Solved How do you close XBox Video application?

mkelley

I really feel like an idiot (but my wife came over and made me feel better -- we're a couple of idiots).

I doubleclicked on an MP4 to play it (from Explorer) and this XBox Video thing came up and played it. Fine, looks like a nice player. But when I stopped it wanted to exit the application -- can't find a way.

Oh, I can switch to ANOTHER application, but how the heck do I close this thing down? Yeah, I could bring up Task Manager and kill it there (I suppose -- haven't even seen if there is still Task Manager, although I assume they would not have gotten rid of that) but there MUST be a simple way to close out an app, right?

(If not I'm going to remove that app and make sure I never accidentally bring it up again).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Alt-F4 still works, as it always has to close apps. You can also move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen until it turns into a hand, then click and drag the windows down to the bottom of the screen and it will disappear.

Additional methods include moving the mouse pointer the top left corner, until the list of running apps shows up, then right clicking on the one you want to close and choose close. And of course task manager, which is much improved in Windows 8. If you have a touch interface, you can also use a swipe.

You may want to consider getting the free e-book.

Dell | Windows 8 for Dummies E-book

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Great! Thanks!

Moving the app to the bottom feels "right" -- like with my iPad (where I swipe up to reveal running apps that I can close).

I'll get the book, as I'm pretty obvious the target audience <g>.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Great! Thanks!

Moving the app to the bottom feels "right" -- like with my iPad (where I swipe up to reveal running apps that I can close).

I'll get the book, as I'm pretty obvious the target audience <g>.

Even easier "gesture" would be moving your mouse to the top left and right click on the app tile you want to close. You'll notice popup menu and the quit/close option.

Of course the easiest way to close the app is still Alt+F4 as Mystere mentioned earlier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 Pro
That top left thing doesn't seem to work well for me -- it doesn't always appear (but perhaps that's because I'm mostly in desktop mode and so far at least only have one metro app running). But I'll keep it in mind.

I'm not at all fond of Alt-F4, as my function keys are very small and hard to press correctly (so I tend to stay away from anything that needs them).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Back