"folder in use" warning preventing me from moving files

crs45622

Hi, I have a large music library on my laptop and recently I tried to clean it up, delete doubles, file properly and name files etc. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 when I try to move, delete or re-name a file it comes up with an error msg stating the action cannot be completed because the file is open in another application. It is completely intermittent in that I could perform whatever action on a file and it works then suddenly one wont, but I can come back to it later and it will work then sometimes it wont let me do anything whatsoever or I can get a solid 10 mins where I can do whatever I want. There is nothing in the "more details" pull down menu, the unlocker program I installed tells me there is no lock handle on the file and I cant find any programs running in the task manager that are obviously using music files. I have no problems editing or moving photos, documents or movies only music in the music library in the file manager.
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Both Itunes and Windows Media Player have "Music Servers" and you have to shut those off in the Program Prefs for each Program. If your Laptop is connected to any other computers through a LAN you may have your iTunes or WMP libraries shared with other systems, those have to be disconnected as well at both ends. I've got an Itunes Library and a Plex server spanning 3 machines, so I cant directly edit anything in my "Music" libraries, I can copy them out though.

One thing you can try, is disable your Network adapter on your laptop, wait about a minute, then try to access the files again, if your files are locked due to an external library, that should unlock em. And turn off any 'Sharing: prefs in WMP and iTunes (if installed).

If you have any other music app, like Foobar2000, you have to make sure that is turned off and not sharing as well. Also, Windows Media Center will also share your Library. With WMP and WMC, you can remove the shared folders from the libraries and that should free them up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Back