Fan at full speed during shut down and sleep

It's not in sleep mode.... Definitely off. Dell is sending an onsite technician with a new motherboard, power supply and power supply fan. It works fine when it's on, but as soon as I turn it off the fan starts at high speed. The only way to stop it is to unplug the computer or turn it back on. It's probably haunted..

My Computer

System One

• OS
Late for the party, but I have a new (refurbished) HP Compaq Pro 6305 and I'm having this same issue : the (I think) power supply fan is turning on at full speed anytime the computer is either in sleep mode or completely turned off.
Just making it extra clear that this issue is happening both when the computer is in sleep mode and when the computer is completely off. Like I unplug my power cord, then plug it back it and the fan goes on.

I know this is an old thread in an old forum, but this is kind of driving me nuts and I'm not in a situation where I can send in my computer to tech support and only get it back in a couple of weeks...

Please help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
Hello T0by, lets try to figure this out.. Have you always had this problem from the get go, or after some software installation?
Did your system always have windows 10, or did you upgrade to 10?
How do you shut down? with the power button or the menu>>shutdown option?
Is there a yellow exclaimation point next to the word shutdown when you select it?
Try unplugging your internet and leaving it unplugged before you shutdown, see if that helps.

Lets start with that..

David

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
[FONT=&amp]Thank you for replying![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Have you always had this problem from the get go, or after some software installation?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Always.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Did your system always have windows 10, or did you upgrade to 10?[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]It came with Windows 10 installed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]How do you shut down? with the power button or the menu>>shutdown option? [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]With the menu->shutdown option, and I've checked in settings that it's linked to an actual shutdown action and not hibernate or sleep. I've also tried disabling "fast startup" and that didn't change anything.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Is there a yellow exclaimation point next to the word shutdown when you select it? [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Nope.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Try unplugging your internet and leaving it unplugged before you shutdown, see if that helps.[/FONT]
Just tried that, also didn't change anything.

Again, really ​appreciate you replying and helping.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
1: when and where did you buy this system

2: do you know what your cpu temperature is running at? It may be overheat and the fans are staying on to cool the system.

install core temp and tell me what the cpu temps are..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
1. Newegg, about a month ago. Still under warranty but tech support is saying they'll have to take it in, which I'm trying to avoid.
2. Hovers between 0 and 8 C according to core temp (isn't that like really low?? I mean, it's hotter than that in the house...). It's showing correct cpu load though so not sure what's up with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
yeah, 46.6 degrees sounds a little low lol..

Maybe thats your problem, a defective sensor...

try another temp monitor. SPECCY shows tons of system info, including processor and hdd temps.., leave coretemp running for comparison

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
Ok, hovering around 120 F for the CPU and 95F for HDD. Coretemp is now showing slightly higher temp, but still much lower (50F).

That said, the fan works fine when the computer is on. The problem is when it's either in sleep mode or completely turned off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
ok cpu and hdd temps look good..
uninstall coretemp
hit the power switch once, 1 second duration only, and see if it shuts down normally.
if it doesnt, hit enter two or three times, then wait a minute.
if it still doesnt, force it off, unplug the power cable, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, then press several KB buttons, then plug it back in, turn it on, then shut it down normally after everything settles and let me know if that helped..

do you have antivirus installed? are you able to get into the system in safe mode?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
I just ran into this problem tonight!
I installed soundswitcher on a system i built for a friend (a program with a hotkey to switch audio from speakers to headphone on the fly without having to go into sound properties or unplug the headphones) and when i clicked restart to make sure it autostarted in windows , the system shutdown but the fan stayed on at full speed, and no display and no HDD activity. Just stayed there, like described above..
I did a hard power off, and tried to reboot, but again fan full speed and no display or HDD activity.

so i checked all cables in the back and saw the audio out 3.5mm jack halfway unplugged, so i pushed it in all the way, and powered on, and voila, she boots!

I tried to recreate the problem but was unable to get the jack to stay in the same position that i found it in..
over sensitive motherboard?

Dunno... unplug all but power cables and try shutting down , if still hangs, try again and unplug KB as well and use the power switch 1/2 second press to shutdown.. If shutsdown ok, then suspect peripheral device. USB cameras are usually a big problem, especially logitech.

system specs:

[h=1]ASRock 970A-G/3.1 AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard AMD 8350 8core 4.0/4.2 GHZ[/h]8GB DDR3
3TB toshiba HDD 7200RPM
Dual boot
Win 7 ultimate x64
Win 7 ultimate x86 with video driver disabled to run Warcraft II and other ancient retro games without dosbox!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    Memory