Forbes Win 8 is the first Windows I hate

My only hope for Windows 8 now is that MS comes to its senses and allows us to customize Windows 8 to focus more on the keyboard and mouse. It could achieve this with the service pack 1 update that we expect—if Microsoft holds to historical timetables—to land towards the end of this year. I’m not asking Microsoft to abandon touch, just give people who have no need for it—who, by my estimation account for 99 percent of Windows users—the chance to move it into the background.

Why Windows 8 Is The First Windows Release I Absolutely Hate - Forbes

I don't know if we can rely on imminent figures.

MS are able to do this bit by bit over a period.

They have the resources .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
An example I want to throw out there that the PC industry will move forward is with vista. When it came out, literally, very few mainstream PCs other than high end ones were able to run vista when it came out. Trying to run it on a single core processor with a gig of RAM was nothing more than an exercise of cursing and S&M. Just wasn't going to happen. Then something happened, the PC industry started building new vista PCs (after about a year or so, as the initial ones were mainly xp designed machines with some more RAM or subtle changes to "run" vista) with dual core processors that were 64 bit capable (some were running 32 bit vista to maintain current device compatibility) and three or four gigs of RAM with a reasonable 250+ hard drive in it. Fully suited and certified to properly run vista to an extent that wasn't too unbearable. The hardware was adapted for the software Microsoft released. Granted, it still sucked and still had a small marketshare and to this day, I think Windows 8 is nearing the next milestone of surpassing vista's current marketshare.

Now today, the PC industry is obviously in some issue. Obviously very few people buy desktops other than the enterprise and the people who are PC competent enough to build one of their own. The PC today is not a desktop, it is a laptop. That is a PC. Go to ANY tech department in any retail store physical or online, the laptop is the forefront of the PC market. Those laptops by the way, have usually a dual core processor if not more, with at least four gigs of RAM, as that was vista's legacy. But Windows 8 doesn't need that over the top hardware, it can run on very little. It does prefer the use of touch, through a touchpad or touch screen. The industry has partly adapted to that with laptops having touchpads that have all the seven touch gestures of Windows 8 if not more. Some PCs are basically updated versions of Windows 7 models, and therefore aren't ideal for Windows 8 as their touchpads aren't up to par for edge gestures.

As we have seen, Windows 8 is touch centric, Windows Blue is expanding on that. That's the fact. That's the momentum. As Windows 8 becomes more and more touch centric, the PC industry will have to adapt. They will in fact make laptops in touchscreens on them. They will in fact be producing new tablet PCs, the NEW PC, with better processing hardware, not just wattage constrained hardware designed for tablets. There is a saying I just recently heard, if a company internally isn't a reflection of the outside change in the world, it's not doing well. If Microsoft were to keep Windows designed solely for a mouse, it would become VERY irrelevant in the eyes of the consumer. Think Blackberry. If Microsoft were to have made a better Windows 7 for those who wanted it and Windows 8 for the touch PCs; it would be mac os and ios. Over time, Windows 8 and touch PCs will outnumber the Windows 7 and mouse enabled PCs, leaving those users in a small niche of the market developers don't develop for, but develop for the Windows touch PCs. Microsoft will just add small updates to Windows 7 to keep a small user base intact, but the future and present will be around the Windows touch PC. It could get to the point where Microsoft decides to just merge the two finally as the PC hardware will be fully touch centric and little mouse usage. But they didn't, seeing as they probably observed apple in how they went the mac os and ios route only to have them slowly but surely merge. In retrospect, that would had been pointless.

Nicely said,

Considering that they had to combine the old with the new as we transition into touch screen monitors, it's actually quit amazing. I'm thinking that people aren't realizing that the traditional mouse is on its way out. And that all of the negativity is by people who haven't used a multi touch pad yet. Or that they've never taken the time out to learn keyboard shortcuts. It literally took me a half hour or so to have windows 8 down. Sure at first I didn't care for it, although after using it I can't see how anyone can say that Microsoft screwed up. Unless of course like I said already, if you're using an old touch pad or a traditional mouse I can see why all the hatred. And that would only mean that they didn't update a critical piece of hardware.

One place that I can see where Microsoft needs to come up with a different solution, is with the use of multiple monitors. Other than that, it works no different than any other version of windows when it comes to people who like to tinker with their OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
The traditional mouse is far from its way out. I relax back in my office chair and use then mouse constantly with IE and other programs and only lean towards the keyboard if I have to type something. A touch screen would be as useful as a shovel to operate my PC. And I also have a touch screen tablet and even with that, I prefer the keyboard and wireless mouse that I bought for it.

People use their PCs for many differing purposes and one hat does not fit all. I just find it incredible that some people insist that everyone has to abandon what they know and like, and change to suit Windows 8, for no valid reason. And please, stop using the term 'hatred'. It is not hatred, but frustration because we do not have the choice that we used to have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
And that would only mean that they didn't update a critical piece of hardware

You see Ray?

It's all your fault.

You must go and get new hardware.

Something with a horizontal (ish ) screen . It is bound to be poor on a vertical screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
A year old PC already needs a critical hardware update. Who'da thunk it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
The traditional mouse is far from its way out. I relax back in my office chair and use then mouse constantly with IE and other programs and only lean towards the keyboard if I have to type something. A touch screen would be as useful as a shovel to operate my PC. And I also have a touch screen tablet and even with that, I prefer the keyboard and wireless mouse that I bought for it.

People use their PCs for many differing purposes and one hat does not fit all. I just find it incredible that some people insist that everyone has to abandon what they know and like, and change to suit Windows 8, for no valid reason. And please, stop using the term 'hatred'. It is not hatred, but frustration because we do not have the choice that we used to have.

You can still sit back in your chair, you just need a mouse like this one.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412536,00.asp

Or this one

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411473,00.asp

They gives you all the options that you see on modern day cellphones. Two finger scrolling, pinch to zoom ect.. Next time you visit a store that sells laptops, play around with the touch pad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
And before someone complains that they shouldn't have to purchase a new mouse to take full advantage of windows 8, then don't upgrade. I happen to like it, and I shouldn't be held back because of a few who refuse to upgrade a piece of hardware to go along with the upgrade of windows 8.

I have windows 8 on a media center PC (as well as a few others) and the pinch to doom in a browser is the bomb. And the really cool part is, it keeps just that tab zoomed in while leaving all of the other tabs at their default setting. And you can bounce back and forth from the start menu and windows desktop by just tapping the windows key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

Logitech T650 Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Or this one

Microsoft Wedge Touch Mouse Review & Rating | PCMag.com

They gives you all the options that you see on modern day cellphones. Two finger scrolling, pinch to zoom ect.. Next time you visit a store that sells laptops, play around with the touch pad.

Hi there
remember those who are getting older and crotchety -- arthritic fingers on a tiny mobile phone screen isn't in ANY WAY whatsoever as easy to use as a Mouse on a nice large laptop.

Actually the biggest users of computers aren't the under 35's any more. I'll bet in the last few years the number of people in "The Blue Rinse" brigade using computers would surprise a lot of the youngsters. Some of these very small devices aren't really suited to this group (who still have plenty of money to spend -- I think it's called in the States something like "The Grey Dollar").

Reminds me a bit of when the kids finally leave home how many 50+ Dads become "Born again Bikers" -- I'll have to include myself in that lot -- I haven't had so much fun for YEARS as when I bring out that old Harley again -- Woman always looks scared when I start the Engine !!!. ==>Really takes me back to my youth and I still love it coming back in dripping with mud etc while woman is so relieved I've made it back alive that there's no argument on who is cooking the evening meal.

We're all kids at heart -- just the body physics lets us down as we age. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Or this one

Hi there
remember those who are getting older and crotchety -- arthritic fingers on a tiny mobile phone screen isn't in ANY WAY whatsoever as easy to use as a Mouse on a nice large laptop.

Actually the biggest users of computers aren't the under 35's any more. I'll bet in the last few years the number of people in "The Blue Rinse" brigade using computers would surprise a lot of the youngsters. Some of these very small devices aren't really suited to this group (who still have plenty of money to spend -- I think it's called in the States something like "The Grey Dollar").

Reminds me a bit of when the kids finally leave home how many 50+ Dads become "Born again Bikers" -- I'll have to include myself in that lot -- I haven't had so much fun for YEARS as when I bring out that old Harley again -- Woman always looks scared when I start the Engine !!!. ==>Really takes me back to my youth and I still love it coming back in dripping with mud etc while woman is so relieved I've made it back alive that there's no argument on who is cooking the evening meal.

Cheers
jimbo

If that's the case, then they should love windows 8, because the only real difference that would change anyone's life is the start menu. It's still windows 7 but with a different start menu. And if you want, make toolbars that attach to the taskbar with shortcuts to all of your mostly used apps (programs.) I do that for every machine that I own. And once you made one you can drag and drop other shortcuts into them. Right click on the taskbar and choose toolbars, then go down to new toolbar. Name it something like "music," and then put all of your shortcuts of any music apps (programs) in there. That way you never have to use the new start menu at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo
Very true. When I joined the local computer club a few years ago I expected to find a bunch of young geeks that would help me learn something. Instead I found 800 members that are all (with very few exceptions) over 60 years old.

Those users are very conservative when it comes to change. And this story fully applies:

I had one user, the sweetest lady, who was not very computer literate. After she got her new computer, she said, “Where are my programs?” I told her that I had made shortcuts on her desktop to the programs she used. She said, “When I click on the icon, that’s not the right program.” When I asked her which program she was referring to, she said, “The third icon down.” I asked her which program that was. “Oh, I don’t know the name of it. I just know on my old computer, it was the third icon down program.”

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Or this one

Touch pads have never worked for me, my fingers must either be too oily or something, as touch pads don't do what they are supposed to do. The mouse depicted is also another form of touch pad, so in all likelihood, it'll be just as frustrating.

But at the end of the day, a traditional mouse works fine for me, whether it's just clicking on links, highlighting text and copying and pasting, moving things about etc. It's one of the most ergonomic and functional tools ever devised for a PC.

BTW, I hate mobile phones with touch screens, as Jimbo pointed out. I gave up my smartphone and bought a traditional one because it has a regular keypad and other tactile buttons for answering/finishing calls, finding contacts, calendar, messaging etc.

Newer is not always better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You go ahead if you like.

I have no idea why you imagine somebody is holding you back.

I happen to like it, and I shouldn't be held back because of a few who refuse to upgrade a piece of hardware to go along with the upgrade of windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You go ahead if you like.

I have no idea why you imagine somebody is holding you back.

I happen to like it, and I shouldn't be held back because of a few who refuse to upgrade a piece of hardware to go along with the upgrade of windows 8.

:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
And before someone complains that they shouldn't have to purchase a new mouse to take full advantage of windows 8, then don't upgrade. I happen to like it, and I shouldn't be held back because of a few who refuse to upgrade a piece of hardware to go along with the upgrade of windows 8.

I have windows 8 on a media center PC (as well as a few others) and the pinch to doom in a browser is the bomb. And the really cool part is, it keeps just that tab zoomed in while leaving all of the other tabs at their default setting. And you can bounce back and forth from the start menu and windows desktop by just tapping the windows key.

You don't. It works just fine with my 3-year-old $15 USB cordless mouse, which is certainly nothing special.
But I'll be continuing to use it.Not interested in 'touch' in the slightest on my desktop/laptop.
There is no need to 'upgrade' your mouse to use Win 8 unless you've had it since Win 3.1 or 95, which only
took advantage of ONE button and had no scroll.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
And another potential Windows 8 headache:

Microsoft's new security patching routine raises concerns

Microsoft just released its first acknowledged security update for a Metro app -- and the new patching method is a disaster waiting to happen

...Microsoft is treading a very fine line here. On the desktop side, legions of beleaguered network admins labor feverishly with every wave of Windows Update patches, testing, begging, and praying that nothing will break when each patch goes out. Their (quite legitimate) concerns and bloodied noses have led to the very structured way that Microsoft now releases patches for the old-fashioned desktop.

So far, I don't know of any network admins who are fretting over Metro security patches, but that's bound to change. It remains to be seen how Microsoft will accommodate their problems -- and how many botched patches it will take to bring back some of the old precautions.

Microsoft's new security patching routine raises concerns | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
there's no way you would have known you were installing a security patch.

• There's no warning when you install the patch.
  • You can't roll the patch back.
  • There are no version numbers and no revision history. Quick, can you tell me right now if your copy of Metro Mail -- the one you're running on your Windows 8 or Windows RT machine at this very moment -- has this latest patch?

Great idea - nothing could possibly go wrong.:sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I think it is more like 92% of desktops and lappys.

2. The general public do know about Mac - but the entry price is around $1400 in the uk - not an option for the majority.

i paid $2100.00 cdn for my first win95 Pentium 166 ,my sister bought a new ibm with p90 with all the bells and whistles a few years before me ,she paid $3200.oo cdn ,printer and other items with it , so i think it not the cost of Apple computer that we stay away, it more likely because windows based computer can be bought for under $500.00cdn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I think it is more like 92% of desktops and lappys.

2. The general public do know about Mac - but the entry price is around $1400 in the uk - not an option for the majority.

i paid $2100.00 cdn for my first win95 Pentium 166 ,my sister bought a new ibm with p90 with all the bells and whistles a few years before me ,she paid $3200.oo cdn ,printer and other items with it , so i think it not the cost of Apple computer that we stay away, it more likely because windows based computer can be bought for under $500.00cdn

LOL, that is not a very logical conclusion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
A few gems...
Coke said:
As Windows 8 becomes more and more touch centric, the PC industry will have to adapt. .... Over time, Windows 8 and touch PCs will outnumber the Windows 7 and mouse enabled PCs, leaving those users in a small niche of the market developers don't develop for,
and then
bluerz said:
if you're using an old touch pad or a traditional mouse I can see why all the hatred. And that would only mean that they didn't update a critical piece of hardware.
LOL! If you think that you can dislodge the mouse from its first place as most useful hardware, I wish you good luck! The whole point of using a computer is that you have a mouse. Replacing mice by our fingers is an aberration. For 200,000 years humans have been striving to get tools in their hands and now you want to remove tools from our hands? Have you seen the diameter of a finger? How is it more accurate than a stylus or a mouse or any other pointing deice?
WHS said:
When I joined the local computer club a few years ago I expected to find a bunch of young geeks that would help me learn something. Instead I found 800 members that are all (with very few exceptions) over 60 years old.
Indeed, the new generation is not interrested in learning what's under the hood. They buy new things and start off the shelve. Habits are changing. 10 years ago I was an expert in DiX encoding. Today, kids watch everything on YouTube and DSL TV. You get plenty of stuffs just by reaching the most accessible sources.
By the time your PC gets slow due to accumulatewares, it's already obsolete. We don't even bother reinstalling an OS because eerybody is on laptops ruined by coffee spills or monitor cracks before you need any reinstall.
You don't like much Metro style? Never mind, your next laptop will come with something else.
At least the Metro Start Screen address one issue: Poeple don;t need to Google "Facebook" anytime they want to write some message or send pictures. LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Back