How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late

This is a tough challenge, given that Windows 8 is only a few months away from release. There's not a lot that Microsoft can do in this time. However, given that the Redmond giant has already gone on the record to say that the UI that we see in the Windows 8 Release Preview is not what will be in the final release, it's safe to say that things are in a certain state of flux.

As I've said on numerous occasions, the biggest problem with Windows 8 is the way that the dumbed-down Metro UI has been unceremoniously bolted onto the mature and well-refined "Classic" user interface. While there's no doubt that the existing UI is flawed, bolting on a UI designed for touch devices is not the answer.

OK, you asked me to keep this concise, so here it is. Here's how I think Microsoft should tweak Windows 8 before it's released:

Read more at:
How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late | ZDNet

vrosa said:
except for the absence of the start menu and the inability to boot directly to desktop mode.

Not TRUE. Simple matter actually of sticking the desktop tile into the "startup" folder, and BINGO!! Desktop is what loads after you login. :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
OK. How long will it be possible to BUY new installation packs for Windows 7? I suspect that will terminate at the originally planned 2014 date or shortly thereafter. After that, no new hardware can run Windows 7 without a very time consuming call home to ask "mother may I?".
Yes, I agree with you. Thats a problem that microsoft will need to answer. That would totally depend on how Windows 8 shapes out. If Windows 8 is a success, the problem just doesn't arise.
It is a monumental mistake not to have a switchable classic vs Metro experience in Windows 8. Fighting Metro when all you need is a clean desktop experience offers no value and adds cost. It is a monumental mistake not to have a switchable classic vs Metro experience in Windows 8.
Windows 8 hasn't yet been released. Microsoft might include that option of booting directly into desktop in the final Windows 8. Yes, Microsoft on their part should give users that flexibility.
But as for me, I like metro much more than the start menu. I would certainly prefer metro. But another user may not like metro and he should be given the option of booting into desktop mode directly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Mike,

Sometimes best is most popular and sometimes not. It all depends upon your purpose. However, being popular tends to make things cheaper with mass production and all. If it is cheap enough then it can overcome a lot of defects. See PC hardware vs Apple hardware for example. Even there, Apple has joined the X86 circus rather than stay with the power pc. Why? Price/performance.

Consider the now obsolete VCR format battle. Beta was better for some purposes but the perceived value of long record times overcome the marginal visual defects of the format that won the popularity battle. With digital video, it is a battle of compression methods and resolutions rather than recording formats. 1080P is rather good. 4Kp is much much better but far too expensive right now. 16Kp likely would be mind blowing and outrageously costly. Most people will live with what they can afford so 1080P is about as good as video needs to be until the price of higher resolutions drop substantially. Ultimately it is price/performance/purpose that sets what makes sense. Popularity follows close behind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Actually Lionell ALL those NEW TV formats (for now) will be obsolete! 3DTV is already in production, and will be delivered by the end of March 2015 when television formats changes to 3D. (Can you say I have a horrible headache from WATCHING TV?) <g>
*Note: As a matter of fact you can already purchase a 3DTV, BUT I would say wait till it is actually rolled out worldwide. The stations/channels.*

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
For those of you hell bent on keeping your start button and booting to desktop in Win8 you can just install Start8. A free program.
Here's more info on it. http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-boot-desktop-start8-143772

Pretty good but there are other alternatives also. (Welcome to Classic Shell and power8 - Yet another Start menu replacer for Windows 8 - Google Project Hosting work on the same issue)

Stardock wants my email JUST to send me a download link.
What's up with a download link on the site? It's difficult to implement I guess.

I'll stick with Metro for now because it works (even if miss a start menu) :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
For those of you hell bent on keeping your start button and booting to desktop in Win8 you can just install Start8. A free program.
Here's more info on it. http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-boot-desktop-start8-143772

Pretty good but there are other alternatives also. (Welcome to Classic Shell and power8 - Yet another Start menu replacer for Windows 8 - Google Project Hosting work on the same issue)

Stardock wants my email JUST to send me a download link.
What's up with a download link on the site? It's difficult to implement I guess.

I'll stick with Metro for now because it works (even if miss a start menu) :D

It's alright... I got Start8 also (per mail).

I saw it some time ago but wasn't curious about the features.
Thanks Soundtweaker for reminding me the site.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
With Win 8 going RTM next month, it's a case of, "what you see now, is what you get".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
    Dell Inspiron 570
    CPU
    AMD x2
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD 5670
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500GB
    PSU
    Corsair 600W
    Case
    Dell
    Keyboard
    Logitech K300
    Mouse
    Logitech G400 Gaming
Well. Better start over with much calmer climate.

After watching, reading, and thinking about how people react to all three released preview. I simply come to a thought that MS successfully invoked people reaction to the new offered concept. The reaction to the metro UI design might have outnumbered any other positive aspects of W8 in general (totally my own opinion). I believe MS aware of all given opinion posted here and there.
My best hope (guess) is that the final release will come out with something called as surprise. But, if it doesn't, I will still be able to say welcome to any third party start menu. ;)

Kevin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
I'm no fan of Metro - to me it's the biggest obstacle to Windows 8. I am getting used to it (as if I have much choice if I continue to use Windows 8) but I think I'll hold on to my Windows 7. I'm usually one who likes running the latest and greatest but this one's going to be the exception.

If you like Metro and you think it's cool, that's fine. If you're like me and you don't, welcome to a pretty big club. Differences in opinion or perspective do not mean we can't behave like adults.

FWIW, I might be in the minority but I liked Vista and I even told a friend that he should not be in any hurry to upgrade his Vista PC to Windows 7 as long as Vista works well for him.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Terry? Tell your pal to save his money, and not to bother to try to upgrade his MSO. The next version of MSO, Microsoft Office 2013 won't do Vista.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hi Terry,

I agree with you.

I'm no fan of Metro - to me it's the biggest obstacle to Windows 8. I am getting used to it (as if I have much choice if I continue to use Windows 8) but I think I'll hold on to my Windows 7. I'm usually one who likes running the latest and greatest but this one's going to be the exception.

If you like Metro and you think it's cool, that's fine. If you're like me and you don't, welcome to a pretty big club. Differences in opinion or perspective do not mean we can't behave like adults.

FWIW, I might be in the minority but I liked Vista and I even told a friend that he should not be in any hurry to upgrade his Vista PC to Windows 7 as long as Vista works well for him.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Mike,

I'm not sure he runs Microsoft Office - if he does, it's probably 2007 anyway. Heck, I just got on the MSO 2010 bandwagon a couple months ago. I'm still poking around at times trying to find things, but I do like some of the changes in Outlook. I'd like to see more color schemes than black, blue, or silver - maybe in the final version of 2013? (I have just started looking at that.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Now that I tested Start8 from Stardock, I can say it works very well compared with Power8 and Classic Shell.

Start8 keeps the Metro start screen (is nondestructive to the native ui) and adds some extra options.
A usb stick can be safetly removed as the program doesn't interact with it.

All 3 programs mentioned here do a very good job and are 64bit processes on a 64bit Win8 version.

Since I adapted to the new start screen but still want to boot to the Desktop, I now use Start8 because it got the fastest reaction time, for now, compared with the other two programs (goes pretty fast to the Desktop and back and forth in the menu).

That's all for this quick test.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I do call traditional desktop in more-primitive way by putting explorer shortcut into startup folder in program menu. It does take me there but need almost 10 second after metro.

Kevin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
I do call traditional desktop in more-primitive way by putting explorer shortcut into startup folder in program menu. It does take me there but need almost 10 second after metro.

Kevin

Well Kevin,

Start8 gets you there in about 1 or 2 seconds (this is i5 laptop here).

Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Really? That is more than I need. I will give myself try. Will replace classic shell with it. Downloading it now (2.2mb)

Kevin

edit:
I did install it. Goes to desktop pretty instantly. But for the start menu style I feel like using classic shell more as it seem concise just like classic menu with smaller icons. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
No problem. Now you know the speed difference. :cool:

But more features (like classic shell) are also important. Use what suits you best.
I also find classic shell pretty good and has many menu interfaces to choose from but for now getting faster to Desktop is what I need. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Ha ha Right.
At least options are available out there. We can just pick up which one we need/prefer, and can jump to another for new look. Thanks to people who creatively doing their work. ;)

Kevin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
One thing is certain, every possible opinion on every possible aspect of the Win8 debate has been expressed, in every possible way.

Isn't it time to put away the duelling swords and simply wait till the RTM hits the market? And let the sales barometer do the talking?

For those who don't like/want it, surely the best possible strategy is do as Crawfish suggests:

crawfish said:
So you're going to spend $40 on something you don't believe in and think is terrible and won't use in hopes of it all getting better in the future and saving maybe a similar tiny amount. The only way to vote your disapproval that counts is NOT TO BUY THE THING, yet you're planning to give Microsoft your money anyway, which will only validate their direction and encourage them, making it less likely for your gamble to pay off. I don't get it.
I personally prefer the legacy Win7 Orb and Start Menu and a direct boot to desktop, and have it inbuilt without the need to use third party software. In terms of this thread, the most meaningful statement for me was from the ZDNet blog by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes referred to by Brink in the initial post:

However, given that the Redmond giant has already gone on the record to say that the UI that we see in the Windows 8 Release Preview is not what will be in the final release, it's safe to say that things are in a certain state of flux.
What's the point of everyone getting their feathers all ruffled up until we know what the final reality is?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back