Future For Windows 8.1

I think 8.1 will be like XP.
It will be around for a while. :)

I agree, the main thing is a reliable OS, MS will continue to fix any bugs in 8.1 that may pop up in the future. I used XP since it was released and didn't change to Vista or 7 because XP worked reliably. As far as new features go, there seems to be a lot of free features you can use instead of MS features. One example, I like Macrium (free) versus the Windows image backup.

I'll take a look at 10 when the dust settles but changing to a new OS and getting everything tweaked and fixed just the way I want is a task I don't really like to go through very often, another reason i stayed with XP so long. LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built in the basement with the usual thunder, lightning and scary organ music
    CPU
    Intel i5 4690 Quad Core 3.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z97-G55 SLI, AMI BIOS v1.9
    Memory
    Corsair DDR3 - 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB,
    HDD: WD 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX750
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Wow! Quite a thread you started here, Jody, by asking one simple question. ;)

My thoughts is that MS will concentrate on 10 now with no further additions except security updates for 8.x. 8.1 was a fix of what 8 should have been. Just the option of booting to the desktop and using the Apps Screen would have made all the difference in the world, although I don't think that it would have gained the notoriety of 7 of which "traditionalists" seem to want to hold on to. It's surely time to move on to the next OS in what I consider to be a compromise.

Windows 10 is really nothing but 8.1 with a new screen door on the front of it, meaning the return of the Start Menu. It's not the traditional menu, but rather a mini combination version of the Apps Screen and Start Screen.

The other big difference is that the Store apps run along side of Win32 apps on the desktop with somewhat better snapping rather than their own screen forcing one to use the desktop as paulsalter stated. Upon closing apps one is left on the desktop instead of returning to the Start Screen no matter if one uses the Start Menu or Start Screen. The option to boot to the Start Screen is greyed out for now, but if and when it is in option I'm hoping it returns to the Start Screen. Really not a big deal for me to push the WinKey to return to it for now. I also auto hide the Taskbar, so for it to be just a screen to me.

For the record, the Apps Screen is what really replaces the Start Menu, not the Start Screen. A company can configure to boot to the desktop and use the Apps Screen as an alternative to the Start Menu. This can all be configured via Group Policy. App links can be easily columned there for employees to find with ease. It can also be configured to use the Start Screen in the same way.

I am in very much agreement with what asvent is trying to convey. 8.1 is very much usable in the enterprise environment. MS's number one priority is to write OSs directed at that environment. That's what made them the successful corporation that they are.

MS will pursue and eventually develop one OS to run across multiple devices. A number of good reasons for this. Familiarity for employees and the commoners is one. Hand them any device and it will be familiar. Buy or develop an app once and run it across multiple devices. Ease of development for apps also. Side loading of customized apps fit for a particular business type across multiple devices all configured via group policy. This will simply make IT more efficient for a lower cost.

The statement that users are leaving Windows for other platforms is simply not true. A little research will show this. Maybe true for mobile devices but not for the desktop. Users will simply try the "next OS". The "year of linux" will never happen. Apple can sell all the over-priced fashion devices they want and Google can sell all of the cheap devices they want to, but in the end MS will come out way ahead of the game with one OS and apps across multiple devices. Slowly, but surely I think they will succeed. It all makes too much sense to me anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I didn't read all of this, just some on the first page. But, I personally like 8.1 better than 8. However, I do wish they would have somehow included the Start Menu and the Start Screen both. Maybe, Windows 10 will offer that option. If Windows 10 isn't a free upgrade, then maybe Microsoft will offer a free update to 8.1 to put back the Start Menu or both. My only problem, is that 10 really needs to be a free upgrade. People are not willing to have bought a computer just last year, and then go out and buy a new one when theirs' works fine. That's why it should be a free upgrade. I just bought my Mom a new desktop with 8.1 in May. People like us are on budgets, and we aren't willing to buy a new product every time it comes out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X (AXC-603-UW12)
    CPU
    Intel Celeron J1850 @ 1.99GHz
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire XC-603G (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4.00GB DDR3 @ 551MHz (9-7-7-14)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Why should a person need to go out and buy a new computer, just because a new OS came out. That is like going out and buying a new motor for your car, because the oil needs changed.

If the computer ran 7 fine and now runs 8.x.x fine. It will run 10 with no problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
Why should a person need to go out and buy a new computer, just because a new OS came out. That is like going out and buying a new motor for your car, because the oil needs changed.

If the computer ran 7 fine and now runs 8.x.x fine. It will run 10 with no problems.

Agreed! That's why they should offer 10 as a free upgrade for those that don't want to buy a new computer or have to pay to upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Doubtful that MS is going to offer 10 as a Free Upgrade. They did not offer 8 free. They did discount it though, which brought the prices of computer hardware down.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

That's true! But, 8 was a big difference than 7. So, we never know. But, I can see why it wouldn't be a free upgrade. Although, it needs to be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The only thing 8 proved was that making a mobile interface as the common denominator was not a good idea. Same reason that changing the appearance of Office & the Server OS.

Microsoft has a long ways to go to correct what damage has been done. Why do you think that they are now implementing the ability to run Android apps on the Windows phones & tablets, along with allowing Android OS & iOS users use Microsoft products that were never available before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

The only thing 8 proved was that making a mobile interface as the common denominator was not a good idea. Same reason that changing the appearance of Office & the Server OS.

Microsoft has a long ways to go to correct what damage has been done. Why do you think that they are now implementing the ability to run Android apps on the Windows phones & tablets, along with allowing Android OS & iOS users use Microsoft products that were never available before.

Yes, they do! I heard something about them having something to do with Android, but not iOS. What exactly are they doing with them?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Williamsjesse17, they have released Microsoft Office for iOS & Android over a year ago. They are just now catching up to bringing Android into the Windows OS.

The current CEO has realized and did before he was CEO, that MS has to align itself with its largest competitor in both the Server market & desktop market. MS is losing ground on the fact that more Unix & Linux servers run SAP, than MS. Same goes for the fact that Databases, Firewalls, Email servers are also being ran on more Linux & Mac servers than Beige Boxes.

MS cannot even compete against Big Iron anymore. If 10 does take place of 8. It will only be those who still have a mindset that 8 was a failure. Even though they are still running it under the badge of 10. Same NT Kernel in 8, that 10 runs on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Williamsjesse17, they have released Microsoft Office for iOS & Android over a year ago. They are just now catching up to bringing Android into the Windows OS.

The current CEO has realized and did before he was CEO, that MS has to align itself with its largest competitor in both the Server market & desktop market. MS is losing ground on the fact that more Unix & Linux servers run SAP, than MS. Same goes for the fact that Databases, Firewalls, Email servers are also being ran on more Linux & Mac servers than Beige Boxes.

MS cannot even compete against Big Iron anymore. If 10 does take place of 8. It will only be those who still have a mindset that 8 was a failure. Even though they are still running it under the badge of 10. Same NT Kernel in 8, that 10 runs on.

Oh okay...Yeah, I figured that was the case. I like Microsoft when it comes to computers. But, I like Apple when it comes to phones or tablets. Don't know too much about Linux or Unix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Is there something in the drinking water down state that's affecting your thinking, or was it working for the state all those years that has made you delusional?

Please reference at least some articles as to where you get this crap from.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Is there something in the drinking water down state that's affecting your thinking, or was it working for the state all those years that has made you delusional?

Please reference at least some articles as to where you get this crap from.

Hi there

I don't agree with the sentiments expressed in the article by the OP -- but here are some decent stats (reasonably recent).

Like all these things stats have to be taken in context and read intelligently.

Ms is more into providing service to end users (business) rather than establishing communications backbones etc - Linux still rules the roost here (and has for ages) in providing these types of services -- companies like Red Hat for example. There's a huge difference in providing small business (internal) servers to running mega server farms etc. Ms is also providing an increasing number of cloud services too.

Anybody who thinks Ms is "going down the tubes" must have been smoking too many of those "funny smelling cigarettes" you can get in Amsterdam's famous "Coffee Shops". !!!!

Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
With the mention of Android coming to Windows, is this the rumour that android apps would be coming to windows phone? , not seen this mentioned for a while now
MS are making their apps available on all platforms now, this should hopefully drive up the usage of the MS eco system, which could potentially bring more people to windows phone

As to Windows 8, thinking more on this, is there really anywhere else the 8 series can go, it has been slowly converting over to a more desktop OS with the release of update 1, and 10 just makes this more so (or Win 8.2 if you prefer)

I still prefer the way 8 works to the current 10, but am hopeful that when the consumer preview comes out there will be options to make it work similar to 8, making it work for people who like the different ways of working, 7 style or 8 style (or a mixture of the two)

I just hope MS listens to all feedback and not just that of the majority that want 10 to be a clone of 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Perhaps that's it > The grass is greener down state? :p

Yes, Jim, big difference with specialties. I know that Unix and Linux has run on the "backbone" servers from day one. That's no secret whatsoever, but then add that MS cannot compete with the desktop any longer is just simply a crock. 92% of the world's PCs run Windows desktop with 8.x included. No, 8.x wasn't the biggest selling OS, but it did sell. They surely didn't lose money on it.

He posts from a personal point of view not liking the new UI introduced. Sometimes I think they forget that it contains a desktop to continue to run Win32 while the Store apps are being introduced. Don't like them? Then don't run them. It's as simple as that. Don't like the Start Screen? Then boot to the desktop and plaster all the icons on the Taskbar and desktop as the majority were doing all along. Using the Start Menu my arse!

My tower PC has been down for the count and I've been using my daughter's and son-in-law's W7 laptop. Here's a snip of one of the desktops. The other one is basically the same. This is typical of what the commoners do instead of using the Start Menu. I've seen many a desktop such as this, including on business office desks. Then some wonder why MS introduced the Start Screen? Let's be real.

Typical Desktop.PNG

Furthermore, I've been forced to use W7 after using 8.x for a few years. Good OS and to each there own, but how people cope with using this old tech is simply beyond me. It's cumbersome to me now.

They've been using and refining the same NT kernel since Windows 2000. What's new?

Don't like what MS is trying to accomplish? Then stick to the desktop. They haven't omitted it to date and it will continue to exist in 10TP by the way it looks presently.

Of course they're selling Office to the iOS and Android diehards. Great business move. I'm sure there's more motive than just profit. ;)

Last, but not least; Android into the OS? Please reference. They gave up on the idea of a Nokia Android variant phone that ran Store apps if that's what you mean.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Oh okay...Yeah, I figured that was the case.
I see that you're young. Don't be naive and believe everything you read. That includes things I may post. Do your own research.

I like Microsoft when it comes to computers. But, I like Apple when it comes to phones or tablets.

Phones and tablets are computers. Just a little bit more limited because of power and screen size. I run all sorts of apps on my Lumia phablet including Office apps.

Don't know too much about Linux or Unix.

Nor will you unless you learn it for personal use or go on to school learning IT. Great info on the forums to experiment for your personal use if you so choose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Not once did I say they will probably offer 10 as a free upgrade. I said they need to offer it as a free upgrade for the confused and unhappy people because of a lack of the start menu. If they don't offer it as a free upgrade, then they need to push out some updates to bring the start menu back for 8 users. Not everyone wants to install an application to enable the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
By the same token there are many who couldn't give two hoots about a start menu. If you are thinking that MS will put out updates to bring the Start Menu back in 8, don't bet on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVDIA GeForce GT 520
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC656GR CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
    Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse
    Logitech M510

Agreed! That's why they should offer 10 as a free upgrade for those that don't want to buy a new computer or have to pay to upgrade.

Except that the system requirements for Windows haven't changed since Vista. So any computer capable of running Vista is capable of running 10. The only real sticking point would be driver support. But assuming you bought a computer within the last year or two, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding drivers. Odds are Windows 8 drivers will "just work" with Win 10.

But again it's worth pointing out that Microsoft is a for-profit company that makes money selling software primarily. If they go and give away one of their cash cow products, they would almost certainly be sued by investors. Apple can do it because, A) people still have to buy their overpriced hardware and B) computer hardware sales are a relatively small part of Apple's overall business. Apple makes the bulk of its money selling iDevices, and considering Apple is working towards the same thing Microsoft is, bringing iOS and Mac OS X together, they can easily justify subsidizing Mac OS X development. Microsoft would have a shareholder revolt and lawsuits every which way because giving away Windows would be like taking a 30% hit on gross revenue. I forget what the typical gross revenue for MS is, but I think it's in the $10bn range, of which maybe $3bn is profit, so giving away Windows would basically be to take a loss.

It'd be nice for people like us, but it's never going to happen unless Microsoft manages to diversify its operations enough that Windows sales are a fairly small part of its overall balance sheet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The Start Screen doesn't really bother me. But, I think it bothered my mother since she was used to a Start Menu in Vista. But, she is getting used to 8.1 though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer S200HQL
    Screen Resolution
    (1600x900@60Hz)
    Keyboard
    Acer Wired Keyboard
    Mouse
    Acer USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    High Speed Internet