Got a Samsung Google Chromebook 11.6 for testing

pparks1

VIP Member
Guru
Tonight I sit here typing up my responses on a Samsung Chromebook 11.6". I was extremely skeptical at first, but I gotta say, for the $250....I am really digging this device.

It's cheap enough that nobody would expect it to be a full fledged laptop and do what standard laptops can do. Therefore, it's easy to accept it's limitations and use it for what it is. I understand that there isn't much you can do on the device if you don't have an Internet connection (well you can do Offline Google Docs)...but because this is a device for mostly web surfing and is $250...that's easy to get past.

It seems to be built pretty well. I wish the resolution was higher than 1386x768...but it's an 11.6" screen...so you cannot ask for too much. It's got 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. It has HDMI out, USB 2.0 port, USB 3.0 port, Headphone and Microphone jack. SDCard slot, and a SIM card slot in the back for future cellular options. The battery seems to last 6-8 hours, and it charges in about 30-45 minutes. It weights about 2.5lbs and the keyboard is a chicklet style like a MacBook. It boots up in about 12 seconds from being powered off, and is on in about 3 seconds from sleep. The touchpad itself isn't all that great, and the fact that you have to press with 2 fingers to right click is a bit odd.....but all in all it's usable.

It's perfect for my home web surfing. Can check email, facebook, these forums, listen to Amazon MP3 cloud player, etc. The kids love it for watching YouTube videos. It's like a tablet, but without having to use a touchscreen and an onboard keyboard. I can type just fine on this keyboard and i'm so much faster than I would be with my tablet or smartphone.

All in all, pretty slick little device. Does exactly what I would want a lightweight netbook to do, and it costs what I would expect for a device of this type.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you get 100GB of Google Drive space free for 2 years when you purchase a ChromeBook.

Edit2: And it's FANLESS..and I love quiet computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Ew. chrome OS. Not a big fan of cloud based services like that.

I'd just throw 250 dollars more and get a Windows RT tablet. But that's just me! :cool:

I have to wonder though, does it look like the UI was inspired by Windows 7? I've seen some screenshots of it and it just looks a like Linux version of 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Can't beat getting a device for tinkering on.

:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    LCARS
    Monkey Trainer Extraordinaire
    CPU
    My toilet habits are a private matter, thanks.
    Motherboard
    She finds stuff to do.
    Memory
    Not that I can recall.
    Graphics Card(s)
    XXX rated
    Sound Card
    Huh?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Monitors are lizards.
    Screen Resolution
    I haven't found one yet.
    Hard Drives
    Sure isn't easy driving.
    PSU
    Again, toilet habits are a private matter.
    Case
    Pending
    Cooling
    2 ice cubes.
    Keyboard
    Nar, it has other key friends.
    Mouse
    Cat
    Internet Speed
    Warp 9.9
Ew. chrome OS. Not a big fan of cloud based services like that.
It's really nothing more than a web browser that requires the Internet for most things. But since most people use email, facebook, twitter, YouTube, and forum sites...and they require the Internet anyway...it's no big deal.

I'd just throw 250 dollars more and get a Windows RT tablet. But that's just me! :cool:
Well, of course you would. However, for me, the $250 and the functionality of this device is pretty spot on. You would have to go to $600 for a Surface RT with a keyboard. That's another $350 more than what was spent on this device. It gets my gmail, it gets on the Internet, does Facebook, plays Amazon MP3's, has Google Docs, can use Microsoft Office Web Apps, etc. That's quite a bit of money saved, and this is pretty much a full sized keyboard and it's quite easy to type on. Much better than any touchscreen interface I have tried to type on with any tablet.

I have to wonder though, does it look like the UI was inspired by Windows 7? I've seen some screenshots of it and it just looks a like Linux version of 7.
I don't spend much time on the desktop or in the UI. It's in the Browser 98% of that time and that looks just like Chrome....as that is what it is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
That Chromebook has USB 3.0? Darn it, why can't my Pavilion have it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
Yes, it does have USB 3.0

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
My angst against chrome books really comes down to what most of the cloud paranoid say: you have little control over your software and documents. I prefer using a more fleshed out Office version and keeping those files on my person, some in SkyDrive if I need to access it on my Windows Phone or elsewhere. It's just a little creepy for me. ESPECIALLY since it's google, if it were Microsoft I'd be a little less hesitant with it. Seeing how google has a good track record of user privacy concerns along with taking bits of personal data and using that to advertise better to YOU, and how they seem to try a tad too hard to look not evil, it's iffy to me.

But then I have to wonder, what happens when you don't have internet?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
My angst against chrome books really comes down to what most of the cloud paranoid say: you have little control over your software and documents.
Well in the case of this device, or tablets...you don't really have that much software anyway...you really are using web based applications and those change as the companies update.

I prefer using a more fleshed out Office version and keeping those files on my person, some in SkyDrive if I need to access it on my Windows Phone or elsewhere.
Even with a Chromebook, you could elect to use the Microsoft Web Apps and you can save to a USB key or the internal storage of the Chromebook if you wanted to. SkyDrive via the website works fine too. I just took a local file from the Chromebook and uploaded it into my SkyDrive account.

Well, if I don't have Internet, I have no use for a device that will let me visit facebook, read my gmail or come to this forum...because they would all be unavailable as well. In the event you were using Google Docs or Google Drive...you can enable offline mode which keeps a cached copy of your documents local so you can work on them when you don't have Internet access.

Remember, this isn't intended to be a full fledged computer. It's a $250 device that provides a solid web surfing experience. It comes with a real keyboard. For people like me who use Google Apps, Google Calendar and Gmail...everything is setup the second that I enter my password and hit enter. I won't keep files on this device, thus the device is completely disposable. If I lost the device, i would lose none of my information. You can reset it back to it's factory configuration in about 45 seconds.

I won't get rid of my laptop or my desktop, but for just sitting in the chair and wanting to hit my forums, my email, facebook, YouTube and such...I'll gladly grab this device and use it. It's perfect for those things. And the price is not a big deal. I haven't touched my tablet at home since bringing home the ChromeBook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
My angst against chrome books really comes down to what most of the cloud paranoid say: you have little control over your software and documents.
Well in the case of this device, or tablets...you don't really have that much software anyway...you really are using web based applications and those change as the companies update.

I prefer using a more fleshed out Office version and keeping those files on my person, some in SkyDrive if I need to access it on my Windows Phone or elsewhere.
Even with a Chromebook, you could elect to use the Microsoft Web Apps and you can save to a USB key or the internal storage of the Chromebook if you wanted to. SkyDrive via the website works fine too. I just took a local file from the Chromebook and uploaded it into my SkyDrive account.

Well, if I don't have Internet, I have no use for a device that will let me visit facebook, read my gmail or come to this forum...because they would all be unavailable as well. In the event you were using Google Docs or Google Drive...you can enable offline mode which keeps a cached copy of your documents local so you can work on them when you don't have Internet access.

Remember, this isn't intended to be a full fledged computer. It's a $250 device that provides a solid web surfing experience. It comes with a real keyboard. For people like me who use Google Apps, Google Calendar and Gmail...everything is setup the second that I enter my password and hit enter. I won't keep files on this device, thus the device is completely disposable. If I lost the device, i would lose none of my information. You can reset it back to it's factory configuration in about 45 seconds.

I won't get rid of my laptop or my desktop, but for just sitting in the chair and wanting to hit my forums, my email, facebook, YouTube and such...I'll gladly grab this device and use it. It's perfect for those things. And the price is not a big deal. I haven't touched my tablet at home since bringing home the ChromeBook.

Interesting.

But meh! I'd just use my Windows Phone! :p ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah,.because a tiny ass on screen touch keyboard is super awesome., I could be on my galaxy s3 as well, but I choose not to.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I'd rather use my little ass touch screen that I can tap type with real fast and pretty accurately in my mobile Office 2010 hub with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote with NO ads over buying a separate web based device that I'd probably use from time to time. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
That is fine, I don't like using my phone for hours at a time when i do forum stufff in the evening. My desktop computer is in the basement. The chromebook works perfect for this in my livingroom..for me at least.

Unsure why you mentioned ads..there are none in the chromebook.

It is all a matter of choice, preference and perceived value. I have a very capable smartphone, provided by my employer that I am required to carry 24x7. I am out with my kids right now, they are playing and I am using my phone to hammer out this post. But even with Swype installed, I'm far slower than I am with a real keyboard.

At home, I am usually on my work provided laptop, which I am also required to carry each day. For 90% of my home use, this is what I use. I have a gaming desktop, but it is in my basement and I don't like to sit down there all night away from my family. There is no real good place upstairs for me to place a desktop computer.

Last Christmas, we bought an Asus transformer tablet. We use that as a web appliance style device. My kids primarily use it for the web browser and to watch YouTube and Netflix. I use it sometimes for Facebook, my email and forums. But typing long responses on it is painfully slow compared to my speed and accuracy on a real keyboard. So, whenever I feel like typing, I set down the tablet and grab my laptop.

So, here is where the chromebook comes in. Typing on this, compared to my phone or tablet is a delight. I am probably in the 60-80 words per minute arena. It's small and very light. It boots in under 10 seconds and wakes up from sleep on less than 2 seconds. It doesn't get hot our make any noise. It lasts for more than 6 hours. It handles about 90% of what I do on the internet from my livingroom. And it's only 249 bucks.

I expected to not really care much for this device, but was pleasantly surprised when I actually sat down and put it through its paces. For the price and the amount of forum posting that I do, it has been truly excellent. It's not the best device in the world, but for my needs it provides tremendous bang for the buck.

Earlier, you said you would spend twice as much and buy a surface tablet instead. Now you say, you would just rather use your Windows 8 phone rather than spend more money on a web surfing device. So, which is it? It is it a case of you would rather just buy all of the MS devices and just bag on the alternatives. That is how I see it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I had to repair an Acer mini-something or other day and I just could not get myself to like it. I guess I'm just not a netbook/tablet kind of person. Keypad was too small, screen was too small, the CPU and RAM was too slow but surfing the web seemed responsive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
That is fine, I don't like using my phone for hours at a time when i do forum stufff in the evening. My desktop computer is in the basement. The chromebook works perfect for this in my livingroom..for me at least.

Unsure why you mentioned ads..there are none in the chromebook.

It is all a matter of choice, preference and perceived value. I have a very capable smartphone, provided by my employer that I am required to carry 24x7. I am out with my kids right now, they are playing and I am using my phone to hammer out this post. But even with Swype installed, I'm far slower than I am with a real keyboard.

At home, I am usually on my work provided laptop, which I am also required to carry each day. For 90% of my home use, this is what I use. I have a gaming desktop, but it is in my basement and I don't like to sit down there all night away from my family. There is no real good place upstairs for me to place a desktop computer.

Last Christmas, we bought an Asus transformer tablet. We use that as a web appliance style device. My kids primarily use it for the web browser and to watch YouTube and Netflix. I use it sometimes for Facebook, my email and forums. But typing long responses on it is painfully slow compared to my speed and accuracy on a real keyboard. So, whenever I feel like typing, I set down the tablet and grab my laptop.

So, here is where the chromebook comes in. Typing on this, compared to my phone or tablet is a delight. I am probably in the 60-80 words per minute arena. It's small and very light. It boots in under 10 seconds and wakes up from sleep on less than 2 seconds. It doesn't get hot our make any noise. It lasts for more than 6 hours. It handles about 90% of what I do on the internet from my livingroom. And it's only 249 bucks.

I expected to not really care much for this device, but was pleasantly surprised when I actually sat down and put it through its paces. For the price and the amount of forum posting that I do, it has been truly excellent. It's not the best device in the world, but for my needs it provides tremendous bang for the buck.

Earlier, you said you would spend twice as much and buy a surface tablet instead. Now you say, you would just rather use your Windows 8 phone rather than spend more money on a web surfing device. So, which is it? It is it a case of you would rather just buy all of the MS devices and just bag on the alternatives. That is how I see it.

I mention ads as google's free online services have amounts of advertising off your personal data like email. I wouldn't see that with Office mobile or even Office 2013 RT, which by the way, I finally was able to try Office 2013 on a tablet PC, it really impressed me how well it worked with touch.

For me, I just want a keyboard to tap on. I HATE using swype, it confuses me and makes me think I'm spelling wrong. I wonder, have you tried using a touch keyboard on a Windows 8 tablet PC? I've never had good luck with the ipad's touch board or android's touch boards at all, as it feels awkward and sometimes feels like you're not hitting things correctly. But when I tried out typing with Windows 8's touch keyboard, it was near perfection. Even on a 10.6 inch screen, though a bit cramped, I was able to type pretty quickly and accurately.

It's Windows Phone 8, sorry, I have to say that as it's a peeve of mine. Well, if I had to choice between a chromebook or my Windows Phone, I'd just stick with my phone. My reason's being are that it's more of niche use than a general purpose. I can type pretty fast as it is on my current phone as it seems like Microsoft has really stuck a good touch keyboard on their products, at least for me. If I needed to do a Word document, I'd do it on my phone and continue it on my PC. I have little need to spend 250 dollars for something to run the chrome browser and a keyboard. But, if given the choice between a chromebook and a Surface RT tablet, I pick the Surface RT tablet. My reason being is that it's more bang for buck. It packs a pretty full fleshed Office Home and Student version that works real well with touch. It also has a larger screen for touch typing. Shoot, I probably could use my wireless solar paneled Logitech keyboard with it as it's a modern device that probably will work with the RT. I could just find an extra Logitech wireless receiver, pop it into the USB port, and take my keyboard from my desktop and use it with the tablet propped up on its kickstand. That, and I can use some neat apps with it, take notes with it, take video, have a Skype, print something, and on. It's more like a PC-lite than anything, and that's something I'd rather have over a pure internet device. I wonder again, is printing supported on chromebooks?

And I actually was thinking about this and using a chromebook over a smartphone because of the keyboard, it made me wonder if a wireless Bluetooth keyboard can be paired with such a smartphone...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

No offence , but you don't even pay for your Windows 8 yet. It's easy to say I will throw $ 250 more for a surface , I will throw $ 1000 for a surface-pro, when it's time to pay, peoples look more at the price tag.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.

No offence , but you don't even pay for your Windows 8 yet. It's easy to say I will throw $ 250 more for a surface , I will throw $ 1000 for a surface-pro, when it's time to pay, peoples look more at the price tag.
Ahh, interesting as you say as I've already ordered my upgrade a couple days ago. I still don't get as to why that would be anything as I downloaded and installed a 90 day trial and didn't want to do another OS upheaval and gave me time to see what I can do with it and if all my programs work nicely with it.

This is true that you do get what you pay for and people look price tags more. You get what you pay for. For 250 dollars, you get the chrome browser, a screen, and a keyboard a couple of I/O ports. For 500 with a Surface RT, you have more capability offered, and last I checked for 500 dollars for Windows RT, a nicely built tablets and 12,000 different supported devices; I go for the latter, but that's just new.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah for my purposes I will save the 250. Surface RT just doesn't make enough sense to make it worth the extra investment for what I am trying to do. I already have a tablet and don't really want another. Like the saying goes, sometimes less is more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
A lot of peoples do nothing else than browse on the web. I have a guy who just use the free Linux base OS "Express Gate" than come with is Asus motherboard, it boot in 5 seconds only and it as a Browser ( firefox I think ) , Skype and he even have is photos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB