General knowledge - My Anti-Virus gave me a pop up that I have a Viris...right now

jorae

I have Systems Mechanic...runs in the back ground....a 'pop up' from Systems Mechanic stated I had 13 virisus...and named each one...this was not a 'con' pop up. It was the real thing...

We all have anti-virus programs...but how many of us know what to do when we get a virus...

===========

A few months ago, while I was on the computer - I got a pop up from my System Mechanic, stating I had 13 virus!

Of course my first thought was to have Systems Mechanic ...ah...do what?

A full scan takes an hour...that doesn't seem to be a very quick way of stop a quickly being installed virus...and my anti-virus program wouldn't open (this was done by the virus) so System Mechanics was down.

If System Mechanic found them...why didn't System Mechanic put them in quarantine?

My desk top Dell with Win 8.1 was saved bring up a Dell app which 'uninstalling' quickly. Things were happening so quickly, am I wrong it was a Dell app...it seems it was on the Start screen...and I see nothing from Dell on that screen now.

Does anyone have a Dell and can tell me what the heck I pushed?

Has anyone ever been hit by a virus and what did you do? Some say, unplug everything, so when you re plug everything in and restart the computer, you get the 'Safe Mode' to diagnose and remove the virus.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 reinstall from 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Windows 8 dell
When you get hit by a virus:
1. disconnect the network cable
2. boot from a rescue media / flash drive and restore your system partition. After that scan with antivirus the other drives. And you're done.

if you don't have a backup keep reading:

3. turn off the computer, remove the drive, put in another machine and backup any important files (if you already have a backup you can skip this step).
4. boot in safe mode, try to stop the virus from running in the background by deleting its startup entries. If successful, delete the virus, run a full antivirus scan to make sure everything is OK.
5. if you can't remove the virus manually, boot from a Windows / Linux live CD, scan with antivirus and let it do its job. And you're done.

In essence make sure you have a rescue media and a backup if you don't want to waste your time troubleshooting :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    No antivirus
If System Mechanic found them...why didn't System Mechanic put them in quarantine?

Is it possible that you have the free version rather than the paid version? With some software, if you have the free version it will find viruses and other problems, but it won't clean the problems up unless you have the paid version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back