How to Correctly Install Windows 8.1 Preview

The official documentation that reached the web recently reveal that Windows 8 users should basically make the switch to Windows 8.1 Preview via the Windows Store, as this is the safest, easiest, and fastest way to do it.

Separate ISOs will also be offered for those who wish to set up a dual-boot configuration and install Windows 8.1 Preview on a different partition. Here’s what Microsoft says about it.

How to Correctly Install Windows 8.1 Preview

See also: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27188-windows-8-1-preview-download-install.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have external USB hard disk with running Win8 Preview. When Win8 released, I install it to main hard disk. Now I want to try Win8.1 from that USB hard disk instead of main disk.

I boot from USB want to upgrade via apps store. Ops it's not supported anymore. I install KB2849636 but still I cannot update from apps store.

I download iso and boot from DVD, but setup refuse to install to USB disc.

I don't remember I have issue when upgrade from Win7 running from USB disc to Win8 Preview.

Any idea of work around?

Cheers,
Nugroho

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    EliteBook 8560p
So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.

I gave up because microsoft left english (uk) off the support

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    acer ax3950
    CPU
    i3 530
    Memory
    4 gig ddr 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    dont need one as i go on onlive cloud gaming
    Sound Card
    none
    Monitor(s) Displays
    i-inc 19 inch wide
    Hard Drives
    640 gig
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    logitec s540
    Mouse
    motor mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 meg virgin media uk
Hi,

I have external USB hard disk with running Win8 Preview. When Win8 released, I install it to main hard disk. Now I want to try Win8.1 from that USB hard disk instead of main disk.

I boot from USB want to upgrade via apps store. Ops it's not supported anymore. I install KB2849636 but still I cannot update from apps store.

I download iso and boot from DVD, but setup refuse to install to USB disc.

I don't remember I have issue when upgrade from Win7 running from USB disc to Win8 Preview.

Any idea of work around?

Cheers,
Nugroho

Only Windows 8 Enterprise will install to an external USB drive. It's called Windows To GO. I do believe the Windows store is disabled in a Windows To GO install.

EDIT: Seeing as this is only a Beta release you can likely try this. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk.html?filter[2]
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/14119-windows-go-store-access-enable-disable.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I always test Preview or beta on USB. When I upgrade to Win8 Preview, the installer didn't check if it running from USB.
Now iso installer doesn't allow it, while AppStore in Win8 Preview has expired since Win8 release.
Is it possible to download update without AppStore.

I don't have Win8 Enterprise, and don't want to run Win To Go.

Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    EliteBook 8560p
So, I gave up. Cancelled. That thing never moved again and never showed the progress anymore.

Bravo Microsoft. The habit of making shoddy stuff seems to be strong as always. The company's motto. We make junk, you buy it.

Apart from the pride thing, is US English so different by written?

Sometimes I've used theoretically "latinoamerican spanish" translations of some programs and there is zero differences. I wonder why some people bother in doing a local translation when, if properly written, it is and must be exactly the same language with very few different words.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Sometimes I've used theoretically "latinoamerican spanish" translations of some programs and there is zero differences. I wonder why some people bother in doing a local translation when, if properly written, it is and must be exactly the same language with very few different words.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Is it about national pride? "I'm British, I'm speaking only UK English. I'm French, I'm speaking only French..."

If you're speaking English, be happy. If you speak only Finnish, you can't even use the 8.1 Preview.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Is it about national pride? "I'm British, I'm speaking only UK English. I'm French, I'm speaking only French..."

If you're speaking English, be happy. If you speak only Finnish, you can't even use the 8.1 Preview.

Lol. It reminded me of this scene from Love Actually.

[video=youtube;WITlM2pY_a4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITlM2pY_a4[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I always test Preview or beta on USB. When I upgrade to Win8 Preview, the installer didn't check if it running from USB.
Now iso installer doesn't allow it, while AppStore in Win8 Preview has expired since Win8 release.
Is it possible to download update without AppStore.

I don't have Win8 Enterprise, and don't want to run Win To Go.

Cheers

Other than Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows won't let you install it to an external drive. The only way to do it is with some trickery. As far as I know its app store or ISO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
After initial issues with Asus USB drivers which I have seen on the Microsoft forums a few people have had my install has gone well. I am liking IE 11 so far. Only a few issues with flash videos playing I have noticed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX SLI 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U3014 Black 30"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1600
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB SATA6Gb/s,1TB 7200RPM (32MB Cache), 1TB External WD Mybook 1140, Seagate Freeagent GOFlex 1TB, Samsung SSD 840 Pro
    Case
    Cooler Master 942 HAF X
    Cooling
    Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G 502 Proteus Core
No problem with USB 2 or 3 on my ASUS K75DE, must be a chip-set issue. I've been meaning to sign up on the Microsoft forums but just haven't gotten a round to it yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
If this has been answered already here in this thread then forgive me for skimming through the posts (and therefore missing it).

Here's my situation:

Windows 7 is installed on my hard drive. I don't intend to mess with that.
I installed Windows 8 Enterprise to a VHD and I dual-boot that with my Windows 7 installation.

Windows 8.1 will not let me update the VHD installation. So am I stuck installing it on a new VHD, or can I mount the Windows 8 VHD in Windows 7 and run setup from the Windows 8.1 ISO to update it from there?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
If this has been answered already here in this thread then forgive me for skimming through the posts (and therefore missing it).

Here's my situation:

Windows 7 is installed on my hard drive. I don't intend to mess with that.

I installed Windows 8 Enterprise to a VHD and I dual-boot that with my Windows 7 installation.

Windows 8.1 will not let me update the VHD installation. So am I stuck installing it on a new VHD, or can I mount the Windows 8 VHD in Windows 7 and run setup from the Windows 8.1 ISO to update it from there?
Sorry. . .What is a VHD? Am I right to assume that is another term for VM as in Virtual Hard Drive. I ask because I have never heard or seen it put this way. . .Thank You.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
VHD = Virtual Hard Disk (or Drive)

Hyoer-V uses this format, I believe. Windows 7 and Windows 8 allow you to create a virtual disk on your existing file system and attach it as another drive to your system. Then you can install another OS onto that drive and boot from it. That's how I run Windows 8 in a dual-boot setup with Windows 7.

When I boot into Windows 8 using the VHD I am not allowed to update it to Windows 8.1 so I am guessing that I will need to go back to my Windows 7 install, attach the VHD (which results in it being assigned a separate drive letter), and then run the update from Windows 7, telling it to install to the attached drive.

For example, if my Windows 8 installation is on C:\Win8\Windows8.vhd and I attach that as drive Q: on my Windows 7 system, I'm hoping I can then run setup from the Windows 8.1 media and tell it to update the Windows installation on Q:. I'm just not sure that can be done, or if anyone has tried it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
VHD = Virtual Hard Disk (or Drive)

Hyoer-V uses this format, I believe. Windows 7 and Windows 8 allow you to create a virtual disk on your existing file system and attach it as another drive to your system. Then you can install another OS onto that drive and boot from it. That's how I run Windows 8 in a dual-boot setup with Windows 7.

When I boot into Windows 8 using the VHD I am not allowed to update it to Windows 8.1 so I am guessing that I will need to go back to my Windows 7 install, attach the VHD (which results in it being assigned a separate drive letter), and then run the update from Windows 7, telling it to install to the attached drive.

For example, if my Windows 8 installation is on C:\Win8\Windows8.vhd and I attach that as drive Q: on my Windows 7 system, I'm hoping I can then run setup from the Windows 8.1 media and tell it to update the Windows installation on Q:. I'm just not sure that can be done, or if anyone has tried it.
Thank you. Will have to pull some more info from Google to see if I can do this (brain only works one day a month). At present am running 8.1 in a VM within a SSD, thus works quit fast, so would the VHD setup within the SSD be any faster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
I run two different Windows 8 installations:

- One is a dual-boot VHD with Windows 7 as I described. That's the one I haven't yet been able to upgrade to 8.1
- The other is a VMware Workstation VM running from an external USB 3.0 drive. I created a new VM for 8.1 just to experience a clean installation.

The VHD installation is quicker but the VM isn't half bad. Of course part of that is the VM overhead and part may be attributable to the fact that the VM has 2 GB of memory while the VHD installation uses all the system memory (8 GB) and native hardware.

The advantages of the VM: I can still run my favorite Windows 7 apps concurrent with the Windows 8 VM. If needed, I can freely copy files from Windows 7 to the VM (or vice-versa). There are no permissions issues. I can also run other systems like a server OS or a Linux VM while the Windows 8 VM is running. There's also a great deal more flexibility with the configuration of a VM.

Booting to the VHD requires a reboot of the system, and while my Windows 7 drive is still available, most if it isn't accessible to me since I use a Microsoft account to logon to Windows 8. I'm not going to mess with the Windows 7 file and folder permissions. Anything I have installed on Windows 7 would have to be reinstalled on Windows 8 if I want to use it there. (Most of the time I don't do that.) If I want to go back to Windows 7 it's another reboot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
I run two different Windows 8 installations:

- One is a dual-boot VHD with Windows 7 as I described. That's the one I haven't yet been able to upgrade to 8.1
- The other is a VMware Workstation VM running from an external USB 3.0 drive. I created a new VM for 8.1 just to experience a clean installation.

The VHD installation is quicker but the VM isn't half bad. Of course part of that is the VM overhead and part may be attributable to the fact that the VM has 2 GB of memory while the VHD installation uses all the system memory (8 GB) and native hardware.

The advantages of the VM: I can still run my favorite Windows 7 apps concurrent with the Windows 8 VM. If needed, I can freely copy files from Windows 7 to the VM (or vice-versa). There are no permissions issues. I can also run other systems like a server OS or a Linux VM while the Windows 8 VM is running. There's also a great deal more flexibility with the configuration of a VM.

Booting to the VHD requires a reboot of the system, and while my Windows 7 drive is still available, most if it isn't accessible to me since I use a Microsoft account to logon to Windows 8. I'm not going to mess with the Windows 7 file and folder permissions. Anything I have installed on Windows 7 would have to be reinstalled on Windows 8 if I want to use it there. (Most of the time I don't do that.) If I want to go back to Windows 7 it's another reboot.
No need to worry about memory (32 gigs) when setting up a VM in VMWare Workstation (give each VM (except XP) at least 8 gigs)). Will look into do the VHD this weekend (got the reality people coming buy tomorrow and Wed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
I bought a windows 8 system builder oem disk from a computer store when 8 came out a year ago, I got just 8 and not Pro since I felt I did not need it. So put in on a computer with a clean hard drive. So I do not have Pro, computer shows 6.2.9200 build 9200 Windows 8 64bit. I download the preview 8.1 iso 32bit and installed it on another computer just for testing. It shows 6.3.9431 build 9431 windows 8 Pro. In other words the only preview I see is for Pro, I have just windows 8 no pro. This is no problem for now but my question is when the final 8.1 comes out will there be a version for Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro? Am I missing something? Lynn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
This is no problem for now but my question is when the final 8.1 comes out will there be a version for Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro? Am I missing something? Lynn
hello,it will not be an issue ,only difference is one for 32bit and one for 64bit ,happy computing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Caperjack, but I am right in saying there is a difference in Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro? And you are saying the 8.1 will work on either as long as you have the right 32 or 64 bit?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Caperjack, but I am right in saying there is a difference in Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro? And you are saying the 8.1 will work on either as long as you have the right 32 or 64 bit?

its my understanding of how it works,only difference is the 32&64 bits in the 2 downloads offered , yes it will work,having said that ,i have only done a full install so far of 8.1 64 bit ,not a upgrade ,i will not be doing a upgrade any time soon ,don't want to take the chance of frigging up my main computer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p