Fix BCD without install disk

chickman1995

I've had my PC for around a couple years and while duel booting, either deleted the BCD or something. Now here is my issue, Microsoft won't help because the windows I have was per installed by the manufacturer and the manufacturer won't help because I don't have my order number. I don't have an install disk for it or recovery disk. I can't get it running for anything. I need to restore the Boot Configuration data and I'd prefer not to spend $100 on a repair shop. I've tried another system repair disk that was also 64 bit but it didn't work. Someone said to use the windows 8 evaluation but I can't get that to work either. I'm desperate here.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi there
Try this

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

You'd still need to have a computer to download from.

What you need to do is use the tools to fixmbr / fixboot for W7 / W8 / W8.1 - tools should be on the software.

Otherwise from a recovery / install disk (borrow one - you aren't going to INSTALL Windows so you shouldn't need activation key!!) ) choose repair system ==>tools==>command prompt

cd/bootrec

fixmnr
fixboot

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
Try this

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

You'd still need to have a computer to download from.

What you need to do is use the tools to fixmbr / fixboot for W7 / W8 / W8.1 - tools should be on the software.

Otherwise from a recovery / install disk (borrow one - you aren't going to INSTALL Windows so you shouldn't need activation key!!) ) choose repair system ==>tools==>command prompt

cd/bootrec

fixmnr
fixboot

Cheers
jimbo

Now, is this partition manager bootable? Because I can't run software if it can't boot on its own.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I've had my PC for around a couple years and while duel booting, either deleted the BCD or something.

Which is the other OS you tried to install ?. What exactly you did ? ( delete any partitions ? ).

What is the exact error message you are getting on the screen ? ( normal boot ).

It was Ubuntu and the error code is 0xc0000098 the BCD does not contain a valid OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi

Have you succeeded in installing "Ubuntu" ?. As i asked earlier, have you deleted any existing partitions during "Ubuntu" setup or used a second empty partition ( existing partitions untouched )?.

I assume your machine is configured to boot in UEFI mode. Is that correct ?. Answers to this questions are very important as we need to know what lead to the error message before suggesting a fix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
No, Ubuntu failed installing and, yes I believe it is in UEFI but I can't check for sure with it down. I think what happened was during the repartitioning for Ubuntu (Linux) the windows boot path is going to the wrong place instead of the system files. I repartitioned the windows drive to make a new one. Most of my hard drive was dedicated to windows so I had to split the existing one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi

Now we know what lead to the error message. Re-partitioning "C" partition may change it's volume GUID ( Globally Unique Identifier ). BCD addresses each partitions using the GUID so if it changed, all BCD reference to the OS drive will be invalidated.

To fix this, either a Windows installation disc or "System Repair Disc" is needed. The important part is the disc should match the OS installed in your system.

Which is the exact version of Windows installed in your system ( ie, Windows 8 64 bit , Windows 8.1 64 bit etc ).

DO you have either install DVD or "System Repair Disc" in hand ?.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
No install DVD or system repair disk. It is windows 8 64 bit. That is what my problem has been this whole time. I can fix it if I still had my disk. So now I'm looking for another solution to rewrite the BCD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi

Basically you have two options here.

1. Create a "Recovery Drive" from a friend's system. The system should be installed with "Windows 8.0" , those upgraded to "8.1" won't help ( are you sure you didn't installed 8.1 update?).

2. Download "Windows 8.0 x64" trial version from Microsoft's site and use it to run "Automatic Repair".

You can download 8.0 Enterprise trial from the below link.

Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation

The download is fairly huge so once again make sure "8.0" is the actual OS in your system. Once the download is completed, burn it to a DVD and boot from it. Choose the "Repair your computer" option and run "Automatic Repair". Probably it will auto fix the BCD.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

If first attempt fails, make sure to run "Automatic repair" again two or three times repeatedly. Sometimes multiple attempts are necessary to fix some issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hi

Basically you have two options here.

1. Create a "Recovery Drive" from a friend's system. The system should be installed with "Windows 8.0" , those upgraded to "8.1" won't help ( are you sure you didn't installed 8.1 update?).

2. Download "Windows 8.0 x64" trial version from Microsoft's site and use it to run "Automatic Repair".

You can download 8.0 Enterprise trial from the below link.

Download Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation

The download is fairly huge so once again make sure "8.0" is the actual OS in your system. Once the download is completed, burn it to a DVD and boot from it. Choose the "Repair your computer" option and run "Automatic Repair". Probably it will auto fix the BCD.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

If first attempt fails, make sure to run "Automatic repair" again two or three times repeatedly. Sometimes multiple attempts are necessary to fix some issues.

The evaluation, when i start the download says i need the Akamai NetSession Interface. what is that for? do i need it on the bootable flashdrive? or is it simply for the ISO download?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
do i need it on the bootable flashdrive? or is it simply for the ISO download?

Strangely that message is not showing when i tested the download. I use Google Chrome always. May be it is because "Akamai" is already installed on my system ( during a previous download ).

Anyway the download is an ISO file which you can directly write to a blank disc. If you prefer, you can use create a USB flash drive by following the below guide.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2227-create-bootable-usb-dvd-windows-8-iso.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
i did as the guide said, and used rufus. i'm currently on a windows 7 laptop and it will not burn, no matter what i do. so i downloaded the rufus log to see if you can spot the problem (anyone)
Format completed.Found volume GUID \\?\Volume{2e794ac4-87eb-44cb-a63e-25b6a41ade7e}\
\\?\Volume{2e794ac4-87eb-44cb-a63e-25b6a41ade7e}\ was already mounted as E:\
Successfully remounted Volume{2e794ac4-87eb-44cb-a63e-25b6a41ade7e}\ on E:\
Copying ISO files...
Extracting files...
Disc image is an UDF image
Extracting: E:\autorun.inf (128 bytes)
Extracting: E:\boot\bcd (256 KB)
Extracting: E:\boot\boot.sdi (3 MB)
Extracting: E:\boot\bootfix.bin (1 KB)
Extracting: E:\boot\bootsect.exe (122.2 KB)
Extracting: E:\boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui (15.5 KB)
Error reading UDF file \boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui

Found USB device 'SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device' (0781:5575)
Warning: could not open drive Q: [0x00000005] Access is denied.
Warning: could not open drive Q: [0x00000005] Access is denied.
1 device found
Disk type: Fixed, Sector Size: 512 bytes
Cylinders: 3892, TracksPerCylinder: 255, SectorsPerTrack: 63
Partition type: GPT, NB Partitions: 1
Disk GUID: {7AD70783-6D05-4983-8019-0FB5144D95FD}
Max parts: 128, Start Offset: 17408, Usable = 32015645184 bytes
Partition 1:
Type: {EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7}
Name: 'Microsoft Basic Data'
ID: {2E794AC4-87EB-44CB-A63E-25B6A41ADE7E}
Size: 29.8 GB (32014614016 bytes)
Start Sector: 2048, Attributes: 0x0000000000000000