How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

So any fixes for Win 2004 update as Winmail no longer works on this?

Hello g4challenge,

Sure it does work, WinMail works just fine in v2004, just as the tutorial is listed; no changes needed!
click spoiler
Click image to open full screen

Win10_v2004.jpg

Also, you give less than 1 sentence of info, please read Post #3 and before you post give full and proper information.
Read and understand Everything in Post 1 & 2, and then Post #3
If you understand and follow everything correctly, as you can see it Will Work!

Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Until today, the mai applications I got from this page have always worked, but after the win 10 2004 update, there is something missing and I cannot receive or send mail. I checked everything twice, it seems to be working empty, but it does not receive and send mail

1592946074563.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win mail
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    win 10
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1gb
    Browser
    exploer
    Antivirus
    avast
Until today, the mai applications I got from this page have always worked, but after the win 10 2004 update, there is something missing and I cannot receive or send mail. I checked everything twice, it seems to be working empty, but it does not receive and send mail

Hello ziran and welcome to the Eight Forums,

Everything works just fine if done correctly, you must have skipped over understating parts of the tutorial.
You cannot proceed unless you totally comprehend everything in the procedures.
The answer for you is listed right there in Post #1, find the Spoiler labeled "Important Time Line Notes" and click to open, then go to the Note: 7/2019 listing, and read everything there, even see within the Spoiler labeled:
"Screenshots: Send, or Save, or 0x800C013E error messages"
Here I even give a screenshot in there that shows Exactly what you show, and I explain how and why - Did you not see it?
(fwiw, I've also repeatedly answered this same question many times in other posts already)
Please read Post #3 being sure to understand some things, and then go back and read what I've mentioned above.

Bottom line for you, I hope you created a Backup of the Backup & Restore procedure Before you updated? ..because if you do a full Restore of that - then all your problems are over, and you are back working again instantly.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
The winmail addition, which works perfectly on all win 10 updates so far, seems to work after the win 10 2004 update, but does not receive or send mail. and if there is an incoming mail on the server, it gives an error and does not work. Can the friend who made the additions have a check? does not work with this form
Ek Açıklama 2020-06-23 235003.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win mail
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    win 10
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1gb
    Browser
    exploer
    Antivirus
    avast
Thank you very much, I read your messages and warnings in 1.c and second paragraphs, but I couldn't find the fix link, I uploaded it to the user file as you said, but I was not able to run it. but while reading your article, you suggest another solution, I did it. . I deleted the backup mails that were the old mail domains under the username. I'd be rebuilt. I turned to zero then everything started working, but if I reload old mail, it wouldn't work again. worked with new one. thank you very much for your help and let us use this winmail good evening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win mail
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    win 10
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1gb
    Browser
    exploer
    Antivirus
    avast
Thank you very much.....

Your Welcome.
I only know how to speak and type English, but you seem to know how to in Two languages it seems and that's very good. However trying to translate this tutorial from English into another language is fraught with inconsistencies, and will not pick up the correct nuances for full proper understanding.

All the answers to fix the problem you posted about, and where to find those answers, and in what spoiler button, is given in my last post to you above. This information must be fully understood or it will happen to you again and again in your next upgrade(s).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
on windows 10 1909 does mapi work?

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    H8PC
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    10gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nviia
Hello monliv and welcome to the Eight Forums.
(please do not quote entire posts, thank you)

Yes mapi works as it shows that it does.
Please read Posts 1, 2, and 3 Completely, Before posting.

Thank you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello Endeavor,
I have some questions:
1. In the attachments in Post#1 there is one file named "Option=WM_SplashScreen_On_Off.zip", but I don't find in any of the steps from 1 to 14 that instructed to use this file. Can you tell me what this file is for?
2. About Restore: you said in the "Spoiler: Backup/Restore procedure" that during restoring you should "restore those 3 items you've previously created above" BEFORE opening Winmail. I am wondering, how to do step 3 of restore without opening Winmail?
3. How to temporarily disable UAC?
I am trying to install Winmail in a new laptop with Win10 1909 system. Tried a few times but still could not be successful. Problems described in your timeline notes 7/2019 like could not send and receive occurred, and I could not have the previous setups and old emails shown. I am trying to figure out which step I had done wrong or missing?
Hope you could help me out. Thank you!
Danny

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Hello Endeavor,
I have some questions:
1. In the attachments in Post#1 there is one file named "Option=WM_SplashScreen_On_Off.zip", but I don't find in any of the steps from 1 to 14 that instructed to use this file. Can you tell me what this file is for?

Hello Danny!
As with any reg file it's simply a right-click (or double-click) and merge.
The fact that each one is labeled On or Off is self-explanatory.
Other info about it is contained within that zip as a text file called "WM_Splash_Options......txt"
You can click either one at any time or place and is not dependent on anything, except of course a working WinMail client.

2. About Restore: you said in the "Spoiler: Backup/Restore procedure" that during restoring you should "restore those 3 items you've previously created above" BEFORE opening Winmail. I am wondering, how to do step 3 of restore without opening Winmail?

The reason to do it before you open WinMail, is so just in case you have things not assembled right, and upon opening, if WinMail sees parameters out of place, it will corrupt the message store folder and start that darned email recovery process, which makes a mess with all your emails placing them inside new recovered folders, etc. It's not a desirable situation, but it is Always easy to fix simply by restoring your backup of the Backup and Restore procedures which takes just 2 minutes!
However it is to know that all major updates and upgrades of Windows 10 will destroy your message store folder anyway. So again you just simply do a Restore and you are good to go in minutes!

3. How to temporarily disable UAC?
Please do your own research on that one please, this is a self help tutorial about WinMail.
For instance for Windows 10 just search the Ten forums forum for UAC related info, and up comes your answer.
Like this for Windows 10
Enable or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows
Like this for Windows 8
User Account Control (UAC) - Change Settings in Windows 8
..see how easy that was ;)

Problems described in your timeline notes 7/2019 like could not send and receive occurred, and I could not have the previous setups and old emails shown.
All the answers are there what to do, and so if you end up with that particular problem like you mention above, you simply Restore your backup of the Backup & Restore procedures. As told so many times already, if you did not make one, I'm very sorry but that's your fault since I've explained it so Many times throughout the tutorial and my posts. If you don't have a backup you will have to restore as default, and see the instructions how to do that.

Please though Everyone - it is so darn easy to do - Never be without a Backup of the Backup & Restore instructions - there is no way around it. 2 minutes of your time in easy simple preparation, will save everything in perfect order - if you don't, you lose it all and will have to start default. It's your choice!

It's all there in the tutorial Danny, I would be just keep repeating myself if I typed it out all again like I've been doing.
Please read Post #3 again with understanding, and then go back and re-read Post 1 including all the info in spoilers, and Post 2 - it's easy, but take your time to understand everything and its reasonings.

Edit:
I am wondering, how to do step 3 of restore without opening Winmail?
Well when you are at that last step of the Restore process #3, at that point implies you will have to open WinMail to do that.
However I will edit the instructions and make that notation.
..done..

Thank you

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi again Endeavor,
Can you send me the Italian Language WinMail Files?
I have a fully working WinMail on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018, as seen in the attached screenshot.image.png
So, can you please help me whenever you get the chance?
Thanks in advance, and wish you all the best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10, Win7, Win8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo/ASUS
Hello Mindrek,

Yes sure I will help you. Please give me a week or two, I'm on season end break with the family at the moment, and can help after that. I just logged in to reply quickly after I received a notice of a new post. Next week or so when I'm free, I will install the Italian language, etc, and get the files together for you.

Actually going forward, I may start attaching them to Post 4 as I go along now, and then write up the instructions there; which btw I have to finalize those in a fuller way than the write up I have previously done years ago. I will think about in in the interim and decide which way I want to supply them.
Please give me time to do this after I'm back in a week, and then up to another week after that to reply.

Edited.. ..two weeks later:
Thank you for supplying all the rest of the info I asked for in post #4, it was a pleasure to work with you.

Communication was continued and Italian language delivered via PM instead.

..results: :)
Click image to open full size
ItalianWin10_LTSCv1809x64Mindrek.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
All of a sudden I had pop ups in my email for all my accounts to input username and passwords to get emails? I have to delete all my accounts and put the saved ones back in to get emails? Something corrupted in the email client? Should I remove windows mail completely and reinstall it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
All of a sudden I had pop ups in my email for all my accounts to input username and passwords to get emails?

More info please!
First of all, in those pop ups, when you enter in those name and passwords again, what happens - does it work or not?

..depending on your answer above if it still works or not, dertermines what you will have to do next..

I have to delete all my accounts and put the saved ones back in to get emails? Something corrupted in the email client? Should I remove windows mail completely and reinstall it?

I've been just repeating myself lately with the same message in so many recent posts with others, but it's always the same answer.

Actually briefly looking at a few of your last posts:
How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10
..and the answer is still the same as I told you back then.
Here in another post that you said you would do it from now on:
How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8 or Windows 10
So did you create a WinMail 1, 2, 3 Backup? ..and I'm not talking about System Restore either (although that's a lesser way)

If you choose not to create a backup, that is your choice.
However the best choice is clear, that in the 2 minutes time it took you to type your last message above, you could of used that 2 minutes time instead to restore your latest current working backup and be fully working again.

Yes, besides occasional corruption, most MS larger updates but especially upgrades, will corrupt your message store folder - the fix is simply to restore your last save current backup (and so obviously create backups often to keep that backup current!)

Read Post #1 and #2 again, especially paying attention to these few Spoilers in Post #1:
Important Time Line Notes
..and then:
Important WinMail Backup/Restore procedures
..Especially read the new tutorial Create Backup 1, 2, 3 ..and then the Restore Backup 1, 2, 3 - understand them inside and out.

Everything you ever need to know is all within those first 4 tutorial posts to keep WinMail working.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
The login and password windows pop up to sign in ea and every account. that would take way to long to do. I just remove all my accounts and import them again to get it to work again. Never happened before. I have backed up all my emails and accounts. Just wondering if something is corrupted to ask for my credentials every time I start up my email all of a sudden

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Just wondering if something is corrupted to ask for my credentials every time I start up my email all of a sudden

As mentioned above, yes, besides occasional corruption for various reasons, depending on each case which can be different. It even happened to me one day last year with those popup request for my credentials again, and I just plugged the passwords back in and it was fine <shrug> For me I think possibly it was the server that I use at my ..com, which I'm thinking they may have reset their software in some way thus causing me to have to enter them back in. There is a specific reason for each time though, it varies; similarly back in the days of Vista, message store corruption of any sort, could happen for its own reasons.

Then for Win10 we have most MS larger updates will now totally mess WinMail, but especially Win10 Upgrades will now Remove WinMail entirely and also corrupt/destroy your message store folder. In all cases though the fix is simply to restore your last saved most recent current 1, 2, 3 Backup, as outlined in the tutorial..

In your case, if you just had to restore your accounts and passwords because of a simple glitch, consider yourself lucky :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi Endeavor,

Just want to report to you. Last time I did follow all the steps, including all backup and restore procedures described in your posts (at least I think so) but was not successful. Today I started to do all again. I did not disable UAC as it is just annoying but would not affect the result. I did disable Windows Defender temporary though.
And also, I found that within the C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft folder there is another folder named "Windows Live" which is not within Microsoft folder in the new computer, so I copied it into the new computer too, together with the winmail Storage Folder. I didn't know if this has anything to do with winmail at all, but I just copied it anyway.

Anyway after finished all steps, I see winmail opened and everything shown on the screen just the same as in the old computer. This is really exciting! So I just want to share with you and express my many thanks to you again for all you have done for all of us who like Winmail so much.

Wish you all the best and stay safe from the COVID-19 and all other bad things!

Best regards,
Danny

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Disabling UAC temporally, by sliding the lever to off, while you install WinMail - is no problem whatsoever.

That Windows Live folder you mention has Nothing at all to do with WinMail, there was absolutely no need to copy it.

Hi Endeavor,

Just want to report to you. Last time I did follow all the steps, including all backup and restore procedures described in your posts (at least I think so) but was not successful.

However if you did follow it correctly, it would of worked, and it will work every single time, when done correctly.
You just missed some step at first is all.

Anyway after finished all steps, I see winmail opened and everything shown on the screen just the same as in the old computer. This is really exciting! So I just want to share with you and express my many thanks to you again for all you have done for all of us who like Winmail so much.

Yes it is exciting..
Congratulations Danny, good work, and thank you for your support over the years. I do appreciate it!

Be sure after you get it all the setup the way you want, then to make a 1, 2, 3 Backup of it, and keep it current.

Thank you for all your kind words and C-19 well wishes, and I wish the same right back for you and your family as well.

endeavor

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Install seemed to work and WinMail (Vista) seems to run on Windows 8.1 ... but where to get "Update_5-2018.zip"?

... I did not yet test sending/receiving mails ...

Btw: I had to copy msidcrl30.dll with Total Commander into System32 - otherwise it was copied to SysWOW64

Problem:

I need setting "do not use thrash folder for deleted mails" (mails have to be striked through). But: entering Menu: "Tools" => "Options" => "Advanced" the settings list is completely empty ... Where to "activate" these settings - or where to set any kind of registry settings (or else) to deactivate thrash folder?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello Kukattooo, and welcome to the EightForums.

... but where to get "Update_5-2018.zip"?
You can't be serious asking that question ?
It's right there attached to post 1 !

This tutorial is for Advanced Computer Users Only Please

Read Post #3, and then Post #1 completely, and understand them 'before' posting.
(As the tutorial says for Win8 never use anything in post 2 for Win8)

I had to copy msidcrl30.dll with Total Commander into System32 - otherwise it was copied to SysWOW64
That is impossible if you properly use regular file explorer (recommended) for copy/paste.
As others have found out, copying downloaded files from the tutorial with a 32-bit file manager Total Commander is a bad idea and does not work right; you need to use the 64 bit version if at all.
Anyway, I only recommend using the built in file explorer to download/copy/paste files here for this tutorial.

entering Menu: "Tools" => "Options" => "Advanced" the settings list is completely empty
Then you did not properly follow instructions, because it's all fully there (with screenshots even) and fully working correctly.

...Again, read post #3 completely, and then for Win8 read and properly follow Post 1 "Before" posting. Thank you

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP