Getting Win 8.1 set up on my z690 motherboard

breezett93

I have a piece of software that doesn't work on Windows 10. The last time it worked was Windows 8.1. For the past several years, I've had a second ssd with Windows 7 on it for this software.

I recently completed a new build on an Asrock z690 PG Riptide with the sole purpose of expanding the capabilities of the software (more powerful cpu = more output). Turns out z690 and Win 7 are not compatible without modern drivers. Keyboard and mouse don't respond on the login screen. I tried getting help on Seven Forums, but so far it's not working.

I'm hoping my chances of success would be higher on Windows 8.1. Before I wipe the drive and start over, I'd like to confirm what I need to do to make Win 8.1 work on z690.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
You're out of luck. You might be able to modify some drivers to work on 8.1 ( not guaranteed ), not worth the hassle tho. Maybe just use a VM or get something older :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 3770 (non K) @ 4.45 GHZ / Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77 / MSI B450
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 / 16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 970
    Screen Resolution
    x2 1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s Down | 2Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Google Chrome 109
    Antivirus
    No
    Other Info
    No Windows Update/Windows Defender
I have a piece of software that doesn't work on Windows 10. The last time it worked was Windows 8.1. For the past several years, I've had a second ssd with Windows 7 on it for this software.

I recently completed a new build on an Asrock z690 PG Riptide with the sole purpose of expanding the capabilities of the software (more powerful cpu = more output). Turns out z690 and Win 7 are not compatible without modern drivers. Keyboard and mouse don't respond on the login screen. I tried getting help on Seven Forums, but so far it's not working.

I'm hoping my chances of success would be higher on Windows 8.1. Before I wipe the drive and start over, I'd like to confirm what I need to do to make Win 8.1 work on z690.

Thanks!
Hi.

To get Windows 8.1 working on your Asrock z690 PG Riptide motherboard, you will need to ensure that you have compatible drivers for the motherboard and any other hardware components in your system.

You can find these drivers on the Asrock website by searching for your specific motherboard model and looking for the Windows 8.1 drivers. Make sure to download and install the drivers for your specific version of Windows 8.1 (64-bit or 32-bit).

You may also need to check with the vendor of the software that you are trying to run to confirm that it is compatible with Windows 8.1.

It's also important to note that Windows 8.1 is end of support, which means that it will no longer receive security updates from Microsoft.

Once you have confirmed that your hardware and software are compatible with Windows 8.1, you can proceed with wiping the drive and installing Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win11
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back