HDMI No Audio Without Restarting

Zotar8

Hello. I have an ASUS X750JB laptop running Windows 8.1. When using a HDMI cable to connect to my television, the display works but there is no audio. The television doesn't show up in the playback devices.

Restarting my laptop with the television connected fixes the issue, but I have to do it every single time I plug the HDMI cable in which is a huge pain. I've tried to update the Intel(R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio drivers as well as uninstalling them and restarting the computer so that they reinstall. Zero changes.

I then found this blog post that suggests using devcon.exe to restart the audio and display drivers through command prompt. I did this and then the television showed up in the playback device list, but still no sound. I then tried changing the sampling rate in the properties under the advanced tab and it worked! Kind of! All of the sound that came through sounded odd, almost like it was sped up or the frequency had been shifted upwards. It was like this for all sampling rate except for two which had no sound at all. After restarting my computer I found that all rates worked just fine by the way.

So that's where I am now. Still restarting my computer every time. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS X750JB
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
    Memory
    DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    2x ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
If the television shows up in your devices, more than likely, there is no sound coming out from the TV due to the TV needs to be set as the default audio device.

The HDMI doesn't use the Realtek. It is separate as it uses the Intel driver for HDMI sound. My buddy has a TV he occasionally connects to his computer and uses HDMI. His card is a GT 620 NVIDIA. When I plug it in, there is no sound from the TV, but when I go into the playback devices, I right click on the TV, click set as default, and boom, it works every time he plugs it in.

Hope this helps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K PRO
    Memory
    2 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 630
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
If the television shows up in your devices, more than likely, there is no sound coming out from the TV due to the TV needs to be set as the default audio device.

Thanks for replying to this. :D

The problem is that the television doesn't show up in the list of playback devices and therefore can't be set as the default device. It only shows up after restarting the computer and is even automatically set as the default playback device when I do. It also shows up in the device list after restarting the drivers with devcon.exe, but like I said that results in the sound being messed up for some reason.

I figured that the Realtek had nothing to do with it. I was having an audio problem so I figured trying all the audio things might magically fix something.

Any other ideas? Any and all help is appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS X750JB
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
    Memory
    DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    2x ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
Damn.. I have the same problem that the HDMI connects picture but no audio.. Seems like the driver failed to start when configuring something..
Only temporary fixes that have worked so far:
1) Turn the TV on before you start your laptop..
2) Go to Device Manager and then Disable the "High definition audio device" which has a yellow triangle warning next to it and THEN enable it. (Driver restart) If it manages to start then your TV audio should show up in the playback devices :)
3) Restart of course..

Is there a way to put automatic restart for this driver when it fails to start??
audio.png

EDIT: Found out that HDMI audio jack is controlled by Intel(R) Display audio driver.. Somehow they are interferencing with High Definition Audio Controller.. because HDMI one won't start without high def audio controller already running..
audio3.png
Cheers,
Hokins

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer
    Memory
    Browser
    Chrome
At school, when using my Acer laptop to play a movie into the classroom's giant TV via HDMI, I had to connect external speakers into the laptop headphone jack. Never did figure out why my HDMI did not "do the audio".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
Back