• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Free Conversion tool from RUNNING machine to vmware VM

jimbo45

VIP Member
Guru
Hafnarfjörður IS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

sml156

I have made a lot of VM's over the past 10 or more years but have never tried to make one from a running machine I read somewhere that you end up having problems with some of the drivers not being recognized and you have to disable some of them ( ie sound card ) and a quick question do you have to put in another windows key to register it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro + 8.1 pro and 7 Utimate
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i3 2.53GHz

jimbo45

VIP Member
Guru
Hafnarfjörður IS

Hi there

Actually it didn't ask me for a new key --Office did though - but in any case just activate by phone if you get problems - just say you've got a "New" computer don't mention it's a VM - Ms have only just begun to understand about VM's now !!!--won't work for OEM versions though.

Windows activation seems quite strange -- I've changed a MOBO and not had problems having to activate -- then I've added a DVD writer and it has requested activation -- the wonders of Ms. !!!

If you CLONE a VM do it AFTER activation otherwise you have to go through the whole process again.

Note a VM is a separate machine so you can't really use the HOST and the VM on the same Windows licence unless it's a VL copy.

Ms is quite reasonable with W7 -- just say you were trying W8 / W10 out and you are "going back" to W7 but your backup failed so you are re-installing again !!!!!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB