HDD not Detected: Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Online

It would seem that your drive is toast. :(

Maybe, maybe not. It could just be the USB interface in the enclosure that failed. I don't think the OP has removed the drive from the enclosure yet. That would be my next move. A lot of those uitilities may actually work with the drive connected in a PC and removed from the enclosure.

I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
The model of the hard drive is WD Blue (EIDE) WD1600BEVE. "
so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.

I am sorry if I misunderstood your sentences. Did you mean the pins?

The pins are soldered intact with IDE to USB 2.0 circuit.

That circuit card should detach from the hard drive if you pull it. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that are plugged into the header on that circuit board.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.

Man, I have got to learn to read all the posts in the tread before replying. lol, I didn't see that post where the circuit card was still attached until after I made my other post. I think its going to be one of those days.

EDIT: It does look like a laptop IDE drive so he will need an adapter to connect it in a desktop PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I read this in earlier post "Yes I have pulled it out of the casing but it doesn't do anything better.
so I assumed it's connected directly to IDE port. To connect 2.4" HDD to desktop PC it would need an adapter from micro (laptop ) connector to full size IDE for Desktop PC.

Yes, I see that now, missed it before somehow, sorry. Yeah it sounds like the drive died.

I think so too :( what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.

Yes, I thought that the drive itself is independent of the adapter and housing itself, I have couple of them like that. HDD can actually be disconnected and placed in a laptop or suitable adapter to ordinary, full size IDE connector. LGH 2.5" HDD to 3.5" HDD Adapter with IDE Interface, Notebook HDD to Regular 40-Pin adapter or with this to USB Mini USB to ZIF/IDE 1.8" Adapter -- XRP International Co., Limited.

If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters. :(

EDIT: Refer to my next reply. What a slow realization I just had. LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Maybe, maybe not. It could just be the USB interface in the enclosure that failed. I don't think the OP has removed the drive from the enclosure yet. That would be my next move. A lot of those uitilities may actually work with the drive connected in a PC and removed from the enclosure.

I am sorry if I misunderstood your sentences. Did you mean the pins?

The pins are soldered intact with IDE to USB 2.0 circuit.

That circuit card should detach from the hard drive if you pull it. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that are plugged into the header on that circuit board.

OH WOW! I just felt like an idiot and slap myself! I kept on thinking the ports are THE pins so I didn't dare to pull it. After thinking it for a while... I was like: "Wait, it should be a set of PINS and I should be able to pull it out!".

Man, I have got to learn to read all the posts in the tread before replying. lol, I didn't see that post where the circuit card was still attached until after I made my other post. I think its going to be one of those days.

EDIT: It does look like a laptop IDE drive so he will need an adapter to connect it in a desktop PC.

Haha. I think we are so efficient in replying that we didn't notice there are new replies when we submitted ours. I really enjoy this discussion somehow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Yes, I see that now, missed it before somehow, sorry. Yeah it sounds like the drive died.

I think so too :( what a shame. I thought I could use it at least for some document files for my work to carry around.

If the problem lies there, it could have been better if the pins weren't soldered so I could easily remove it and try it with other functional converters. :(

Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

Just in case you missed my other post. That circuit card plugs into the drive and can be removed. The pins you see soldered into the card are for the header that is part of the card. That header connects to a mating header, or plug, on the hard drive. There is another set of pins on the hard drive that plug into the header on the circuit card. If hold the drive and you pull the circuit card away they will detach from each other.

Ahaha! Yes. I just realized it (what the heck, brain) and made a reply on top of yours :eek:
So the next move is to find a new EIDE to USB port and test it again, correct?

Not to disrespect CountMike's advice. Please excuse me as I am not good in this field.
Do EIDE port and IDE port the same? Are they like USB 2.0 (EIDE) vs USB 3.0 (IDE) kind of generations?

lol, it looks like everybody is finally getting in sync. I see that the OP figured it out and separated the hard drive from the adapter.

Anybody else noticing that the forum is slow today? I'm noticing delays when I'm posting.

Yes, finally we are in sync! :D
I can't really feel it, maybe because I sure take my time making replies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Yeah we might be all over the world and who knows where the server is. Anyway by the time I am writing this, just noticed another post coming from gmail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Ahaha! Yes. I just realized it (what the heck, brain) and made a reply on top of yours :eek:

Not to disrespect CountMike's advice. Please excuse me as I am not good in this field.
Do EIDE port and IDE port the same? Are they like USB 2.0 (EIDE) vs USB 3.0 (IDE) kind of generations?

The deal is the laptop drives, the 2.5 inch form factor drives, have a different IDE connector than desktop drives, the 3.5 inch form factor drives. One is not compatible with the other without an adapter. If it had been a SATA drive it wouldn't matter, laptop and desktop drives use identical SATA ports.
Your options are to try another enclosure that is compatible with that drive or get an adapter that converts it to the desktop IDE or SATA. The second option may be cheaper. You need to know if your desktop PC has an IDE bus.

Something like this may also be an option, Newegg.ca - Rosewill RCW-608 USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA Device (Include Protection case) I have one and have found it very useful. It may be overkill though if you think you will only ever use it once.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

E (Ehanced)IDE port is he full name and practically same thing as far as connectors are concerned. Don't want to make more confusion but it all falls under S.C.A.S.I standards. All IDE (EIDE) pins are compatible with 40 pins to each side but ATA 33 (UDMA 33) cables have 40 wires in the cable and ATA 66, 100, 133 and 150 (UDMA66 etc...) have 80 wires but still only 40 pins because every wire has a shielding for less interference at higher speeds.
Ugh, shouldn't have started this, it gets even more complicated from there.
Anyway if this HDD is really removed from that adapter, then to conect it again would requier one of those adapters I was talking about before because on 2.5" drives IDE (ATA) connectors are much smaller than on 3.5" drives. Those smaller ones are found in laptops and larger ones in the desktops but are electrically and logicaly compatible, in this case it's size that matters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

E (Ehanced)IDE port is he full name and practically same thing as far as connectors are concerned. Don't want to make more confusion but it all falls under S.C.A.S.I standards. All IDE (EIDE) pins are compatible with 40 pins to each side but ATA 33 (UDMA 33) cables have 40 wires in the cable and ATA 66, 100, 133 and 150 (UDMA66 etc...) have 80 wires but still only 40 pins because every wire has a shielding for less interference at higher speeds.
Ugh, shouldn't have started this, it gets even more complicated from there.
Anyway if this HDD is really removed from that adapter, then to conect it again would requier one of those adapters I was talking about before because on 2.5" drives IDE (ATA) connectors are much smaller than on 3.5" drives. Those smaller ones are found in laptops and larger ones in the desktops but are electrically and logicaly compatible, in this case it's size that matters.

The pin out is different, aside from being smaller. Power is fed in on the laptop IDE along with data. On the 3.5 inch drives the power connector is separate. Sorry if it sounds like I'm nit picking, I'm an electronic technician by trade so stuff like this interests me more than most.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I have two of these that haven't given me any issues, Newegg.ca - SABRENT SBT-ESU25 Aluminum 2.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure I put a couple of old IDE laptop drives in them. I have my Windows To Go install on one of them.
Have exact one like that, worked good until it died on me. Anyway, it all could be a moot point if that drive is no good. So it should be checked first, preferably on a laptop with IDE so nothing has to be bought before hand and make things even more complicated.
Got to whach another thing, SATA is part of IDE standard (Serial ATA) the other one is PATA (Parallel ATA), that's the one with wider data cable and 40 pins.
Alpha, I was just writing this post when yours got updated (darn this lag). Yes that's a bit different wiring but that adapter takes that into account. Uuuups there comes another massage.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I have two of these that haven't given me any issues, Newegg.ca - SABRENT SBT-ESU25 Aluminum 2.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure I put a couple of old IDE laptop drives in them. I have my Windows To Go install on one of them.
Have exact one like that, worked good until it died on me. Anyway, it all could be a moot point if that drive is no good. So it should be checked first, preferably on a laptop with IDE so nothing has to be bought before hand and make things even more complicated.
Got to whach another thing, SATA is part of IDE standard (Serial ATA) the other one is PATA (Parallel ATA), that's the one with wider data cable and 40 pins.
Alpha, I was just writing this post when yours got updated (darn this lag). Yes that's a bit different wiring but that adapter takes that into account. Uuuups there comes another massage.

Testing it in a laptop could be tricky. I haven't seen too many with dual drive bays. Yeah the adapter will give you the wide IDE connector that will accept the IDE cable found in your desktop PC plus the molex power connector.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Haven't heard from OP for awhile, guess that HDD is in the garbage by now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

True, enough. Most people know right away what your referring to when you say IDE. Mention PATA though? Not so much. Just about everybody know what SATA is. It can get very confusing though, that's for sure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Haven't heard from OP for awhile, guess that HDD is in the garbage by now.

He's still reading our posts and trying to catch up. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

True, enough. Most people know right away what your referring to when you say IDE. Mention PATA though? Not so much. Just about everybody know what SATA is. It can get very confusing though, that's for sure.
Throw in there old standards like MFM and BFI with 2 cables (before IDE) and a dozen of other SCASI standards and you do get a mess. To say nothing about optical HDD connections.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Ahahaha. So sorry for the slow reply. Yeah, as alphanumeric guessed, I am catching up slowly (I must learn!) and wow, you guys are so helpful and thanks for willing to explain so much in detail! Definitely not gonna throw it into garbage bin until I can confirm it toasted.

I remember my brother is still having his PATA hard drive with USB 2.0 to IDE. Will it work if I test it with that?
Also my brother might still have his old desktop around that probably has IDE bus. I think I can only check it out tomorrow (it's midnight here, by the way :p )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Throw in there old standards like MFM and BFI with 2 cables (before IDE) and a dozen of other SCASI standards and you do get a mess. To say nothing about optical HDD connections.

I can remember messing with those old hard drives. A data cable and a control cable. The good old days when the motherboard had onboard nothing. A big old keyboard connector and a row of ISA slots, lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard