How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

The question is, in the windows 10 works Winmail?

Yes!
See the screenshots of the different versions so far, on post 1 (and 2) ..and the instructions how to do it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
The question is, in the windows 10 works Winmail?

The answer is still "YES".
The same fix for Windows Mail (Winmail) that works in Windows 7, works in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

I use it exclusively on all OS's for my email.

Windows Mail is the only email program that works as well and just like Outlook Express 6, which many of us used for over ten years.

Cheers Mates!
TechnoMage :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
So, I just wrote at Window 7 forum about I succesfully corrected .reg files for both Windows 8.1 x86 and x64 , so no more that annoying "Help! Help! My Mail stopped working after update!" :) But there is problem in my correction: in Win 8.1 it's localized tweak and I'm Russian speaking guy, so I can try to correct it for English speaking users, but I need beta-tester for that. Does somebody help me (I think anyone from administrators is preferred, but somebody else is good enough). And Yes, I improved Windows Calendar notifications as well

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
Hello NoMatterWho, and welcome to the Eight forums.

Please see all my replies to your post over at the Seven forums, so we can keep that discussion in one place.

Thank you

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hi, endeavor
Thank for Your answer, but Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 are completely different systems in terms of how to make Windows Mail fully usable, so I think I should to stay here

So, beta testers still are needed

My Computer

System One

• OS
SFC /SCANNOW

On a working WinMail setup, when you run sfc /scannow on Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10, whether x86 or 64, WinMail will stop working.

SFC doesn't just change one WinMail program folder file like it does on Windows 7, but it changes almost all of them, depending. As well some major (sometimes minor) Windows Updates also stops WinMail from working, by changing these files.

For simplicity sake, to get WinMail working again the best and easiest way to do so is just to re-take ownership of the Windows 8 or Windows 10 Windows Mail program folder, delete it, and copy back in a saved copy of your working one.

I bench tested sfc /scannow with Windows 8.1 with the latest updates, and this weeks Windows 10 build 10130

I've edited my installation instructions at the beginning of this thread on Post #1 to reflect various changes.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
As I wrote on Win 7, it's simply because on Win 8 You need different registry keys from Win 7 and on Win 10 You need different keys from Win8. And while You don't want to co-operate for getting improvement, all You have is posting those "smart" investigations

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have Windows Vista/7/8/10 on my test bench setups installed for testing (not VM's either but actual installs) consisting of x86/x64, 8 OS's for testing.

software/registry tracking shows me that:
~running sfc /scannow on Win8/10 overwrites 9 out of 11 files in it's WM programs folder whether x86/64 - where on Windows 7 it's only 1 file.
~There are 5 registry s/b/s keys which affects this, maybe more, I've tested most of them on both Windows 8 & 10, but in that process and observing the cbs.log file - I have come to realize this:
~Especially for Windows 10 - I do not want to remove any s/b/s/ registry keys since more-than-likely it will affect more than just our old Vista WinMail program, but also targets their new ''Windows Mail'' App that's installed on these new builds of Win10 coming into play - I have no intention on interfering with that or anything else just for the sake of our old Vista WinMail eMail client.
~Besides that and as Important, various Windows Updates when done overwrite at will those same WM program files too, for their own app reasons, and removing any s/b/s registry keys will Not stop that 'WU' process.
~In light of both of those issues, what I am saying, for those who use this old Vista WinMail email program on Win8/10 and it gets broken either because of running SFC, or Windows Updates - that it's Much Better, AND, More Appropriate, to put it back into working status by a simple one click Take Ownership reg> delete the WM Programs folder> then copy/paste their backup WM folder in its place.. ..takes me just 10 seconds.. ..done! Safe & Effective! ..without compromising other operations. Tested! Proven! ..on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Ah, catch it. I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

I know for Win 8.1 it's OK (in adding for right files cache tweaking stops updates for native mail help or something similar: I can't remember what a thing exactly because that native POS don't matter for me absolutely; at other hand, it isn't something destroy system definitely), but for Win 10 it's different case. I don't interesting that OS, so I didn't make appropriate tests at all, hence, I can't say anything meaningful about side effects.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Tried this in my Win 10 (L: partition) and got the following in the Elevated CMD:
Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Hi Peter, good to hear from you, hope you are doing well?

As far as that error you received, L partition hmmm, well try just just sticking the dll in the same WM programs folder you're running from and start it.
You know I've Never has to register the dll either, and I've done the procedure so many times I've lost count, nevertheless you can see others run into it. If you did though, don't forget to change the path of the command to L

I know you are a fantastic forager of answers, and we know that on a daily basis you mostly give them too, so I'll let you do the walking. If you did everything else right, it'll be easy to fix, and we know for a fact you are very talented and handy.

~~~~~~~

@ stiffler, you really don't give a lot of details, and you need to give the exact wording of the error, but giving so little details how do we know you did everything exactly? If you did, it would work.
This is a self-help thread, and so please do your part. Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
i did this:

Then right click on your W8 'Program Files/Windows Mail' folder, and click Take Ownership.
~ Then right click on your W8 'Program Files/Windows Mail' folder, and Delete it.
~ Then copy/paste your saved *working* Windows 7 (or Vista) 'Windows Mail' folder to Windows 8 same.
~ Create a shortcut from the WinMail.exe you just copied - to the Desktop.
~ copy/paste your Windows 7 C:\Windows\System32\msidcrl30.dll file over to Windows 8 same.
~ Download the WinMailEdit.reg (supplied at the bottom of this post) ..and merge it (x86/x64)
~ Then you are done..

when i try to open the mail in win 10 i get "windows mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7
Actually with Win 10 I'm poking around rather blindly but am assuming it works similarly to Win 8.1 which I had before. The last time I put WinMail in an unconventional situation was here on my Win 7 which worked fine. I even got the Calendar working too. I don't recall ever having to register a .dll back then , but I was using the Tute in the Win 7 forums which is basically a batch file and not the Win 8 thread which talks about doing things the hard way.

I'll investigate further.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
i did this:

Thank you for the error message, the rest you just copy/pasted from my post #1 and that does not tell me you actually understood or did it correctly though. That error will only appear if you did not do it correctly. Also your signature indicates you only have Win7 and this is a Win8 forum and you don't give any other information of what you have all of which is important. I am fully truly being respectful when I say this, but installing this WinMail hack is for self-reliant persons who have an Above Average Understanding of computer functioning (having backups of their OS and everything) Before they make any changes like this. Having said that, installing WM takes less than a few minutes, of course the harder part is the normal setting-up of email clients which takes longer.

When it comes to using or installing WinMail on Win8 (and especially Win10) it is not supported, which means either you have the abilities to do it, and be self-reliant, or you should not do it at all. I am personally not offering support for it and especially have no time to do that, sorry - I've only taken the time to outline in post #1 how to do it for techies, which again only take a few minutes to have the 'basics' done and be able to start WinMail up, but then to finish the rest of normal client setup takes a little more time.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Actually with Win 10 I'm poking around rather blindly but am assuming it works similarly to Win 8.1 which I had before. The last time I put WinMail in an unconventional situation was here on my Win 7 which worked fine. I even got the Calendar working too. I don't recall ever having to register a .dll back then , but I was using the Tute in the Win 7 forums which is basically a batch file and not the Win 8 thread which talks about doing things the hard way.

I'll investigate further.

Hi Peter,
I know you have been around a long time and are a techie, and you in years past have given your time as a moderator at other forums.
You and I have had many conversations about WinMail throughout the years.
You've had WinMail setup on Win8 for so long you probably forgotten how you even did it by now.
You know that doing WinMail on 8 (or 10) is definitely different than Windows 7, its different than the tut over at the Seven forum and you can't do it the same way! A few years ago I created post #1 in this thread how to do it. I still edit my post as time goes on which is self-explanatory, ...but it's really easy for a person of your understanding to do - but there's no way around it, you have to do it the new way. All the information how to do it is on the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
it worked now just used my original win 7 mail folder.

..and that's what the instructions said to do right ;)

Good Job stiffler! :party:

I love it when people figure out how to do it themselves
...especially when I spent so much time to detail it Here :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Deleted and thanks.. The Tutorial Search here can trick you unless you read the top line for which forum.....thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
Thank you! Peter!
You can even delete your last one too, if you want.

fyi:
Always go to post #1 for the latest info, and is the only one I will keep current, and yes it is to re-instate WinMail on Windows 8, and yes it works for Windows 10 too - as of today anyway

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP