How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

Well i am downloading it now,first step worked for me,plus fiber optics speeds make it quick,let you know how it goes.:D 10 min. or so total time:cool: All downloaded and burned to ISO,Time will tell.Wait till tomorrow to try this out ,, gettin late here.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
jds63: Do not buy, you don't need to!

The ISO you get following the OP's simple process gets you the RTM ISO! I used it to upgrade both my workstation and convertible tablet using their official 8.0 keys to activate them. Everything is legit. We're just getting a round-about way of getting the RTM ISO. So you have the ISO for insurance later, just use a generic key to install (I used XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for 8.1 x64 Pro) and your official 8.0 key to activate 8.1.

My workstation is a quite elaborate installation and it migrated everything without a hitch. Make sure you have Win 8 up-to-date.

To clarify. This gets you the GA ISO not the RTM. The builds numbers are different. I'm not near my PC to get them.

Can someone provide please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
What about cleanup?

I've created ISO successfully using this method to make a recovery disk - thanks - but still have C:\ESD\Windows which is not deleted. This is not removed by disk cleanup.

Does anything else need deleting or just this directory? Or is there some point in keeping this directory as well as the ISO generated?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
What about cleanup?

I've created ISO successfully using this method to make a recovery disk - thanks - but still have C:\ESD\Windows which is not deleted. This is not removed by disk cleanup.

Does anything else need deleting or just this directory? Or is there some point in keeping this directory as well as the ISO generated?

Even I have to clean up the downloaded file.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD

The ISO you get following the OP's simple process gets you the RTM ISO! I used it to upgrade both my workstation and convertible tablet using their official 8.0 keys to activate them. Everything is legit. We're just getting a round-about way of getting the RTM ISO. So you have the ISO for insurance later, just use a generic key to install (I used XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for 8.1 x64 Pro) and your official 8.0 key to activate 8.1.

My workstation is a quite elaborate installation and it migrated everything without a hitch. Make sure you have Win 8 up-to-date.

To clarify. This gets you the GA ISO not the RTM. The builds numbers are different. I'm not near my PC to get them.

The build numbers are the same

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD
Hi from Italy.
Since Yesterday i try to "do the trick" but the only answer I have is "Unable to connect to internet try again later on"
Any sugestion?
Ciao Renato

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
    Self made
    CPU
    E6550
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K SE
    Memory
    4 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8400 GS
same here. I get Check your internet connection. My internet connection is working fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with WMC, Win 8.1 Pro with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Net Protector
can i use that image to reset my os i upgraded to 8.1 using windows store

Yes you can. That is what I did.

People have also had success using my instructions to get the ISO and then do a clean install using a generic key for install and then the Windows 8 retail key they have for activation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
hi MOSHARINO...im now is downloading the windows 8.1..i follow your steps which is as below.
Follow these steps to download the Windows 8.1 ISO.

1. Go here Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help scroll down and click on both 'Install Windows 8' and 'Install Windows 8.1'
  2. Run the Windows 8 setup and enter your retail Windows 8 key, click next and when i begins downloading, STOP it! Exit setup.
  3. Now run the the Windows 8.1 setup. It will produce and error. Exit and then run Windows 8.1 setup again.
  4. It should now be downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO. Afterwards you can save it as an ISO or create the USB media immediately.

but when im finished download??what i should do??run the iso??and i had read the other commend said that need generic key??how can i get that key???i only have retail key windows 8...but i now downloading windows 8.1....help me please..ty...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro
Well last time I linked to my Guides on WordPress I got banned for a blogspam. So I will instead link to the Dell Community which in turn leads to WordPress: Downloading Windows 8.1 using a Windows 8.0 Product Key - Windows 8 - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community
I have wrote this fix/workaround in more detail and performed 2 clean installations after secure wipes with DBAN. I had to use the generic key to install and the actual key to activate. I can say that it works.

The guide should help address some of the questions I see on this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Delll XPS 8300
    CPU
    i7-2600
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD5770
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2×Dell IN2030M
    Screen Resolution
    1600×900
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 120 GB SSD (Boot Drive)
    2×Hitachi HDS721010CLA322 1 TB HDDs (Storage)
    Keyboard
    Dell SK-8135
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials/Malwarebytes' AntiMalware
Well last time I linked to my Guides on WordPress I got banned for a blogspam. So I will instead link to the Dell Community which in turn leads to WordPress: Downloading Windows 8.1 using a Windows 8.0 Product Key - Windows 8 - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community
I have wrote this fix/workaround in more detail and performed 2 clean installations after secure wipes with DBAN. I had to use the generic key to install and the actual key to activate. I can say that it works.

ty i will try when download finished..i read already your post...and there has the generic key...=)...will inform when its work..ty sir..=)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro

The build numbers are the same

Windows 8.1 GA Build number: 9600.16404-130913-2141 (The ISO downloaded via my instructions)

Windows 8.1 RTM Build Number: 9600.16384.130821-1623
This is after doing a clean install of 8.1 using the ISO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

ty i will try when download finished..i read already your post...and there has the generic key...=)...will inform when its work..ty sir..=)

http://www.eightforums.com/installa...retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-key.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
FYI

In my original post i explain how to download the ISO for 8.1. I also mention that i did not do a clean install, but rather used the media to do a reset.

Well curiosity got the better of me so i backed up my install etc and performed a clean install.

I used (as suggested in the this thread) a generic key for installation. After install i changed the product key and it activated Windows without any issues what-so-ever!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 188

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
well..can someone please explain....why..windows 8.1 iso downloaded from this trick is 3.07GB...and upgrade from windows store is 3.42GB...???????

thank you in advance..!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro x64
Your google foo must be strong grasshopper! ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus CM5675
    CPU
    IntelCore i5 3.20Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus CM5675
    Memory
    6.0Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD integtrated
    Sound Card
    SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 24'
    Screen Resolution
    1900x1080
    Hard Drives
    Segate 1tb
    Intel 120Gb SSD
    Internet Speed
    100mb down /10mb up
well..can someone please explain....why..windows 8.1 iso downloaded from this trick is 3.07GB...and upgrade from windows store is 3.42GB...???????

thank you in advance..!!
Windows 8.1 (from TechNet or MSDN) has to update to very large patches, as from couple of days go. Windows 8 upgrade already has them

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.

thank you in advance..!!

The downloaded Upgrade is a ESD type file.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
hi, i m currently running win 8 pro on my hp laptop. Despite all up to dating my os, window 8.1 upgrade option is not coming on window store. I tried all those ways mentioned in ur post but all failed. Kindly suggest me any alternative or if any link is there to download 8.1 iso file. Help would be much awaited

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8 pro
Back