How to re-install Windows 8 from OEM version

flroots

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 laptop with Windows 8 installed. I wish to re-partition (into C and D), format, and re-install Windows 8 so that I can eliminate all bloatware. In order to accomplish this how do I accomplish the following:
1. Download and burn to DVD a copy of Windows 8
2. Retrieve the proper product key from my laptop that will be accepted during the install of Windows 8

I know for Windows 7 this process could be accomplished by retrieving the OEM product key (which is different than the key found on the COA sticker). With the OEM product key in hand you could then install and activate Windows 7. I wish to know how to do this with Windows 8 so I don't have to go purchase another Windows 8 even though my laptop came with a fully licensed copy. Thanks
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
Welcome to EightForums.

Did you order the Reinstall DVD with your Dell?

You would need to buy one from MS or a Retailer.

2. Retrieve the proper product key from my laptop that will be accepted during the install of Windows 8

You do not need to, as coded in to the uEFI BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Welcome to EightForums.

Did you order the Reinstall DVD with your Dell?

You would need to buy one from MS or a Retailer.

You do not need to, as coded in to the uEFI BIOS.
Thanks. I did not have the choice to order a DVD; I ordered it from Sam's Club. Could you elaborate on your response about the BIOS? I have seen a site where you can download Windows 8 such as here: but not sure how it works. It doesn't sound like it's designed for my situation.
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
You would still buy the Product Key.

How to use Dell Recovery Partition,make Recovery Disks & how to order Recovery Disks.

Dell - Support

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
You would still buy the Product Key.

How to use Dell Recovery Partition,make Recovery Disks & how to order Recovery Disks.

Dell - Support
Thanks. Don't understand this. Why would I be buying a product key? Doesn't the laptop come with one? BTW, I don't want recovery disks since that include all the bloatware as it comes from factory. I need a simple Windows 8 install disk.
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
Thanks. The way I understand it is that link is to download a copy of Windows 8 for someone who already has in hand a product key. My idea is that I have a product key which I should be able to extract from my new laptop. Since I've already purchased a Windows 8 license along with the laptop why shouldn't that work. Of course, I need to learn how to extract the product key from my laptop. The goal is to simply reinstall what I already own.
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
You would need to buy a new Product Key first, for Windodws 8 Pro.

Order a DVD from Dell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Good news: I have just confirmed that I can order a free copy of a Windows 8 CD from Dell once I provide them with the Express Service Code from my laptop. There is no product key required since it's included in the BIOS (as mentioned by theog above). Fortunately, there is no need to buy a product key.

The bad news is that I may have to revert back to Windows 7 since PGP has not been released for Windows 8:(
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
You are welcome. :dinesh:

As your new Dell PC has a uEFI BIOS:

How to install with a uEFI BIOS:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html
Thanks. I read the link above. It doesn't seem desirable to me for several reasons:
1. I wish to partition my drive into C and D where C holds OS and programs and D holds all data. The link says you can't do that.
2. I wish to use Acronis True Image to backup the C partition, but the link says you cannot backup on sector by sector basis
3. I may very well revert back at some point to Windows 7 if some of my software hasn't yet been updated to Windows 8

Do these reasons make sense? Have I concluded correctly that I should not use uEFI?
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
You still can
I wish to partition my drive into C and D where C holds OS and programs and D holds all data.

Partition 4 would be C:
Partition 5 would be D:

Windows 8 Downgrade-007 SB.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I might like to upgrade the Windows 8 my new laptop comes with to Windows 8 Pro using the $39.99 promotion. I can purchase and download the ISO file to my current Windows 7 (32 bit) computer. My question is whether the resulting ISO file is for 32 bit only or is it both 32 and 64 bit? Ideally, it is both and I can use the DVD created from the ISO file to do a clean install to my Windows 8 laptop.
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB
flroots said:
I have read that the Upgrade Assistant generates an error if you run it on a Windows 8 PC

That is because you need to use ADD FEATURE, using the Upgrade Product Key to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

With the dell DVD Windows 8 HP, you only need the Upgrade Product Key to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

You can use the Upgrade Product Key in ADD Features to upgrade.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6673-add-features-windows-8-a.html

You can order the upgrade on your current 32 bit Windows 7 PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
flroots said:
I have read that the Upgrade Assistant generates an error if you run it on a Windows 8 PC

That is because you need to use ADD FEATURE, using the Upgrade Product Key to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

With the dell DVD Windows 8 HP, you only need the Upgrade Product Key to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks. As mentioned, I'm trying to take advantage of the $39.99 promotion.
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
flroots said:

Thanks. As mentioned, I'm trying to take advantage of the $39.99 promotion.
Pete
Thanks. We're obviously not communicating. I've read countless threads that explain how to use the $39.99 Windows 8 Pro promotion to do a clean install to a blank drive. My only question relates to whether the ISO file created by the Upgrade Assistant is bit-wise meaning that the DVD created can only be used on the bit type of the computer that the ISO file was downloaded to. I have read that it is bit-wise, but I would like to confirm that (preferably from MS).
Pete

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R 5520
    Memory
    8 GB

My Computer

System One

• OS