Solved home network problem seeing drive by other computers

alpinekid61

Would like to find out why I cannot see a hard drive on another computer on my home network.
Here is the background. I took and put a SSD as C: drive on a HP Pavilion and put that HD (ST750LM022 HN-M7) into the CD drive bay which makes the HD drive D:. Did the share of that drive, right click on D:, Share with>Advance sharing> Advance Sharing>Permissions>Everyone.
In the box Permissions for Everyone, checked all boxes.
Went to my main desktop (Gigabyte) & opened Windows Explorer. Can see 4 computers that are on, Gigabyte, Basement, Lenovo and the Pavilion. Click on Pavilion and I see D: & Users. Click on D: and get Network Error box, Windows cannot access \\Pavilion-pc\d You do not have permissions to access \\Pavilion-pc\d. Contact your network administrator to request access. I am network administrator but do not know how to fix this.
Another thing I did was go to “Basement” computer & opened Windows Explorer. Clicked on Pavilion and it shows D:. Click on D: and I can see what is on that drive. Can open any file like a Word doc.
Gigabyte is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Lenovo is running Windows 7 Home. When I open Windows Explorer I see the 4 computers. Click on Pavilion and get the same as the Gigabyte. Cannot see what is on D:.
Basement is running Windows 8.1
Pavilion is running Windows 8.1
I bet this is going to be something that I have overlooked and will be an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing.
Thank you for the help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
    Motherboard
    MCP73M01H1 (Napa) by Foxconn
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
What Firewall/Internet Security software are you running?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
The Firewall/Internet Security software that is being used is:
Gigabyte - ZoneAlarm
Basement - Charter Security Suite
Lenovo - WebRoot Secure Anywhere v8.0.8.76
Pavilion - ZoneAlarm
The Windows 7 machines are having trouble seeing drive D: on the Pavilion running Windows 8.1.
Am I wrong in thinking that Windows 7 is the problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
That is your problem. You can just use Windows Defender and turn off Windows firewall.

In your case, you have non-compatible security suites, that do not work together.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

Did a Chat with ZoneAlarm & they had me change some settings. Rebooted and when computers where up & running, tried again.
No dice.
ZoneAlarm suggested turning off the firewall on both ZoneAlarm computers, which are the Gigabyte & Pavilion from story above, and started up Windows Explorer on Gigabyte. And guess what? Gigabyte still cannot read D: on the Pavilion.
The question still stands, what is wrong with Windows 7 that it cannot see this drive??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
Forget what Zonealarm told you. Remove all of that garbage third party software, and just use the built in Windows Defender, turn off Windows Firewall.

The problem is that you are trying to use incompatible security software on all machines.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Forget what Zonealarm told you. Remove all of that garbage third party software, and just use the built in Windows Defender, turn off Windows Firewall.

The problem is that you are trying to use incompatible security software on all machines.

Ok, I took ZoneAlarm off both the Gigabyte and Pavilion.
Pavilion is running Windows 8.1 and had Defender on it when I had the SSD installed, and was told this when I tried to install mseinstall.exe. Turned off Windows Firewall by going to Control Panel, Windows Firewall & turned it off in Private networks.
Gigabyte is running Windows 7 PRO 64-bit. Installed mseinstall.exe, did update & scanned.
I started up the Lenovo (Windows 7 Home) & tried to see HD D: on Pavilion and no dice, get You do not have permissions to access \\Pavilion-pc\d. Contact your network administrator to request access.
Basement (Windows 8.1) can see Pavilion (Windows 8.1) and can read what is on D:.
Started up Windows Explorer on Gigabyte and clicked on Pavilion and can see D:, Documents, Onedrive & Users. Click on D: and get You do not have permissions to access \\Pavilion-pc\d. Contact your network administrator to request access. Click on Documents & get the same thing.
I did what you told me to do but Gigabyte still cannot read what is on Pavilion D:.

Would like another idea to get this to work. What if anything am I doing wrong??
I am seeing that Windows 7 (both Pro & Home) do not like to talk to Windows 8.1 for some reason.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
Got the problem solved.
I had to go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center on the Pavilion and add "Everyone" to the list. Had to do that to Drive D: and to Documents.
Now I can Read, Write to D: on the Pavilion​.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100

This problem had nothing to do with the Security Software. Now I am going to put ZoneAlarm back on the Gigabyte and Pavilion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP a6603w Pavilion
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7100
Again your problem is due to that you are using various security software, that are not compatible with each other. If the machines are never going to leave your network, the Router provides enough protection for your network.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Back