Solved Headphones disappear from playback devices for no reason.

Keybladeguy

Hey everybody, new forum member here. So here's the scoop. I use my headphones for a lot of stuff. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, and when I booted up and plugged in my headphones, nothing happened. The sound came from the speakers. I don't like that. So I open up my playback devices, and my headphones are mysteriously not there. I unplug them, and they appear again, listed as "Not plugged in". I plug them back in, and they disappear. Nothing works with them. The pair are Cirrus Logic High Definition Audio earbuds.
OS is 8.1

Any help you can give me? This is extremely frustrating.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Could be a bad port, however, it could be something as simple as the audio driver is not installed or configured to run headphones or the external ports.

Right click on start menu button
Click on device manager
Click on Sound, audio or game controllers, and check the audio device.

If it says High Definition Audio device, you will need to go to the dell website and download the drivers.

If it has like Realtek High Definition Audio, or some other audio controller,

Right click on start menu,
Click on Control Panel
Change from Category view to Large icons,
Find Realtek audio control panel, or whatever audio control panel you have.
Make sure that the external ports are properly configured.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Could be a bad port, however, it could be something as simple as the audio driver is not installed or configured to run headphones or the external ports.

Right click on start menu button
Click on device manager
Click on Sound, audio or game controllers, and check the audio device.

If it says High Definition Audio device, you will need to go to the dell website and download the drivers.

If it has like Realtek High Definition Audio, or some other audio controller,

Right click on start menu,
Click on Control Panel
Change from Category view to Large icons,
Find Realtek audio control panel, or whatever audio control panel you have.
Make sure that the external ports are properly configured.

Unfortunately, this wasn't any help. The device doesn't show up in Device Manager either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Could you post a screenshot of your device manager?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Could you post a screenshot of your device manager?

Here it is.

Untitled.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
The problem is, the audio device is not changing the audio port source automatically as it should. There should be a cirrus logic audio control panel within control panel in Windows. If you can find it, go in there and find your audio port settings to make sure that it's set to change ports.

If you can't find anything, I suggest you go to the Dell website, download the audio drivers from the website.

Uninstall your audio drivers by going to programs and features in control panel.

Install the new cirrus drivers and retest your headphones. If it doesn't work, then there is a possible hardware problem. Hard problem to diagnose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The problem is, the audio device is not changing the audio port source automatically as it should. There should be a cirrus logic audio control panel within control panel in Windows. If you can find it, go in there and find your audio port settings to make sure that it's set to change ports.

If you can't find anything, I suggest you go to the Dell website, download the audio drivers from the website.

Uninstall your audio drivers by going to programs and features in control panel.

Install the new cirrus drivers and retest your headphones. If it doesn't work, then there is a possible hardware problem. Hard problem to diagnose.

Where in control panel would I look for that? And where on dell's website for the new drivers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

It worked! I had to reinstall the drivers! Thank you my friend!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
You're welcome. Glad to help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop