How to install Windows 8.1 on Windows 7 without data loss?

Abhishek

My friend has a Windows 7 laptop (32 bit) and his cousin recently won a Windows 8.1 Key and two Office Keys via some Microsoft coding competition or stuff.

Now the thing is how do I install it on his laptop?

He has just one partition (C drive) and wants to keep his personal files (images, music, videos, DOCs, PDFs, etc.).

So if I create a D partition using a software like EaseUS Partition, then move his data into D partition and then install Windows 8.1 on C partition then will his personal data be safe?

Also, is this the correct procedure to install Windows 8.1 64 bit on Windows 7 32 bit? As in shall I download the ISO from Microsoft and create a bootable disk or shall I just mount it in Windows 7 and run the setup exe file?

Please help me on this and I'm really sorry if questions like these have been asked before.

Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro (32 bit)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5738G
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Acer JV50
    Memory
    4 GB RAM DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 - 32 bit
    Hard Drives
    C: (120 GB)
    E: (143 GB)
    K: (24.3 GB)
    Keyboard
    Acer Inbuilt
    Mouse
    Acer Inbuilt, 5 Button Wheel Laser Mouse (External)
    Internet Speed
    8mbps downstream 2mbps upstream
    Browser
    Google Chrome (Stable Channel)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender (Windows 8.1), Malwarebytes Free Version
The correct procedure in installing a 64-bit version of Windows over the 32-bit version requires a clean install which will erase all the data, wipe the HDD/Hard Disk Drive, can't be done as an upgrade. Upgrades require the same version, 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
Okay. Now the funny part is, I don't even know if his laptop is 32-bit or 64-bit. :p
Just in case if it is 64-bit, how do I install 64-bit Windows 8.1 on 64-bit Windows 7 without losing personal data?

And the keys that Microsoft distributes, are they bit specific or can it be used on any (32 bit or 64 bit)?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro (32 bit)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire 5738G
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Acer JV50
    Memory
    4 GB RAM DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce G 105M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768 - 32 bit
    Hard Drives
    C: (120 GB)
    E: (143 GB)
    K: (24.3 GB)
    Keyboard
    Acer Inbuilt
    Mouse
    Acer Inbuilt, 5 Button Wheel Laser Mouse (External)
    Internet Speed
    8mbps downstream 2mbps upstream
    Browser
    Google Chrome (Stable Channel)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender (Windows 8.1), Malwarebytes Free Version
With Win7 running just put the Win8 disc in the drive and get started. You should have 2 choices, Upgrade or Clean install, choose the Upgrade.

The discs and downloads I've gotten did use the same Product Key for either version. BUT you can use it only once, can't install 32-bit then also install 64-bit using that same key, can be only on one computer at a time. The OEM version is tied to the computer it comes with but the Retail/Upgrade version can be installed on a Replacement computer but the first has to be done away with. If installed as an Upgrade the original version discs have to be retained to prove ownership of the previous version if asked for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
All you need to do is create a new partition for Windows 8.1, install it on that partition, and then edit your new boot menu so Windows 7 stays the default OS.
1.Use EaseUS Partition to resize existing partition and then create new partition.
2.Install Windows 8.1, When you're choosing installation type, be sure to select Custom (advanced),make sure you pick the new partition created for Windows 8.1 installation in the first step. When you're done, your computer should reboot into Windows 8.1
3.When you first boot up into Windows 8.1 that you're presented with a new graphical boot menu that'll let you choose between your Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installations.
Video tutorials should help you : https://youtu.be/LV99w162HlQ

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
Back