Gimme my Windows 7 back!

dakeb

Really dont like this tile screen and apps setup on my laptop. Probably okay on a tablet but you really do need a touchscreen to benefit.

Some of the apps simply don't work, not robust, buggy. Email only shows you messages from the last two weeks! Photos has a problem syncing with Facebook and won't work with NAS drives. Same with the music app, can't stream songs from the NAS over WiFi.

I have managed to set up the desktop screen as the primary startup screen, which is good. I don't have to see the stupid tiles! At least the old Windows media player can see the NAS drive and build a library.

I don't ever want to go into that stupid tile screen setup, it's a jungle of crappiness.
If it takes me there I will leave it as quickly as I can.

I hope they upgrade this os back to a full desktop setup soon and stop trying to foist their bloaty tablet apps on us. It isn't ever gonna compete with android.

This isn't just me being grumpily resistant to change, it's me complaining about just wasting £99 "improving" my laptop.

This Windows OS is rapidly sinking into a bog of eternal stench.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG
HI THERE
just restore your image or re-install.

Nobody is FORCING you to have W8.1 if you don't want to.

At least where I live it's still a FREE MARKET.

Some like it - some hate it

Have you ever heard of MARMITE -- maybe you should google on that before posting on a W8 Forum a topic like "Gimme W7 back".

I'll bet you'd never logon to a Harley Bikers Forum and say what horrible or rubbish Bikes -- not at least if you wanted to stay alive.

BTW I LOVE Harley's -- I'm getting older now and am definitely a "Born again Biker" - takes me back to the days of my youth -- now No kids etc and can be as irresponsible as I like ("2nd Childhood" perhaps).

It doesn't look good as a NEW MEMBER posting for your first post how BAD W8 is -- people here have been using W8 since the start - and there ARE definitely issues with it - but it's not as bad as some people say it is and OK if you use a desktop most of the time it's not the best but I'd definitely do a bit of Lurking on a Forum first before rubbishing what the whole point of the Forum is about - unless of course "Troll" comes to mind -- now there's a word I haven't heard for a couple of years either.

With Windows 8.1 you NEVER EVEN NEED TO SEE THE TILE SCREEN - logon straight to desktop. - Do some research before making complaints that just "don't wash".

Sorry if I'm being hard on you as a new member - but a lot of people here spend a LOT OF TIME getting W8.1 workable in all sorts of situations --if you have specific issues just post as most of these probably can be resolved - and if you STILL really don't like W8.1 never mind we can also help you get back to W7. Remember W8 is essentially DEAD - W8.1 is a much better anima - and if you've got W8 you can update to W8.1 for FREE. !.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Have you ever heard of MARMITE -- maybe you should google on that before posting on a W8 Forum a topic like "Gimme W7 back".

I'll bet you'd never logon to a Harley Bikers Forum and say what horrible or rubbish Bikes -- not at least if you wanted to stay alive.

BTW I LOVE Harley's -- I'm getting older now and am definitely a "Born again Biker" - takes me back to the days of my youth -- now No kids etc and can be as irresponsible as I like ("2nd Childhood" perhaps).

...the mind boggles.

OP, welcome to the "initial exposure to 8" feeling. For the majority it's a similar experience.

However once you learn that things like the mail settings can be changed, you don't actually have to use the apps etc - you will grow used to 8 in no time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB
I hated it too, for the first few days, but after I became accustomed to it, I like it now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 pro / win 8.1
    Surface Pro 2/ HP Desktop
    CPU
    core i5 \ AMD E1 - 1200 APU
    Memory
    4gb \ 4gb
    Hard Drives
    128gb ssd
Seriously mate, give it a try like the guy above said, I hated it so much at the start but once you get used to it you will grow to actually like it, then again some people hate change..

But atleast give it a try for a few days :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8320
    Motherboard
    970A-DS3
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7970
    Sound Card
    Built In
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung LED 23 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1TB Western Digital
    PSU
    550w Cosair
    Case
    Aerocool X-Warrior
    Cooling
    2 case fans
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Standard
    Internet Speed
    30MB/S
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast
I am waiting for it to grow on me, Still struggling. I could use a good help website link that will give me simple instructions into the new features and how to use it. Anyone know one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CM6730
    CPU
    C15 3.1
    Memory
    8G
Well of course I'm going to persevere with it but I'm also going to complain and whine about its faults, I'm not here to sycophantically gush about it, and have already made a number of posts on this forum that have been constructively answered, and for that I am grateful.

I guess I was still fuming that Windows shut my pc down after the 8.1 update without giving me a choice in the matter, despite me having ongoing processes that it just chose to crash. And I subsequently required a rant.

I won't go back to Windows 7, because I expect Microsoft to come back from the Windows 8 debacle now the person behind it is no longer there. Besides, I can't find my original 7 discs so my canoe has no paddle.

I am a little placated to find I can boot to desktop. And there may be some hope of making a library of my NAS drives that the apps can access, we will see.

I may warm to it as Windows gradually rolls out improvements. Still can't get over the auto shutdown with no choice though, that's the pits.

Jimbo one of my favorite biker films is "Wild Hogs", it's hilarious, if you haven't seen it it is a must. Trust me on that one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG
Wild Hogs was great!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Install Classic Shell or Start8 and boot directly to the Desktop and you have a useable computer again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Seems to me MS forgot there is actually a difference between desktops, laptops, tablets and gaming rigs. They forced a tablet system with 8 IMO.

I bitched at first too. Then installed Start Menu 8 and now happy, boot straight to desktop with a real start menu. Now there is 8.1 upgrade...........:doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Yeah booting to desktop is a big step forward to recovering the OS to a usable state. I installed 8 mainly because I was told it would improve speed and make e laptop less laggy. What worries me is if we have to patch it up like a rusty bucket we will be using laptop resources unnecessarily to get it into a workable state and make it laggy again.

I always thought my HDD being 75% full was causing slow down, which is why I moved all media to NAS drives with the idea that the laptop would only store OS and programmes. This may slow down access to the media and library building but I may be able to live with that if tasks like video and photo editing, MS Office, etc. become usable again.

During the 8.1 install I wiped C drive so I could give 8.1 a fair go and not have residual files that might be incompatible hanging around.

It's not a bad spec laptop incidentally, a Sony Vaio, dual core processor with 4Gb ram and 350Gb had, certainly not a low end machine I would say mid range, and comparable to some currently on sale. That's why I spent £99 on Windows 8.1 rather than £900 on a better laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG
I guess I was still fuming that Windows shut my pc down after the 8.1 update without giving me a choice in the matter, despite me having ongoing processes that it just chose to crash. And I subsequently required a rant.

To be fair, it did give a 15 min restart warning. In the store app. If you had it focused.

And whoever told you 8 was going to be a magic speed bullet over seven might have been confused about a few things.

Replacing the mechanical HDD with a SDD would have been the lag bullet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB
I hope they upgrade this os back to a full desktop setup soon and stop trying to foist their bloaty tablet apps on us. It isn't ever gonna compete with android.

This isn't just me being grumpily resistant to change, it's me complaining about just wasting £99 "improving" my laptop.

If you don't like it now you better jump ship because looking at the way Microsoft is heading things ain't going to get any better for you. Moving over from a Mac I personally like Windows 8.

Regarding email older than 2 weeks you can set that in the apps settings to grab all your mail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 3770K i7 Ivy Bridge oc 4.5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77 Premium
    Memory
    32GB Corsair Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 780
    Hard Drives
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    2x 3TB Seagate
    PSU
    Corsair HX850
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H80i
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku
    Mouse
    Roccat Kone XTD

To be fair, it did give a 15 min restart warning. In the store app. If you had it focused.

And whoever told you 8 was going to be a magic speed bullet over seven might have been confused about a few things.

Replacing the mechanical HDD with a SDD would have been the lag bullet.

Yeah I saw the warning of impending doom. Trouble is, I was 1h 40m into a 2h download and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Hence the anger.

I considered replacing the HDD, but adding up all the costs it may become more cost effective to buy a new laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG

If you don't like it now you better jump ship because looking at the way Microsoft is heading things ain't going to get any better for you. Moving over from a Mac I personally like Windows 8.

Regarding email older than 2 weeks you can set that in the apps settings to grab all your mail.

No I won't jump ship because I am anti-Apple and want an OS that all my programmes will run on. I just want Windows to get better, not get worse.

Thanks for the tip on settings, I will get into them gradually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 and 10, 64-bit 9600 Multiprocessor Free
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo Yoga Pro 1370 (Ultrabook)
    CPU
    Intel (R) 5Y70 @ 1.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo VIUU4
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (R) HD Graphics 5300
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio Device
    Screen Resolution
    3200 x 1800
    Hard Drives
    256GB SSD
    Samsung MZNTE256HMHP-000L2
    Cooling
    Fan
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes.
    Other Info
    Touchscreen,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sony Vaio
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
    Antivirus
    AVG
I wonder is doing a shutdown /a from a Elevated Command Prompt would have cancelled the shutdown/restart?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Install Classic Shell or Start8 and boot directly to the Desktop and you have a useable computer again.

I'll second this!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS G750JX-DB71
    CPU
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory