How to move desktop folder location from C to D Drive???

Daveh0708

Hi All,

First time posting on here and feel a bit ashamed that I cannot work this out for myself so I am requesting the help of you, the masters!

I have a 256gb SSD as my C drive and want to leave this free for programs and general running of the system and put all my data onto the 1TB drive I have installed as D.

As a backstory I had this working in the past on my laptop, however last week I performed a factory reset and lost the connections to the target locations on the D drive. This laptop is on my work domain and previously I had it working just how I wanted it to without any Group Policy rules on the server to do this. I know that you can normally go to the folder properties and select locations, click on move then point to the target location and I have been able to do this with Downloads as can be seen below but not so lucky with the others.
Move Location 1.PNG

Now for some reason the 'restore default, move and find target' buttons are not available on folders such as Desktop, Music, Pictures, Videos which are the ones I REALLY want to move over, see below, and I cannot for the life of me remember how I can change this.
Move Location 2.PNG

So far I have tried changing the following in the registry but no success.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Whilst the string value data changes it does not move the information to the named folders on the D drive even after signing out or restarting. As it stands if trying to move the desktop all the icons (except recycle bin) and the files/folders disappear until I restore the registry so that it is pointing back to the original string.

Move Location 3.PNG

I hope that someone is able to help me on this and hopefully I have provided enough information that you can work with to ascertain what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro
I have a 120 GB SSD and 'moved' my user folders to my D drive with the MKLINK junction command in an elevated prompt.
Works as intended.
in the command window, type help mklink for some info, but there are numerous instructions on Google.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit (updt)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung NP355E7C
    CPU
    AMD A6
    Browser
    PaleMoon