HDD crapped out, slow boot for OS on SSD now

Jack100

My HDD recently crapped out (the CoD) so I need to buy a new one, but I am already having an issue.

I have my OS on an SSD, but ever since the HDD crapped out it is taking longer to boot. It used to take just seconds, but now it is taking 15 seconds or so, which while not very long, is still too long compared to what it used to be.

Once I hit the screen with the blue Windows logo, the circle goes around a few times, where as before it would go a full turn and then maybe a half turn.

I have Windows 8.1. Before the HDD crapped out, it wasn't a problem. The HDD still functions, but it is way too slow to be useable and will probably fully crap out soon. If I leave it plugged in, it takes longer than this to boot (the situation I am describing is with the HDD completely removed (unplugged)).

When I installed the OS, I think I had both drives plugged in, but I cannot remember for sure. I installed the OS just a month ago though.

I need help fixing this or to know why it is suddenly happening after the HDD crapped out.

--

Update:

I think I fixed it, but still need help.

I initially tried easyBCD, but that didn't work and I ended up deleting my Boot Menu. I created a new one and selected "Skip the boot menu" (is that OK?) because it kept giving me an option to select Windows 8 at startup.

I fixed the slow boot times by using my installation USB media (Windows 8 media, not Windows 8.1 media) and running a command prompt and then running bootrec.exe /fixmbr and it boots normally now, as fast as it used to from what I can tell.

I fixed it following this guide, but every other guide (like this, this and the MS guide) I have read says you need to use the other commands, too. Do I need to do this or is the /fixmbr command enough in this case?

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
If you did a new install of Windows 8, it does take a few boots to get the OS to fine tune itself with the new drive. It does help if you post the mfg & model of the SSD. Along with mfg & model of your computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
If you did a new install of Windows 8, it does take a few boots to get the OS to fine tune itself with the new drive. It does help if you post the mfg & model of the SSD. Along with mfg & model of your computer.

It's an 840 Pro. It's not a new install though (been over a month). I recently built the computer and reused my old drives. The Barracuda I had crapped out, and ever since it has been booting slow, until I fixed the mbr. My question now is, do I need to do the other listed steps or is just fixing the mbr enough?

It's a custom build. From what I understand, if you install Windows with two drives connected, Windows will install boot files on both drives, so since the HDD crapped out the mbr needed fixing to boot correctly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
What is an 840 pro? Need to still know mfg & model of the SSD, along with mfg & model of the computer or motherboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
What is an 840 pro? Need to still know mfg & model of the SSD, along with mfg & model of the computer or motherboard.

Most likely a Samsung 840 Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard