How to make GPT volume bootable

PrettyStupid

I'm not sure the history is too helpful as the question says it all, but here it is.

On an Acer predator G3-605 running Windows 8.1 I had a mSATA 60GB SSD as system disk that was too small. I bought a larger replacement and used Acronis True Image 2019 to clone it. The clone was successful in that the files all appear to be copied, but when examined using Disk Management I see that the disk is not shown as Bootable. I have tried a Windows repair startup but that failed and produced the attached log file.

Although I am certain that I at no time cloned from larger disk to smaller, neither disk now is bootable ! And the (O&O) image I took before I started this also, when used to restore from, produces a disk that is not bootable. Baffled.

Reinstalling Windows then restoring all documents and reinstalling all programs is clearly one way forward, but I just want something like DISKPART ACTIVE that would remedy the problem. I don't know enough to know why there is no such command (as far as I know) for GPT disks.

Attachments

• SrtTrail.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 107
  • snip of diskmgmt.PNG
    snip of diskmgmt.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 136

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Predator G3-605
Have you tried booting your windows installation media with the original drive inside, selecting "repair your computer" then using:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i3-6100
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING
    Memory
    Kingston 1x8GB 2400MHz@CL15
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 34UM68-P
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1080
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB SSD
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W (Seasonic OEM)
    Case
    Zalman M1
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212X
    Keyboard
    Ozone Strike Battle MX Brown
    Mouse
    Roccat Nyth
    Internet Speed
    34 Mbit
    Browser
    Chrome, Cyberfox, Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    common sense upper-intermediate v3.0
    Other Info
    Some of the hardware might seem odd (PSU, SSD), but I'm not wasting money on replacing perfectly functional hardware only because a newer version is out. Nor am I willing to pay extortion money for replacements or intended upgrades (GPU, RAM), especially if that "upgrade" has a hardware design flaw (CPU).
Back