Solved How do I restore recovery partition for 'Reset PC to work?

I have a 29gb emmc sir, i already havr a copy from my external microsd. I tried creating a recovery drive but it also says, there's something wrong in resetting..., unless you teach me how to create a working recovery drive, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks sir KHYI, what i havr is a spare 8gb usb drive, the other drive contains your pe,, will be waiting for your reply. Thabks in advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
I hope you Can teach me soon on how will i get to factory reset totally my tablet like it was when yhe first day it first booted. Thanks sir KHYI

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
what is your over all intention ? To upgrade to windows 10 ?
I would prefer you setup your tablet - without Winboot (5 Partitions)...

since you have figured out how to use diskpart to repartition the disk
we will then use DISM to apply the factory images to the C partition
then after we apply both the install.wim and the custom.wim to the C partition
we will then again use dism to re-capture C into a new factory install.wim to R partition..

Windows 10 only uses 4 partitions , because it does not use the R partition that windows eight uses....

It seems useless trying to recreate a windows 8.1 recovery - when you are going to upgrade to windows 10 anyway...

Also my dad is in the hospital with terminal cancer - so I have limited time - to when I respond,,,

there are many steps involved in the process and long to explain - but you are more advanced then other may be..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=54249CF406B03EB5!2034&authkey=!AMvQMHVZBrmJQak&ithint=file,zip

Recovery USB template - the link above... format USB Fat32

Find the WinRE.wim that is on your SDCard that has the same DATE as the Install.wim >
Copy that winre.wim to the sources folder of the template and then rename from winre.wim to boot.wim
Copy the install.wim from the SDCard to the template usb sources folder
Copy the custom.wim from the SDCard to the template usb sources folder

that will allow that USB to recovery your PC without winboot,

BUT before we can do that we have to figure out the proper size to make the recovery partition..

So what size is the install.wim and what size is the custom.wim ????? ( in GB or MB )

BUT still do not do anything to your PC at this time................

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
As far as the diskpart is concerned, recovery drive is 8192, both .wim files have 3gb+, as for the winre.wim, i think its180mb. So after doing all the steps above, what's next?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
My intention is to get a flawless recovery drive, using either asus backtracker or recovery drive. I just wonder why the asus backtracker reports that recovery partition doesn't exist, while create rcovery media detects and creates a reco drive that still doesn't reset my pc.Thanks for that, actually, im a cpa and my interest with compiters are that high, it's my first time to delve in the tablet form factor,,,,and im sorry for your dad, keep praying sir, ill pray for him too. Get in touch when you have time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
Update, sir, my Winre.wim file was created 2013, while both my Install and custom wim files were created this year. what shall I do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
Sir, there was something that happened, i retried once more the recovery drive i crated in windows 8.1, not the format, i ask to keep existing partitions and i selected no since i thought it will recreate a new working recovery drive, in tge middle of the process, it failed, booted in your pe and the recovery partition was gone, all of them were gone, thankfully i have copied it's contents, but now, i think i got too far, help me soon as you have time. Thanks in advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
edit (#4 windows partition) of the template USB Sources/PBR-diskpart.txt so that the shrink is 8192

Then boot from the template USB and reset your PC

once your PC resets DO NOT go through any of the process of accepting the MS Agreement or adding pc / user name
because we will now reboot into My boot disk to apply the custom.wim also to C:

Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"USB:\Sources\Custom.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\
USB\sources being location of the custom.wim

then Use command prompt
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 5
assign letter=R
exit

go into R:\RecoveryImage and delete the current install.wim

then we'll recapture the directory with the custom.wim applied

Dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:R:\RecoveryImage\Install.wim /Name:"Windows 8.1 Bing OEM" /CheckIntegrity

Reboot the PC - go through the User Setup
go into control panel - recovery - create a recovery drive....

and now you should have a NEW factory recovery on that usb - without wimboot..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Can i still have the wimboot feature sir since it will be beneficial for the limited storage of my tablet? Are there any alternatives?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
I have tested WimBoot and Non-Wimboot on my Dell 32GB tablet
the size difference is not all that much...

BUT, on a non-wimboot tablet - once you create the recovery drive (save it to a safe place) you can gain the HDD space used by Recovery Image Partition, by choosing the option to delete the recovery partition after creating the recovery drive..

Windows 10 does not support WimBoot - so better off not having it,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
yes.. yes..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
If you have created the Template USB
copied the Boot.wim (winRE.wim)
copied the install.wim
copied the custom.wim

to the Template USB as stated above

the just Delete the PBR * files in the tempaltes Sources folder and replace with these...

Attachments

• Diskpart_Script.zip
    849 bytes · Views: 105

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
don't confuse your self or me..

we are now talking WimBoot recovery..

just checked - Yes, but it will now be #3 of the New Diskpart_Script

shrink 8192

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Ok sir, ill do this tonight, will update you the soonest on which will work on my device. Thanks for being patient with me sir khyi!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
Followed all your instructions sir, but still the usb reports that there's a problem resetting the pc, refresh even reports that also. What seems to be the problem sir? Is the file dating important, ive replied you before that my winre.wim file is not dated the same as the two *.wim files..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
Back