Here's why Windows 8 will never approach Vista's awfulnes

Let's start out with the most basic reason Windows 8 isn't as bad as Vista: Windows 8 will likely gain a greater market share than Vista ever did. According to Net Applications figures, Vista's greatest market share for a year was only 17.73%, in 2009. Windows 7 very quickly eclipsed Vista after it was released.

All this doesn't mean that I've suddenly become a fan of Windows 8. I still think it was a mistake to build a single operating system for tablets and traditional computers. And saying that it's better than Vista isn't much more than damning it with faint praise. Ultimately I expect that the next major version of Windows may well fix many of Windows 8's problems, the same way that Windows 7 did for Vista.

Here's why Windows 8 will never approach Vista's awfulness | Computerworld Blogs

Well I did like the gagdets but it was slow and uac was crap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    pro Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15R
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Vista had a bad rap. I used it from the start, taught my students on it, installed in on all of our computers in both of my departments and never had any issues with it. Yes, it took a lot more resources than XP did but as long as you put it on good hardware, it was a lot better than XP. When windows 7 came out, I made sure that our department moved up (with the exception on my own class; we used windows 2008R2) and no one had any issues. What everyone is complaining about with windows 8 isn't it's performance but the horrible UI

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
What everyone is complaining about with windows 8 isn't it's performance but the horrible UI

Horrible?

It has improved then , since I last looked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Vista had a bad rap. I used it from the start, taught my students on it, installed in on all of our computers in both of my departments and never had any issues with it. Yes, it took a lot more resources than XP did but as long as you put it on good hardware, it was a lot better than XP. When windows 7 came out, I made sure that our department moved up (with the exception on my own class; we used windows 2008R2) and no one had any issues. What everyone is complaining about with windows 8 isn't it's performance but the horrible UI

Ohhhh DOn't get me started, Vista Deserved the bad rap it got, cos it was basically a junk OS. It was the ME of the 2000's - Remember how long ME lasted?

Windows ME and Vist-Shi'ite: Both DOODOO OS's. I hate them I hate them I hate them.

I installed it, ran it for 2 days, DELETED THE CRAP out of it - I mean, I didnt just DELETE it, I wrote a 0101 pattern all through the drive, it took over 2 days. I wanted it to be GONE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Nobody could accuse you of not being passionate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
So you ran it for two days and are the expert while I ran it on 50 machines and know nothing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
I don't mind the UI I just installed some software for the desktop start button

Try Vi start

My Computer

System One

• OS
    pro Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 15R
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Windows 8 doesn't even come close to how bad Vista was for me. The complains about Win8 have to do with how you do things. The issues with Vista had to do with the ability to get anything done without freezing or crashing the system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
I didn't have any issues with Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If you had the right hardware and drivers, Vista worked great. Again, I installed it on over 50 workstations and never had any issues

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB

Pardon me, but the UI is anything but horrible.

I use the same device for my desktop environment at home, laptop environment at work, and tablet environment everywhere.

If you don't like metro, don't use it. Install classic shell and it will boot directly into the desktop environment for you. Don't tell me you shouldn't install 3rd party software for this and that. Most software running on your desktop are 3rd party software. What's one more?

I'm sorry, but I simply think your anger is misplaced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
If you had the right hardware and drivers, Vista worked great. Again, I installed it on over 50 workstations and never had any issues

When vista first came out, I was one of the first to upgrade to it. Can't say my experience was stellar. For one thing, I realized that what always worked great with xp that was the hardware in the desktop was not so great in vista. Vista was a resource hog. Once I got used to that, I started having problems with compatibilities with my peripherals. After trying it out for some time, I downgraded to xp in order to start using my peripherals again.

People were more prepared for windows 7. when it came out, there were drivers for everything. If anything, the launch of windows 8 went just as smoothly with driver support. MS learned from the vista launch.

I honestly don't understand all this debacle with windows 8 UI. Why don't you guys just go back to riding horses if you don't like change?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I really don't mind change and have always had the latest of OSs for decades. Window 8 was designed for touch systems and just doesn't work well for non touch but the worst thing is it is just broken without a start button for examples that I have already spent a lot of time on. The 'search' features don't always work on software that uses a shell such as Visual Studio SQL SSIS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
I really don't mind change and have always had the latest of OSs for decades. Window 8 was designed for touch systems and just doesn't work well for non touch but the worst thing is it is just broken without a start button for examples that I have already spent a lot of time on. The 'search' features don't always work on software that uses a shell such as Visual Studio SQL SSIS
Correction. Windows 8 is designed for both touch devices as well as desktop devices. Again, if you don't like using as a touch, just use the desktop environment. Install classic shell and you will never have to see metro ever again. And about the search features not working for shell, don't use it then. Just use it like you would with windows 7.

You're just looking for reasons to hate windows 8. There are those of us who are perfectly fine with the new UI.

Added by edit.

Windows 8 is exactly like windows 7 plus more options. If you hate the new options, don't use them. Install classic shell and use it exactly like windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
There it is again, Start button.

If you mean start menu - it is important to be clear.

MS may well do a button - it will just bring up the much loathed full size start screen.

Hard to tell what they are actually going to do.

From the interviews, it doesn't sound as if they will do much to the os to bring those who are not buying it to the fold.

Lower prices and monopoly power may be what they are hoping will do the job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Correction. Windows 8 is designed for both touch devices as well as desktop devices. Again, if you don't like using as a touch, just use the desktop environment. Install classic shell and you will never have to see metro ever again. And about the search features not working for shell, don't use it then. Just use it like you would with windows 7.

You're just looking for reasons to hate windows 8. There are those of us who are perfectly fine with the new UI.

Added by edit.

Windows 8 is exactly like windows 7 plus more options. If you hate the new options, don't use them. Install classic shell and use it exactly like windows 7.

Wow. I've been using Windows 8 for a couple of years as the default OS on this laptop and my last laptop. Yes, I put a start button on it that bypasses the start screen and goes to my desktop, skipping the two worst sections of Windows UI [you do know what that means don't you?]. My start menu has pages and pages of icons mixed in together with no form of organization which is just one of the mistakes that Microsoft used with their Modern UI and that has made it unusable unless I spend hours organizing it myself. Again, it is a complete mess because Microsoft built it that way. The search doesn't work due to the order that I install my software and the ONLY way that I can find software is by using the start button that I installed. Visual Studio is one huge and expensive Microsoft product that is unsearchable using both Windows 8 and Windows 2012.

I'm not looking for reason to hate windows 8. It has done a good enough with mistakes like this to make me hate it all by itself. But again, I've been running Windows 8 as my default OS on both this laptop and my last laptop as the only OS [installed Hyper-V and installed server based OSs inside].

Windows 8 is NOT like Windows 7 just with more options. You have to get rid of that horrible Modern UI to get to that point. Yes, once the end user fixes the mistakes of the UI by installing software that allows you to close the Modern UI apps [otherwise they just hide and you have to kill them off by using the task manager - horrible, horrible mistake], hide the Start Screen [useless apps - I can always have a better users experience by either going to the web site or using the desktop version] and put a start button back in, there are some great new things in Windows 8 but I had to go to a lot of work to make it usable.

Start screen. Ever since DOS 2, they have used a tree based file system to find and use apps so when you get people who will like windows 8 even if it killed their dog and called their mom bad names and try to tell you that it only started with Windows 95, it is much, much older than that. But Microsoft and in all of its wisdom said, "Lets just throw all icons to every exe on one screen and let people try to find the application they want" after an all night drinking session [GUID Generator right next to a text editor that I installed? I think that the GUID Generator came from either VS or Office but you couldn't tell that by where it is] . Unless I spend hours working with it and organizing it, there is no reason for me to ever look at it. A complete joke

Charms; I don't have a choice of using the touch version of Microsoft's biggest mistake to be able to shut down the OS unless I have my own start button put in. Ever try to shut down a Windows 2012 in RDP that isn't full screen by using the charms? There is a hidden place just a few pixels wide that you have to hunt for trying to get the charms to work. Full screen and its not a problem. How many servers do you use on a daily basis and out of those, how many times were you actually sitting in front of them working with a keyboard and mouse that were connected to those servers? Just doesn't happen. I have over 150 servers to deal with, quite often I have many open at the same time and rarely full screen so that I can get more on my own screen.

No, Microsoft has given me plenty of reasons to hate Windows 8/2012. The only way I can use it on a daily basis [mind you, I installed this on my own as I have since the first beta, no one forced me] without throwing it out the window is by using tools to fix Microsoft's horrible UI.

But once I fixed them UI mistakes, I think it is the best OS that has ever come out of Micrsoft

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
^ I guess I don't use w8 with the same purposes like you. I just haven't encountered any problem with it. I've just been overly impressed with how well it's worked for me. And it's compatible with all the old softwares that I use. That was the drawback with vista. All of the sudden, half of the stuff we use in the office stopped working. Us engineers are known for using grossly outdated technology. All the machines in the lab are still run by xp. As far as I know, they haven't updated the system for a good 10 years or so. For us, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Printer/Scanner drivers was a huge problem with Vista but that isn't actually Vista/Microsoft fault but the manufacture of the other hardware that was the problem. I just made sure that we had everything in place before upgrading all of my deparments computers first and also made sure that every computer I upgraded had the resources to run Vista. By the time Windows 7 came out, all of the remaining hardware had finally caught up.

I use Windows 8 for its virtual abilities [I have about 10 Hyper-V clients, my own domain with lots of servers that connect to that to test SQL Transactional Replication and AlwaysON stuff ], SQL Development with both SQL 2012 and 2008R2, to log into work via VPN/RDP [spend too much of my time doing that!], to play games on, to surf the web, get on facebook and just to have fun. Because my laptop is multipurpose, it has enough horsepower and resources to cover just about any task [i7 w/16 GB of ram and two hard drives on a 17 inch monitor]. I still haven't upgraded my desktop yet and my computer at work was downgraded from 8 to 7 [didn't want to mess with it too much but really wanted 8 on it just for Hyper-V, can't use VirtualBox and already use VM too much at work to want to mess with it on my local machine]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
So you ran it for two days and are the expert while I ran it on 50 machines and know nothing?

Hahahahaha! Actually I know quite a bit about it, I'm not limited to just having it on one machine. in 2006 I was deleting it from my customers systems -AT THEIR REQUEST. Each time I deleted it, I learned more and more stuff about it which gave my hatred of it a solid stamp of approval. We're talking maybe 75 machines, possibly 100 I have removed Vista from - So I'm a gorram EXPERT on it. Not to mention months of reading articles, posting, and testing what I read out on Vista systems.

See, this wasnt just my preference - ALL of my customers insisted on getting rid if it. When 7 finally came out.. well let me back up a little.

When a new OS comes out, I spend a few months learning it and spending time in forums like this. I knew all about XP and Vista was new - I spent two months checking it out and I decided, I CAN NOT install this for my clients. I MUST give them valid and solid OS's - SO I bought a hundred pack XP licences, I may have a few left. So in all of 2006, I spent that basically removing Vista AT USERS REQUEST.

When 7 came out - I installed it and IMEMDIATLY saw it was usable and even desirable. So I got a mess of 7 licenses- And when the people would call me to get Rid of Vista I was FINALLY abnle to offer them something newer and better than both XP and Vist-Shi'ite.

I dont care if you ran a FARM of VistCrap Stations- I KNOW it, as well as I know XP and 7. And I say it is a garbage OS.

Sure it was pretty and sure it had some good ideas - But 7 has all of it, and 8 has some of it. So I think we can finally bury Vistpoodoo for good, can't we? I mean if you really want the self torture of having to deal with the slowest OS since Dr Dos 1.0,go and rack your brain, I think most people were happy to move on to a new OS which is both fast AND cool to look at. On a Macbook Pro hahahaha!

But I'll give you this: The One and ONLY use for Windows Vista. As a stepping stone OS from upgrading XP to 7, you gotta upgrade to VistPoop, then install SP1, then you can upgrade to 7, and I use 7 with No SP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I honestly don't understand all this debacle with windows 8 UI. Why don't you guys just go back to riding horses if you don't like change?

I would not mind having a TABLET, something I could use Metro in, and see how it really is supposed to operate.

But I, we, use Desktops. I really have no NEED to have Metro on my Desktop. I don't want my Desktop OS to boot to Metro, I want my Apps, I want my shortcuts, my LINKS. The entire purpose of the Desktop PC is top supply us with a Desktop OS. If I had wanted an OS designed for a Tablet, I would have BOUGHT a tablet or an iPad.

Microsoft should have made an RT only OS and a Desktop Only RS and "never the twain shall meet" - MS could have given Desktop users the OPTION to have RT like they offered the Option to have Media Center.

Really, they Foisted this Metro on us, and included in that foist was REMOVAL of all NATIVE DVD Reading software. I mean really WHY remove DVD playing from Windows Media Player, so we'd be FORCED to buy Media Center for an extra 10 bucks?

No, I need a desktop that';s a desktop. I can only play Angry Birds Space and Star Wars so much during the day, those are the only two Metro apps I have found that are good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back