Finally a DECENT full and objective review of surface RT

jimbo45

VIP Member
Guru
Hi everyone

This seems for once a complete (with pics) and unbiased review of the surface RT tablet.

Actually from this it looks far far better than I had imagined --and I'm not really a tablet lover either.

If the PRO (full std W8 version) is as good even I might be sorely tempted.

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT review -- Engadget

enjoy.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
No tablet-man myself but: Nice review!
:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Thanks for the review. It is disappointing that one of the criticisms of this device is the fact that it's not ideal for content consumption and entertainment....which really is what the world is using tablets for at the present time.

I'm trying to get work to buy one as a proof of concept, but there is no way I'm willing to spend my own money on one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Thanks for the review. It is disappointing that one of the criticisms of this device is the fact that it's not ideal for content consumption and entertainment....which really is what the world is using tablets for at the present time.

I'm trying to get work to buy one as a proof of concept, but there is no way I'm willing to spend my own money on one.

That is bizarre because the /entire/ point of metro and the RT version of the surface was for that one single reason only. Content Consumption (Well that and advertisements)

But yeah that low rez display is particularly disappointing, I'd only consider the pro version, but I'm afraid that that thing is going to be a high temperature, low battery life, heavy as a brick version of a tablet :(

The final conclusion about "doing serious work" on the RT was a LOL. The HD yes, RT? uh....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
"two new proprietary magnetic connectors. "

Fail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
But it is not about the ability to view content, it is about the availability of it.
As of now, there is Netflix, Hulu and host of other stuff, there are games there as well. The apps etc, will grow, and much faster than people realize.
So, honestly, this may be a slight shortfall right now, it should not be a deal breaker either.

How long did it take for content to fully explode on Android and Apple? days, weeks or months?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Having seen the Surface and messed around with it a little bit I like it. But this review has something that's off, and it's screen display.

Back when Surface for RT was first revealed, Microsoft shied away from confirming the tablet's screen resolution. We can now understand why: if people knew then that it had a 1,366 x 768 pixel count, they might have pooh-poohed it for not having a 1,920 x 1,200 panel, or better. And that would have been a shame; as any digital camera aficionado will tell you, there's more to image quality than resolution.

I like to take photos, and a lot of stuff affects the end result but the lens is the big deal for cameras. The better the lens, the better the photo. This is why when you take a photo from a camera phone it looks fine on the phone, but put it on your computer at full size it looks like garbage (compared to a SLR-type camera).

This is resolution:

house1.jpeg
300x220 image with normal pixel density

house2.jpeg
300x220 image with pixels 10X larger

house3.jpeg
Middle picture BUT with the same pixel density as the first one. You're cramming the pixels into a smaller space, which makes the photo better even though it's smaller. (This is the reverse situation of the camera phone I mentioned.) If you have Photoshop you can actually increase the resolution of a photo, whereby PS makes up some new pixels on its own and stuffs them in there. You have to do this properly otherwise it will look terrible, but it is possible to enlarge a photo and not worry about a loss in image quality because you're fabricating a higher resolution.

1366x768 = definition of Surface RT.
148 PPI = resolution of a Surface RT.

1920x1080 = definition of Surface Pro.
208 PPI = resolution of a Surface Pro.

The RT and the Pro are both on a 10.6 inch screen, which means the Pro is gonna have a better looking display. I'm not saying the RT display is crap because it's not. I've seen it and it looks great. But you put it beside a display with more pixels in the same space, it will look inferior is all I'm saying.

Lesson over, carry on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Having seen the Surface and messed around with it a little bit I like it. But this review has something that's off, and it's screen display.

Back when Surface for RT was first revealed, Microsoft shied away from confirming the tablet's screen resolution. We can now understand why: if people knew then that it had a 1,366 x 768 pixel count, they might have pooh-poohed it for not having a 1,920 x 1,200 panel, or better. And that would have been a shame; as any digital camera aficionado will tell you, there's more to image quality than resolution.

I like to take photos, and a lot of stuff affects the end result but the lens is the big deal for cameras. The better the lens, the better the photo. This is why when you take a photo from a camera phone it looks fine on the phone, but put it on your computer at full size it looks like garbage (compared to a SLR-type camera).

This is resolution:

View attachment 10765
300x220 image with normal pixel density

View attachment 10766
300x220 image with pixels 10X larger

View attachment 10767
Middle picture BUT with the same pixel density as the first one. You're cramming the pixels into a smaller space, which makes the photo better even though it's smaller. (This is the reverse situation of the camera phone I mentioned.) If you have Photoshop you can actually increase the resolution of a photo, whereby PS makes up some new pixels on its own and stuffs them in there. You have to do this properly otherwise it will look terrible, but it is possible to enlarge a photo and not worry about a loss in image quality because you're fabricating a higher resolution.

1366x768 = definition of Surface RT.
148 PPI = resolution of a Surface RT.

1920x1080 = definition of Surface Pro.
208 PPI = resolution of a Surface Pro.

The RT and the Pro are both on a 10.6 inch screen, which means the Pro is gonna have a better looking display. I'm not saying the RT display is crap because it's not. I've seen it and it looks great. But you put it beside a display with more pixels in the same space, it will look inferior is all I'm saying.

Lesson over, carry on.

I HATE phone cameras or even the tourist point and shoot digital cameras.

I ALWAYS USE A real DSLR such as a canon 5D full frame where you can get a proper DOF . Phone cameras irrespective of the megapixel resolution always have NO DOF whatsoever -- looks like Tourist snap shots -:zip:- everything in focus from the subject to infinity -- not good photography.

However it's good to see people at least READING the review.

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yeah, DSLR user here myself for the good photos. Use my phone camera in a pinch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Camera phones have gotten better. We used to use a tiny point and shoot for some stuff and now that just sits in a drawer and I use my camera phone for spontaneous stuff all the time.

Anyone got any info. about what the camera on the Surface produces?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
The camera on my G-S3 ain't too bad, for a phone camera.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

It doesn't say it's not ideal for content consumption and entertainment, it says that it's currently lacking due to shortage of Apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Hi there
Don't forget that these tablets can output to larger screens too - movies for example are quite viewable in 1366 X 768 on a 32 inch screen.

Often laptops only have 1366 X 768 as their native screen resolution too (Macbook excepted). For example some of the SONY VAIO range has this screen resolution -- although the HDMI out will deliver higher resolution to a better quality external screen.

I'm not sure what the video card in the PRO version will deliver for its output to an external screen but native 1920 X 1080 is full HD TV definition so should be more than adequate for 99% of the population.

Testing the RT tablet with an external monitor I was able to log in to a work VPN and work just as if I was on a workstation.

IMO the PRO model will be just fine for people who like the idea of a tablet and want just a bit more --USB3 slot, micro SD card and HDMI output makes all the difference.

As for the lack of a LAN -- that's no problem -- you use a USB3 multi hub and then have a cheap USB===>Lan connector if you want to enable fixed LAN to your tablet (PRO only -- remember it's running full windows 8 !!) -- however even on the RT the Wifi connection to the office LAN was more than sufficient for my sort of work

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
They say the best camera is the one you have on you. If that's a DSLR, awesome. If a camera phone, ok. If it's a Nokia Lumia 920 with PureView and Optical Image Stabilization, fantastic! :D

I read today an article about how a guy accidently put his Surface RT on the top of his car and drove away and it fell off the roof and literally tumbled away with people gasping, and car running it over. He went back, picked it up, screen is totally ok and everything works and is in place. The only thing that happened to it were some noticeable scratches on the VaporMag coating. That things is built with balls!

But setting that aside, I'm putting my money still on the Surface Pro. Some leaked info from the UK I think or Germany has it starting at 809 Euros, which will probably be 800 US. Seems about right for a 64 gig model. I'm really tempted to buy a tablet PC right now, they are definitely product of the year! I want to use the onscreen touch keyboard on the Surface, as it seems like it might be also very great to use. It seems exception to use with a 13 inch screen. I'm really impressed with it overall given every other touch keyboard out there on other platforms.

There is that, along with 1080p resolution, Wacom stylus that clicks onto the tablet, USB 3, an i5 processor with Intel HD 4000 graphics, and optional touch or type covers make the Surface Pro literally THE BEST tablet PC out there so far. I've yet to see other wise.

But bullocks, I've yet to play around with a Windows RT tablet! My local best buy doesn't have one on display, but I think I'll have my chance this Friday with att. By the way, you can always use Remote Desktop with Windows RT to a more powerful machine. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there
I was using one all last week (RT version) connecting to office VPN (via Wireless) and external monitor ---- everything worked fine
rather amusing seeing the XP screen on the tablet !!! but our office is changing (slowly) to W7 --- but if the PRO tablet takes off and isn't too expensive - I'd probably pay up to about 650 GBP / 800 USD / 720 EUR for one of these things -- and use it at work irrespective of WHAT OS is at the office back end.

Tablets are good for displaying presentations -- now we've got a tablet that can actually MAKE them too -- Ipad users tend to moan about lack of OFFICE on the Ipad -- the Ms tablets (even RT) has Office. Great Ipad killer these will be.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

It doesn't say it's not ideal for content consumption and entertainment, it says that it's currently lacking due to shortage of Apps.

Yes, you are correct. I'll rephrase.

It's disappointing at the present time that the device lacks the ability to playback a wide variety of video formats and such for content consumption. At this point, it's a matter of waiting to see if apps become available from the MS store to address this issue. On the other hand, one might simply elect to skip RT altogether and just save up some more money for the Pro version of the device when available which will have the 3rd party support at launch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back