I still have several emails from back then stored in folders I created when it was still Hotmail. So, why not just use the web-based version?
Like you say, it is a personal preference. I liked everything I used about Windows Mail and wish Microsoft had not "updated" the email program making endeavor's excellent tutorial necessary. Also, I feel more safe having my email data on my own machine instead of "in the cloud." Just an FYI, I again used the tutorial a few days ago to put Windows Mail back on my machine and it worked flawlessly (version 21H2 build 19044.1348). So thanks endeavor, for all the work you've put into this!
John

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung
    CPU
    Intel i3
    Memory
    8 GB
Hello, and thank you starchase!

I did not answer that previous post because it's really OT to what this thread is all about.
I like to keep this tutorial On Topic please.
Actually I was going to ask him to delete that post, as it gets into semantics about WinMail usage, and that's not what this thread is all about.

Please this thread is only for WinMail reinstatement questions.

Only long time users of WinMail will understand about why they like to use it.
WinMail is not meant to be better than any online email services, and has its own niche.
Sure I also have a separate Yahoo, Gmail, and Proton online account, and use each one for my own purpose.
However having my own ..com and also having my own WinMail email client run through that server is exactly what I want to do (I don't choose to connect WM to those other online services to get their email either, I could but choose not to)
Also the News Groups abilities of WinMail for my tech groups is exactly what I want to use WinMail for them.
WinMail serves me very well for what I use it for every single day! ymmv, and that's fine!

Thanks again starchase for your support of WinMail, it's appreciated.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Immediate crash&quit when trying to go into offline mode if there is no network connection available on Windows 11. Workaround is a nework-connection without internet-connection (as any kind of WLAN-Router that is not connected to the internet).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Immediate crash&quit when trying to go into offline mode if there is no network connection available on Windows 11. Workaround is a nework-connection without internet-connection (as any kind of WLAN-Router that is not connected to the internet).
Yes mine also does 'Immediate crash&quit when trying to go into offline mode' I simply leave it in on-line mode, it tells me it is unable to connect to the server, I press OK and then carry on.
I'll just point out, I only use Windows Mail as a newsreader.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows version 10
Back