Forgotten admin password and can't boot from USB or disk

GTRen

I'm working on a Windows 8.1 Toshiba Satellite laptop where the elderly user accidentally reset her local admin password and now can't remember what the password is. There is a second local account that I can access but it is a standard account that won't allow me to do anything.

After trying to boot to a disk or a USB drive with the Hiren's program about a dozen times to no avail, I've since determined it won't boot to anything but Windows because the Fastboot option is still on. However, I cannot turn it off because I don't know the admin password. I can't even Reset the computer with the user files intact because I don't know the password.

Does ANYONE know of a way to remove, reset the password without using an admin account and without having to boot from another device?

Thank you,
GTRen

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    Intel
I'm working on a Windows 8.1 Toshiba Satellite laptop where the elderly user accidentally reset windows password and now can't remember what the password is. There is a second local account that I can access but it is a standard account that won't allow me to do anything.

After trying to boot to a disk or a USB drive with the Hiren's program about a dozen times to no avail, I've since determined it won't boot to anything but Windows because the Fastboot option is still on. However, I cannot turn it off because I don't know the admin password. I can't even Reset the computer with the user files intact because I don't know the password.

Does ANYONE know of a way to remove, reset the password without using an admin account and without having to boot from another device?

Thank you,
GTRen

see this thread:
Need help getting into old computer
Top 3 Windows 10/8/7 Password Reset Software Reviews in 2018!

i've shared some free windows password reset tools here.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back