How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Hello Kukattooo, and welcome to the EightForums.
:) :D
You can't be serious asking that question ?
It's right there attached to post 1 !
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhrrrrrggggghhhhh ... I was totally unaware that there are attachements ... :D ... I had all the other stuff from my own vista installations and was googling for that update 5-2018 elsewhere ...:(

Btw: I'd rather expected some direct "msoe.dll-Update" as name ... that would have made clearer what is meant to be updated ...
What is the source of it? Where was that update included? Or did anyone (outside MS) adapt it manually?
That is impossible if you properly use regular file explorer (recommended) for copy/paste.
I am using TeraCopy for normal copying and moving (it has built in verify/compare) - and the result was as said ... with TC copying goes to the correct target folder.

Btw: copying/moving something into System32 that lands then in SysWOW64 instead is described on many places on the web as a not very exotic problem and being on purpose by MS
As others have found out, copying downloaded files from the tutorial with a 32-bit file manager Total Commander is a bad idea; you need to use the 64 bit version.
As I installed it onto a x64-W8 directly on that W8 there is anyway TCx64 installed. And as my source was an existing Vista x64 installation I copied the two "msidcrl30.dll" first to my install-prepare folder with x64 inside System32 (650kb) and x86 inside SysWOW64 (475kb) and then to the appropriate Windows8 folders. (btw: source Vista and target W8 are german language versions)
Anyway, I only recommend using the built in file explorer to copy/paste files here for this tutorial.
Standard MS file explorer lacks direct verify/compare options; that's why to use TeraCopy as default
Then you did not properly follow instructions, because it's all fully there (with screenshots even) and fully working correctly.
only updated msoe.dll was missing ("update 5-2018") ... now it's done and working, but splash screen does only appear for a very short moment even with nosplash reg setting disabled.

Thanks ... seems to work now ... :) :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
You're welcome!

You're saying you did not know there were attachments.. LoL
Then you did not read the instructions much at all did you <g>
Thank you for being honest about it though! ..that's a good quality indeed.

As far as TC, it's a known problem, and discovered by this person who first noticed its problem starting Here

..and the same person Finally realized the problem Here ..after a LOT of in-between posts of wasted time, read them if you want.
It's not a MS problem at all, it's a TC and user problem <g>
I only recommend using the built-in file explorer copy/paste. Accurate without any middle man.

Anyway the msoe.dll is the exact same MS built one but required an edit in order to re-connect the interface linking which affected that advanced tab window to display its contents. Also realize that the modified msoe.dll will still show the same version as the original, even though it has these changes. A hash check will show that, not a TC checking version match.

You say you did not use the file attachments in this tutorial, of which they are there for reasons you have not even realized yet; especially do not even try to install Windows 10 without them. Going forward I will not respond to those who do not follow or even read the directions, let alone even use the files attached in the given tutorial.

I am glad you got WinMail working! Nice job

..please have a great day!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
You're welcome!
:) :D
You're saying you did not know there were attachments.. LoL
I did not expect attachements ... :) ... I am used to that needed files are linked in the text itself as external files to download form some other website ... so I just did not pay attention that there might be direct attachements ...
Then you did not read the instructions much at all did you <g>
lol :D ... as said - I did, but did not realize that there are direct attachements ... but are they really explicitely mentioned to be directly attached?
Thank you for being honest about it though! ..that's a good quality indeed.
... making errors is only one thing - recognizing, correcting and then avoiding them is as important :)
As far as TC, it's a known problem, and discovered by this person who first noticed its problem starting Here
Oh darn ... TC is not only Total Commander but also TeraCopy ... sorry for confusion ...
..and the same person Finally realized the problem Here ..after a LOT of in-between posts of wasted time, read them if you want.
It's not a MS problem at all, it's a TC and user problem <g>
That must be a different problem that did not occur here ...
I only recommend using the built-in file explorer copy/paste. Accurate without any middle man.
As said: I first checked on the existing Vista x64 installation where msidcrl30.dll is residing - and it was in System32 and SySWOW64 - but these two visibly have different size. I then copied the appropriate version to the same place ... and when copying from System32 there was no such file in the target directory after copying. But when trying to copy again, I was asked whether to overwrite, cancel or skip - and it turned out that the file was not copied to System32, but to SysWOW64 ... Googling about that problem (of copying into SysWOW64 instead of into System32) shows that it is is well known and MS does this on purpose (to not harm the system). The solution was copying it with Total Commander; then the target directory was correct and the file from System32 was copied into System32 and the file from SysWOW64 to SysWOW64 ...
Anyway the msoe.dll is the exact same MS built one but required an edit in order to re-connect the interface linking which affected that advanced tab window to display its contents.
What's the done edit inside msoe.dll (in short words)?
Also realize that the modified msoe.dll will still show the same version as the original, even though it has these changes. A hash check will show that, not a TC checking version match.
WinDiff tells "difference in blanks only" ...
You say you did not use the file attachments in this tutorial, of which they are there for reasons you have not even realized yet; especially do not even try to install Windows 10 without them.
As done several years ago on a different Windows 8 installation the source files here were an original Windows Mail installation directly copied from an existing Vista installation - as described in several online instructions at those times ... and it did work so far at that time ... and now I did the same: my source files are directly from an existing Vista installation. The only missing thing was the modified msoe.dll ...

Another thing is that I need it also (but not only) in german language ... the attachments are only in english language ...

What is the difference between the files in the attachments compared to the original Vista installations (with/without all Vista updates)?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
... but are they really explicitely mentioned to be directly attached?
Yes of course it is and it always was, see #6 on post 1, but if you even read the tutorial in the first place you would of known that; but again still you resist and need to mention it. As I've said 1000 times, read post 3, do and understand what it says, and use what is given in post 1 & 2, before even posting here.

Also fwiw, semantics, but msidcrl30.dll is not present in a fresh install of Win8 or Win10. Also no where in this tutorial do I mention to copy it to SysWOW64 either. See instruction #8 and use the files attached to the tutorial.
I've never encountered a problem copy/pasting files either. Sometimes yes on files already present in System32, you have to use the right click Take Ownership (from post 1 step #3) on any single file present before you can replace it; this is moreso true for particular Win10 tutorial work though. Don't get confused by the generic windows gui prompts (in all cases I always have WD and UAC disabled while working on WM, for pure convienece not to have unecessary redundant prompts)

All information how to install WinMail on Win8 and also Win10, and files needed, are contained on post 1, 2, with more than plenty of mi-nute detail, which right from the beginning I could tell you did not even bother to read, and instead posted anyway skipping all of that, seemingly expecting me to cater just to you. I am not here for that.
Please read the tutorial for all your questions and answers. This is more intended to be a Self-Help tutorial made for Advanced users who use the files given, and follow the directions of the tutorial - if you do that, then I can help you. I am 100% a volunteer here specifically for exclusive WinMail users on these four forums, respect that! ..and my time.

Yes at one time many years ago I did post you could use use your own Vista or Win7 (winmail processed) programs folder depending, and just for that one folder basically you still can (with caveats depending on OS and/or use)
Anyway 99% of the people who come here anymore do not have access to their original Vista/Win7 files anyway, or any. So for everyone's pure convenience, I offered to give my own. The programs folder given is mine and exactly what I use every day, and is a special combination of original Vista/Win7 MS WU updated renditions all verifiable per hash checks with MS. If you think there is something nefarious here then you would be mistaken; you don't know me.
fwiw, most all other WinMail methods posted elsewhere over the years, come from these original forums discovery one way or the other anyway, so it's best to use source; besides it gets tested and updated continuously with the very latest information.

btw, on post 1 for instance, if you Kukattooo don't use the rest of the attachment versions, especially the WinMail reg, then there will be issues.. Don't ask me for other language files since all files given here work in tandem with each other, especially for Win7 Ultimate language transfers (Read post 4) ..and require each other for its proper operation; however seems you insist on using your own files and so I can't help you with language either until you use the correct attachments.

Use what is given in the WinMail tutorial on this EightForums, or the SevenForums tutorial, each for their own respective OS.
I do not and will not support any other methods, or anyone who does not follow or read the instructions or put in the effort, or use the attached files given, and follow the directions of the tutorial - if you do all of that first it will work correctly, and then if you have any questions, then I can and will be glad to help you. Thank You.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Just a note to say THANK YOU to all working on this VISTA WinMail on Windows 10 project. I have successfully updated my spouse's Lenovo PC to Windows 10 Pro x64 Feature 2009 (20H2) from Feature 1909 and have re-installed WinMail SUCCESSFULLY. I performed a FULL BACKUP of her Windows Mail subdirectory, the Program Files\Windows Mail subdirectory and the Windows Mail registry keys. I followed the page 1 Forum Posting on installation and updating WinMail. This allowed me to ONLY need use of the Local Folders backup contents (Inbox and Sent mostly) from everything I backed up. I tried to start WinMail with the current "Feature 1909" AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail subdirectory in place but AS EXPECTED, this resulted in an 0x800C013E error. I then terminated that WinMail process and DELETED everything from the Windows Mail subdirectory in AppData\Local\Microsoft. I then started WinMail, created the G-Mail account with pop.gmail.com (SSL Port 995) and smtp.gmail.com servers (SSL Port 587) but checked the Do not download... checkbox at the end of the account setup panel and closed WinMail. I then copied in all .EML files ONLY (NOT .fol files) from my Backup Inbox and Sent folders to the newly created Inbox and Sent folders in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders. The new START of WinMail was successful and NEW E-Mail from G-Mail came in automatically. Testing by sending and receiving E-Mails from other accounts was SUCCESSFUL. Windows 10 Pro had PRESERVED the .EML Default App by file type setting and the WinMail setting as the Mail Application.
I have to say even as an IT person with over 9+ years experience, I ALWAYS open a Command Prompt (either User or Administrator depending on Registry keys to be modified) and type the .REG file name to be applied and hit Enter and answer the prompts. When I read the "extract and merge" instructions for the Registry files, I said, "What the heck is this merge reference?" I knew that indeed I wanted the contents of the .REG file to be merged into the Windows Registry, but I never performed a RIGHT-Click on a .REG file until last night when I saw "Merge" in bold as the first choice in the pull down subpanel! Live and LEARN! Before this, I did use the User Command Prompt to apply the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry settings and an Administrator Command Prompt to apply the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry settings successfully. (I never did use the Merge pulldown choice last night.)

Thanks again, All
Chev IT Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo M58p
    CPU
    intel Core-2 Duo E8500
    Memory
    4 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 23470
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I am happy you have WinMail working Chev

..but AS EXPECTED, this resulted in an 0x800C013E error.
If done correctly as per instructions there are no "as expected" errors - that only happens if it's not done correctly.

I then copied in all .EML files ONLY (NOT .fol files) from my Backup Inbox and Sent folders to the newly created Inbox and Sent folders in..
Again none of this altered long way is necessary or recommended, and takes 50x longer.
Follow the WinMail Backup/Restore 1, 2, 3 procedures instructions on Post 1 verbatim... it's a few simple clicks of the mouse to create, and the same to restore it, and end up with a very quick, no fuss no muss, no errors - and just quickly get a working restore of an identical WinMail client top to bottom.

Also about merge, yes a double click of the reg file, or right click, merge, is the standard. Sure back in the DOS days we also did via Command Prompt, but honestly now, a double click or right click merge, its outcome is the exact same thing, but 50x faster! ..for newbies or old techs alike.

Anyway, I see you have posted before, and I've replied to you pretty much all the same things.

Bottom line, I Am Very Happy you have a working WinMail and enjoy it.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Gents and Ladies,
My humblest APOLOGIES for NOT making it CLEAR in my "Thank You Post" that the PURPOSELY NOT FOLLOWED process was intended as a TEST to get an 0x800C013E error message to see what happens when the WinMail code is applied to a new Win 10 feature and the old previous Win 10 Feature WinMail subdirectory in the user's %LOCALAPPDATA% directory is improperly processed. I also got to test my "fix". My background is a Software TESTER, retired from a very large international computing firm, and I am not a developer by any means, but I truly appreciate our developers' efforts. By education I am an Electrical Engineer, now with 9 years experience as an IT Assistant in a Windows OS environment with VMware virtualization and Liquidware Labs Profile Unity.
I cannot stress the importance of following the correct procedures for implementing WinMail! In the future, I will either state my testing effort CLEARLY, or NOT mention them at all.

Chev IT Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo M58p
    CPU
    intel Core-2 Duo E8500
    Memory
    4 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 23470
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
...or NOT mention them at all.

I'd appreciate that, because there's already a complete easy and effective path of resolve honed from many many years of hands on testing. It's unnecessary to post here now about arbitrary testing trials for something that's already efficiently solved, as it only adds reading confusion for those that have a hard time to understand the main process in the first place. If you want to present other possible discovery do so via PM please. I could write a page of pertinent reply from your first post, but will resist the urge to do so for expediency. Simply using the Backup/Restore 1, 2, 3 technique (in the myriad of variation choices of what mail to keep as base) preserves Everything desired chosen, all inclusively, quicker than the time it takes to write this paragraph.
Thank you for your interest though.

endeavor

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I wanted to say that I got most of this working. I used to use Outlook express and Winmail and always redirected the Maintenance folder to be an a separate partition and that worked out nicely.
Recently however I needed to get a friends Winmail from a machine that was running a modified Winmail version on a Windows7. transferred to a new Win 10 Pro. I followed the instructions and the WinMail launched withing problem. I did not use the default directory initially because in the past I had 0 issued with modifying the path.
My issue here is and I have resorted back to using the %Path%/appdata/local/microsoft/windows mail with the same problem. The issue is that when moving the data store from the old machine to the new machine creates a nested set of folders. Upon launching the application it must be recreating all the folders and files and then reads the others and puts them underneath the original directory tree. My thought is that the Win 10 folders and Windows 7 folders are not seeing the correct permissions. Thoughts ? I can do a screen shot but at the time of this writing I have cleaned out the folder again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 10 pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Mozilla
    Antivirus
    McAfee
Hello mikeinpa and welcome to the EightForums

I did not use the default directory initially because in the past I had 0 issued with modifying the path.
Okay, but the instructions are very clear what to do and what not to do with this.
What you once could do on Win7 and Win8 compared to when you use WinMail in Win10, a few of these particulars are not so easy anymore because of Win10 depreciation of nearly the entire WinMail client code and it needs to be reinstated as default, and so your MSF needs to be in the default location since default prerequisites are invoked when you first reinstate it.

Hopefully you have made a zipped copy of the fully working message store folder as instructed?

The issue is that when moving the data store from the old machine to the new machine creates a nested set of folders. Upon launching the application it must be recreating all the folders and files and then reads the others and puts them underneath the original directory tree.
I understand. I dislike when that happens, but it only happens when you have a corrupted MSF source either by itself, or you caused it by not following the 1, 2, 3 Backup/Restore procedures to the letter. Once you corrupt the MSF though, you cannot recover it. (That's just one of the reasons to zip it while it's fully working) MSF corruption in itself is not a problem if you did what the instructions say which is to create a 1, 2, 3 Backup of the MSF (and zip it) first! If you have that 1, 2, 3 backup, fixing your problem will just take a few minutes! It's an easy fix! If you don't have one sorry but that's your fault then.

Thoughts ?
Read post #3

Simply, follow the 'Restore' instructions of the 1, 2, 3, Backup/Restore Procedures exactly, and "as long as the original MSF is/was not corrupted" you'll be back up running in minutes. Also note that before you make a copy of the source MSF though, make sure beforehand (if you changed it) to put it back to the default message store location (if it's not there already) and that everything is working correctly! ..then you can create a proper 1, 2, 3, Backup.
You see (as is) you cannot restore a message store folder that has a different path hard coded into its store already, while then restoring that on Win10 when it reinstates itself in the default settings - it will corrupt and do what it's doing to you by trying to recover itself creating a mess of extra recovery folders, does not get it all right, is undesirable, and unnecessary since you can entirely avoid that situation. (Nested folders can also happen if you make a mistake with the path - see #1 of Restore for more specific information on nested) Anyway your original MSF must also be in its default location in the first place when you create a backup (and zip that backup for the safety as mentioned in the tutorial for the reasons why) When you get it working, then you can change it to wherever you want, but, I advise against it, because invariably you are going to run into the same problem if you are not careful, because any major Win10 update depreciates, and the reinstating default will not tolerate non-default locations at that point of time.

Just follow all the information in the Backup/Restore 1, 2, 3 procedures as it's written.
...if you follow it exactly, you will not have a problem.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
All of a sudden every time i open up mail, it prompts me for all of my accounts username and passwords? i have to remove all accounts and import them then it works. But after every shut down and reopening of mail i have to do the same thing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Hello stiffler, I remember you and our many conversations as you have been a member here for many a year now.
If you read back at all your posts, you have had this same similar problem before, and my answers are always the same.

I remember you like to use the import accounts button, because you said you have too many accounts and to copy/paste each one would take too long. In the tutorial I talk about all this and the reasons why to do it the way is written. fwiw, I probably have more accounts than you do; I never use the accounts import button (in a WinMail reinstate process) for the reasons Tutorial explains. It takes me 60 seconds to copy/paste the password in to each respective: Accounts> Properties> Server ..tabs, and here Be Sure to checkmark 'Remember' and click 'Apply' on each one or it won't take; same is true if you use the other method to enter only when server prompted (but here it prompts for both username/pass, whereas when you do it from a proper Restore of a B/R 1, 2, 3 procedure, and manually enter, you only need to paste in just the Password ..the name is already there in the restore process) makes it easier. That's the way I choose.
Did you just do an new reinstate procedure, and update/upgrade for this prompt to show up?
Anyway, if you've done all of the above for the B/R 1, 2, 3 procedure (you didn't or this would not happen) but the answer and resolve is in the spoiler of the Backup/Restore 1, 2, 3 procedure. I would be just repeating myself and what I typed in the tutorial if I type it all again, but the answers and resolve are always the same. In the long run, trust me here, it's just easier in the long run to do it the way that works the best first and every time. It takes me/you 100x longer to type your post and me my reply, so to save time follow the instructions the way it's written. I am always happy to help with that.

endeavor

HappyHolidays.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Updated Post #2 screenshots finally on Tutorial, to now include WinMail testing/working on Windows 10, v20H2
...not that there was ever any doubt <vbg>

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Everything works as described.
Any way to change toolbar background blue color ?

I noticed the last number of Win10 OS versions I've installed the title bars are all white now, at first I just thought it was just something I did in my rush with the many settings changes I always make, but now see it's just the new default. No matter, I quickly put them back blue as it shows that way in my tutorial OS screenshots.

I just booted Win10 20H2 and made a quick screenshot to show you my settings, and I circled a few, and so just duplicate them.
..or set it up how you please. There's a lot of options that seem to change a little every couple of OS versions lately.

Right click on the Desktop, click Personalize> Colors ..and in this screenshot below just duplicate what I did.
It's the Title bars and borders check boxes, and other changes to set; also I like to turn Transparency on, etc..
Screenshot:
TitleBarBlue.jpg

I am glad everything else with WinMail worked for you viliusm.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I wanted to say this in the beginning of the tutorial, I started to type it, but realized it's long enough as it is, so I will say it here:
Use a good Anti Virus that will also cover your email client in some way. Don't be naive thinking it won't happen to you, and best not to view WinMail email in HTML unless you are fully adept with everything about it, and importantly adept at resolving the consequences that 'if' by chance you're fed some malicious code via html viewing, or attachments, that you can fully recover from any and all mishaps. It will happen sooner or later (hopefully not of course) but don't fool yourself thinking it'll never happen to you, so again play it safe!
The same is true of all email clients though, should use a minimal AV of some sort, as well as for all-round computer use!

I could tell you a few stories with some of the best techs, although rare, getting into a jam themselves.

Be Wise, Be Safe, and have backups of Everything! Best yet is to also have a current dated full OS partition image backup.

I've duplicated this message now is Post #5 for good measure - I do care to protect your WinMail email client usage

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Goodnight.
Thank you very much for your work. I read in post # 621 some questions regarding languages.

Have you used Windows Mail before? ..how long? -> I started using it in Vista
..did you use the WinMail Tutorial from Post 1, or Post 1&2 to set it up? ->Yes, I used 1 and 2. I have Win10 pro v20H2, working Ok
Do you have WinMail fully working already in English? -> Yes
Did you have to translate the WinMail Tutorial into English, to be able to use it? ->Yes, I understand English, but I prefer the translator so as not to be mistaken.

This is why I would appreciate the instructions for Spanish (from Spain). If possible.
You say you posted it and deleted it, to avoid subsequent maintenance. I promise you that I try it, I tell you how it works, and if it goes wrong, I forget and continue in English.
Thanks again for your work for so many years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back