How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

I'm back. This problem was nagging at me and I had to fix it. Besides that bird program just isn't the same. I went through the steps again and at first glance everything was fine but when I restored my Mail folder from backup, I couldn't send email. This required me examining the files in the folder and understanding what a messagestore file is. In the end, I replaced the message store file and now I'm back in business. As I said, this always takes up some of my time, but until there's a better alternative I'll have to keep dealing with these updates.
Thanks again. As long as you assure me that WinMail works with the latest version of Windows, then I'll keep applying the fixes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
This required me examining the files in the folder and understanding what a messagestore file is.
Actually technically speaking it's not a file - the MSF (Message Store Folder) in essence contains a Lot of various folders and data files. You don't even have to know all the technical details of everything inside the MSF, AMMI. Your mission as it says to do in the Post #1 spoiler Backup/Restore Procedures, is to carry out ''Create Backup'' steps 1, 2, 3, which you create this anytime After WM is fully setup, etc, but absolutely do it before you do a Windows Update. Now after the update and you reinstate WinMail, you Will then need to restore what you just created, so there where it says "To Restore" ..do steps 1, 2, and 3, which includes Deleting the MSF and Replace it with it's Backup.

Anything else I say I will just be repeating myself (I already just did) ..but all of this is already typed up for you there.
Please everyone who uses WinMail needs to read it, and create for themselves a 1, 2, 3, Backup, right now.

I couldn't send email.
Simply, the resolve to that will automatically take care of itself from when you "correctly" do the Restore steps 1, 2, 3, ..properly..

I couldn't send email.
Furthermore though if you wanted to read more about it, then in the very first Spoiler on Post #1 called: "Important Time Line Notes" and scroll down to Note: 7/2019 and read it all incl spoiler buttons - it's all in there.
Yes sure it's good to understand every single technicality, but even if you didn't completely, as long as anytime when you reinstate WinMail you did Steps 1 - 15 (as appropriate) ...this is what puts the WinMail "Software" back together working.
..and then you already having done previously the ''Create Backup'' steps 1, 2, 3 and it's ready to go
..and so now "To Restore" do steps 1, 2, and 3 ..and that is what puts All Your Saved WinMail Data back to the way it was.

fwiw in the Create BackUp Step 1, The MSF contains All Mail/News emails with All your individual Folder Structure layouts created, All Accounts info, and more.. In Step 2, The Registry backup, it contains All Settings for the WinMail GUI Layout ..all Tools> Options Settings, Columns, Rules, etc.. Step 3 ...but you can read about all of this in Post 1 please.

It took me 5 minutes to type this, but honestly once you have all your files ready ahead of time ready to go, you can reinstate WinMail and do All the steps in less time than than it took me to type this message, and if done properly ..it'll always be fully working!

Edit:
Please be especially attentive to follow everything it says how to do in the Backup/Restore Procedures. I can't stress this enough as it's all specifically and carefully worded, and to be followed explicitly for your successful outcome - all the details matter!

Edit:
Also to say I've since updated Post 5 with information about controlling Windows Update - with options to run it Only when You want it to, in order to control when your WM gets broken, etc. Also I've edited Post 1 wording in a few places giving more clarity..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
I need to install WInMail-Vista for both Win8.1 and Win10 in German, French, Italian language in both x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit). I have running Windows Vista here and install DVDs in both x86 and x64. Btw.: I so far used the installed files from an existing installation with some special treatment for msidcrl30.dll and msoe.dll (as mentioned 2 pages above) – and it works. But when following your instructions it seems to be inconsistent and should be impossible. So what's your official advice for a non-english installation? What else is all needed?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Kukattooo,

There is only one new language request at a time for each member that I will do, and you are now asking for 6 different iterations, No.
I don't think you realize (or care) what you are asking of me in time to do these projects.
You also said in previous posts you're not using All the files from the tutorial, but elsewhere, and as per post 4 mentioning the compatibility reasons why, therefore I cannot help you with languages, No.
Also as you notice in my reply to you in Post # 662 & 664 ..as it was then and seems even now, you still don't want to properly read/follow what's already given, and instead insist on doing it your own way. All your posts show reluctance to follow the tutorial procedures which contains all the answers to all questions; heck you did not even follow my language request procedure from post # 4 properly either. I'm not going to repeat them anymore.
As I have previously told you already in post 662, I will not respond to those who do not follow or read the directions, especially not even use All the files attached in the given tutorial. I will not respond to any questions for other methods except the ones posted in this tutorial.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
OK, so I have to work with that what I have here ... as mentioned it'll be the same as last time (cf. Post # 663) ... that was working, even when not exactly what you tell here. And as long as it is working ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows Mail message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. (0x80040154, 14007)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    custom
    CPU
    i7 8700
    Motherboard
    msi pro series
    Memory
    16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    gtx1050
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    avast
Hello stef and Welcome to the EightForums

Yes that can happen if you don't reinstate WinMail correctly, just be sure you are using the right x86 or x64 files (programs folder & msidcrl30.dll) for your OS bit - which btw you don't even specify what yours is! Also if x64 make sure you are working with the correct programs folder as noted in tutorial.

What OS are you using anyway, I see your profile says and I quote "windows 1.0"

Come on stef... for sure, before posting please read post #3 and follow it, thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Windows 11 ...just out of curiosity and fun - last weekend I was curious if this tutorials WinMail would still work on the leaked Dev version of Windows 11, and so I installed and tested it..

..Yes, it does work just the same as always:

click spoiler to see screenshot:
click image for full size
Win11-Dev.jpg

Edit: ..a week later:
I normally don't test Preview or Beta versions, but for fun again I also fresh installed and tested WinMail on the first released Win11 Beta:
click image for full size
Win11-21H2.jpg

All the WinMail instructions to reinstate Windows 11, are just the same as the tutorial now for the newer versions Windows 10, as shown in posts 1 & 2

I will update the WinMail Tutorial 'wording' to include Windows 11 when there is a proper official Retail or RTM release of it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
My WinMail is working perfectly on Windows 10. I also use MailWasher because it works very well for me blocking spam. On the MailWasher toolbar there's an area to click to open WinMail from inside the program. It doesn't work though, and I get an error message. It's not really a big deal, but I'm wondering if there might be a solution. Thanks endeavor

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 145

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Hello nitram, I see you have been a member since 2016 and so welcome again..

TBH I've never used MailWasher or even know if it's 100% reputable ..so I'll take your word for it that you checked all that out.

I see the problem right away though, which is gleaned from your error message which is:

"An error has occurred while launching the mail program at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe"

A clue is, for those that already know on post #1 of the Tutorial where I wrote at the end of Step #4, what it says in Red - read that again please. I wrote that because quite a few x64 users would invariably make the mistake of swapping out that wrong:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Mail folder" ..and/or putting a shortcut to that wrong WinMail.exe in that wrong folder to run WinMail, and it would not work and give an error, because when in fact WinMail can only be started from folder address:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe"

I'll have a look as to what they did later

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Nitram,

After some 'just for fun' test installing it, I can now see for myself, it seems MailWasher has encoded there call link address to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Mail" folder for the WinMail.exe in that button they show, corresponding to their error prompt shown in my screenshot below.

I also see there is an easy way around the issue, it's very simple to do actually.

Here are 4 screenshots inside the spoiler below to show you what to do.
For screenshot #3 just be sure when you click the Browse button, that you toggle it to:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" (..and not the (x86) folder one)

1. Yes I do see myself now that Win10 x64 users, on, and beyond Win10 v1709, do indeed have the error you showed, when they use MailWasher with this WinMail tutorial, and the MailWasher default Windows Mail setting is as I show here:
MW1.jpg

MW3.jpg

This does not mean I support the MailWasher application in any way though.. actually, I don't think I like it :(

...but I do support you using WinMail, and so wanted to help :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Endeavor - Thank you so much for finding the solution to my problem. I followed your screenshots, and the program is now working correctly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Thank you very much for staying here. I am waiting to be able to send you a 'PM' with the proof of my successful installation and use of your Windows Mail application and ask you generously the install kit in Spanish language.
I am using Windows 10 Pro x64 v. 21H1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 pro v. 21H1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Tecra
    CPU
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors - Haswell - i7-4600M
    Motherboard
    own
    Memory
    8,00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Sound Card
    Realtek High definition audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    own
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    SSD 1TB Samsung evo
Welcome to your first post on the EightForums imekami, and yes I see you had joined in 2017

Please send a PM with all the information, and screenshots, as outlined in Post #4

Thank you

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi everybody
since weeks ago i have problems with Winmail!

1)
The Folder where ar the deleted emails cannot be emptied!

2)
I have also set Winmail in such a way that after 10 times Winmail is started, the database should be compressed, that no longer works either

Windows 10 V20H2 Build 19042.1083
Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16386 (vista-rtm.061101_2205)
Language German

Everybody has a soluton or idea?
thanks
sasso

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
Everybody has a solution or idea?
thanks
sasso

Hello sasso,

I can see from your WinMail version you're not using the files given in this tutorial, so I have no idea what you're using or have done to set WM up to know its overall ability, or know if you have, importantly, fully read and understood this entire tutorial here. I am here to help those that use this tutorial and its attached files, and not any other methods.
Having said that though of course I always want to be of help to people, so a question for you is if you have had Windows Mail fully working on Windows 10 before? ..and if yes for how long? ..iow, was your WinMail working for a long time and this problem is something that happened one day on its own, or did it happen right after a Windows Update?

At any rate it's clear that you have database corruption in the MSF (Message Store Folder) ..and yes it can surly be fixed if you do the 'Restore' 1, 2, 3 method of the Backup and Restore 1, 2, 3 Procedure as outlined in the tutorial on page #1 under its spoiler button - However for it to work you needed to have created a 'Backup' 1, 2, 3 procedure in the first place though to do this, and if you did???? ...then Yes you will 100% succeed in fixing it.
Otherwise if you did not previously create that 1, 2, 3 backup, then another method to possibly fix it (only 10% possibility) is to try the WMUtil program attached at the bottom of the errata Bug List post, which I also link at the top of this tutorial on page 1 in the disclaimer. On the Bug List post you will see the WMUtil (wmutil151.zip) attached on the bottom of that page. (In that write-up for the Bug List I did talk a little bit about that WMUtil program (Windows Mail Utilities) created by Steve Cochran)
If that program does not fix it, then one of the few other things you can do is to delete the MSF, and start again from WinMail scratch but lose all previous data - the directions how to do that (and even more opportunities) is all in the Backup & Restore 1, 2, 3 procedures, and scroll down near the 'Last Resort' section of that spoiler. All the information is there, it's up to you to follow them.

btw, if the corruption was caused by a Windows 10 Windows Update, no it cannot be recovered by Windows Mail Utilities and you will have to start from WinMail scratch, or one of the other Last Resort methods listed there. This is why I have Pleaded with people in this tutorial over and over again, saying that you always must do a Backup 1, 2, 3 in the first place, to be able to do a Restore 1, 2, 3 for an always 100% success. There is no other way to survive using WinMail on Windows 10 going forward if you do not!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
G'Day, Endeavour,

I am glad you are safe and well.
As explained, I have been a long-term proponent of your post and it has served me well constantly for which I again, thank you.
I am, however, wondering if you can see if you can help me with a recent problem I have had.

Unfortunately, my Laptop Win10 System has been trashed by a Feature update from Microsoft failing to install and the subsequent 'returning your computer to the former settings' which completely screwed up several programs, shortcuts, and licenses to the point that I decided to start with a completely clean install of the latest version to which I would add all of my programs again. One of the programs it killed, of course, was the Backup Software so couldn't restore that recent backup either, as well as wiping all restore points so that could not even be tried.

I thought I had dealt with WU beforehand but somehow it got through when I was traveling away for work and not as diligent as normal.
I do know now how to control WU completely for next time using Post#5, thanks.

So after Windows was complete with all the latest updates I installed WinMail again as per the current tutorial and it opened perfectly with the same ol' welcome page so I knew all was good to that point.
I did my usual Restore of the reg files and folder from the previous system which normally always works, thanks to you, then added my account details into WinMail.

Sadly this time as WinMail checks for mail it shows that there is mail to download so seems to connect OK but instantly goes into fault 0x800C013E after that.
To troubleshoot I have re-entered all account data several times, checked the server settings, deleted all accounts re-entering again, and re-merged the Registry files with a reboot between each check to no avail.

I have, since sending this initially, re-read the tutorial again carefully and followed the re-install and restore process thoroughly but the problem still exists each time I have finished.

One other thing I did however is change the hard drive to start again so I had a clean install drive as a fallback after cloning when complete and moving on.
Is it possible that there would be info in the reg file that is linked to the other drive that it was installed on when I last saved that could be causing the problems?

That's about all the info I think I can add at the moment.
Windows 10 Version 21H1 x64 by the way.
Do you have any tips that are not mentioned in the tutorial that I could try or any idea of what to look for?
Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
Pcdgt

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
Hello pcdgt, and thank you.

I am, however, wondering if you can see if you can help me with a recent problem I have had.
Yes sure absolutely!

One of the programs it killed, of course, was the Backup Software so couldn't restore that recent backup either, as well as wiping all restore points so that could not even be tried.
..fwiw, that is the unfortunate limitation of using Windows backup with its Restore Points as specifically mentioned in the tutorial; it's very limited. A real software backup program will backup the entire C:\ partition image to another drive saving it as a partition image file, and in that way using the usb boot stick from your imaging program, no matter what, you can simply restore that same entire C:\ boot partition you previously backed up, to the same HD, or even a new HD, and then boot it up and have your entire OS partition be a working replica of the exact same time point as it was when you made the backup image. Pretty much 100% foolproof.

I thought I had dealt with WU beforehand but somehow it got through when I was traveling away for work and not as diligent as normal.

I do know now how to control WU completely for next time using Post#5, thanks.
:thumbsup:

Some other context I will add is that my backup of WinMail and Registry entries as per 1,2,3. are completely safe on another drive.
Good, and that's the way it should be. However! ..please, just make sure when you make the backup that everything was fully working perfectly at the time of the backup first.. ..It's a must that your source Must Be fully setup and proven working Before you create a backup.

Annoyingly though I was in too much of a hurry and forgot to enter all the account data into Mail initially before I got too keen and did my usual Restore of the reg files and folder from the previous system which normally always works
This was critical, because everything needs to be done in order and properly the first time, you cannot omit things or your backup is incomplete and thus defeated.
Also don't forget (as the tutorial instructs) you only have to save account passwords to a text file, for the reasons stated there.

I did my usual Restore of the reg files and folder from the previous system which normally always works, thanks to you, then added my account details into WinMail
I bolded that particular point above, something is wrong here, because except for the passwords (as explained in the tutorial) there are no account details to be entered as that is all taken care of automatically within the backup of the MSF itself which contains all of that already. With the successful "Delete" of the new MSF and a copy/paste of your ...."working'!... Backup MSF it will work - I say it that way because, again, as the tutorial states, you cannot copy/paste the MSF over itself or it will mix erroneous account details and corrupt. Not saying you did, but if you did everything correct you Would Not have that error!

Sadly this time as WinMail checks for mail it shows that there is mail to download so seems to connect OK but instantly goes into fault 0x800C013E after that.
That same error is fully explained in the tutorial, read post #1 and open its Time Line spoiler notes and go to 7/2019, and in there you will see another spoiler that actually lists and talks about error 0x800C013E. I jam packed that section with info about this! It can not be fixed/sorted after the fact either unless you have a valid backup, otherwise one must start from scratch (except if you have the step 2 reg backup and at least that takes care of the GUI setup, but nothing to do with Account data except MSF default location.

To troubleshoot I have re-entered all account data several times, checked the server settings, deleted all accounts re-entering again, and re-merged the Registry files with a reboot between each check to no avail.
If you performed the Backup 1, 2, 3 exactly as written, and did a Restore 1, 2, 3 of it - you will not have to do all this, it will just work.
All Account Data (except passwords) are automatically included in the MSF itself (full explanation in tutorial)
Of course, again, your source Must Be fully setup and proven working Before you create a backup, and a working backup will restore as working. Creating a backup of a non-working corrupt source will not work. As the tutorial says also, Always zip that MSF backup too for internal file protection against inadvertent corruption if it's not zipped.

One other thing I did however is change the hard drive to start again so I had a clean install drive as a fallback after cloning when complete and moving on.
I have to say it does not sound like you made a clean install of WinMail if your backup was corrupted from overwriting instead of removing the MSF first, or restoring a incomplete or faulty 1, 2, 3 backup. (I'm not saying you did, but that error shows something was not done correctly.

Is it possible that there would be info in the reg file that is linked to the other drive that it was installed on when I last saved that could be causing the problems?
To your question specifically about the reg file, the only thing I can think of besides what I've already said, is about the default location for your MSF on your original drive as I talk about in the tutorial. The ONLY thing contained in the export of that full reg file that would matter to this, is the MSF location. You cannot have set a ''different'' MSF location on the original drive where you saved the step #2 backup reg file, and then restore #2 reg on a new installation that has the original default location on the new drive - it won't mesh.

As I said in the tutorial, it needs to always be default. fwiw, the Majority of people never change this setting anyway:
(click image for full size)

MSF-DefaultLocation.jpg
..and to your question, it corresponds to just one single registry entry (along with a thousand others taken) in the Backup of step 2 reg as:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail
It's "Store Root" entry should always be
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\
(The screenshot shows Win7 but of course your own computer name will be inserted there instead)
Anyway, this is set Before you create the backup, so that when you do a restore of Backup/Restore 1,2,3 ...it's always pointing to the correct location of itself on your new setup (since the system will automatically set it default) So, you need the before, and after, to be set default, or the new install won't mesh and automatically create corruption in the MSF as it rewrites itself anew to counter.
Again though most people never change this and don't even need to think about it - I only mention this in case You did change this, and if you did then in that case it matters. If you did not, then no worries and disregard; I was just giving one possible answer to your specific question quoted.

In closing this post looks like a lot of information, well it is but it's all really so simple in the first place. If the tutorial understanding and directions are followed to the letter, you will always have success. You simply missed a step or two out of place, and the results are this error.
If you do not have a true and accurate 1, 2, 3 backup to draw from, and your MSF is corrupted? Then as I said to the last poster above how to start fresh to remove MSF corruption, and that info how to do that is contained in the Backup & Restore 1, 2, 3 ..scroll down where the paragraph heading called Last Resort.

You have done really well pcdgt, you seem to have a good grasp of things and you explain yourself very well.
I have said though in this tutorial over and over again, that folks always must do a full accurate Backup 1, 2, 3 in the first place, to be able to do a Restore 1, 2, 3 for an always 100% success.
To Everyone: ..at this point, there is no other way to survive using WinMail on Windows 10 going forward if you do not!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I used windows mail for years on windows 7 but I cannot get it to work with my new windows 10 home PC X64 so far (using these instructions). On 7 it also relied on a windows mail folder in users>XXXX>local>microsoft and I think IE had to be installed too. Could my problem be with one of those?
Or could someone tell me the most common mistakes new users of this make? Thank You.
edit: I tried again, really confident I didn't make a mistake, still didn't work.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
Back