What's new

First Installation of Windows 8 and UEFI

supasye

Hi I'm new to eight forums, I hope i can become a valued member soon.

I purchased a laptop in Korea not long ago, i came with the option of Win7 or 8 but i chose to get it without an OS because I didnt want an OS in hangul. I installed Windows 7 on it and I've been using it fine ever since. Now I have decided to move on to Windows 8. And since my laptop has UEFI capabilities I might as well go all out.

But, I want to make sure I do it properly and I would like to understand a few things first.

In my bios I have the following settings (I'm only listing the things that would have something to do with UEFI or things I have no idea about.

ADVANCED:

XHCI - It's set to Auto, other options include Enabled, Disabled and Smart Auto. I have no idea what this function is and i assume i should leave it.

HDC Configure As - I have no idea what this is either and it's set to AHCI. Other option is IDE.

VT Suport - Whatever it is its enabled.

BOOT:

Boot Type - Set to Dual Boot Type - I guess I will change that to UEFI when I go to install Windows 8.

Skip EFI Image in CdROM - I should disable that I guess/

__

SOOooo.. Is there anything I should know about, especially about the settings in the Advanced section? If someone could explain what they are I would appreciate it very much. I'm greatful for any tips you guys could provide.

Thanks in advance! :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    LG XNote N550

theog

VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Member

supasye

Thanks for the reply, Ive read that already but it says nothing about changing any settings in the BIOS. As far as I know, I have EUFI firmware available but I'm not using it at the moment.

Also, could anyone let me know what XHCI, HDC & VT Support are?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    LG XNote N550

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)