• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Email address (user account) "not available"

RhinoCan

I've been having trouble for a few weeks now in signing in to my main Microsoft user account.

This is causing all kinds of problems when using my computer.
1) I can no longer send/receive email on this account via either Thunderbird, my email client, or via the Hotmail website. When I try to sign in to the website, I get a nearly empty page that says:
===========================================================
Microsoft Account
[h=1]We can't show you that page[/h] Our server is having a problem. We're working to fix it as soon as we can, so try again in a few minutes.

===========================================================
It's been like that for weeks now so clearly it is NOT a short-term server problem.

2) When I try to play various Xbox games on my computer - I'm running Windows 8.1 on my laptop - it asks me to verify myself through the account but I'm unable to sign in to complete the verification.

3) When I try to install a new program from the Store, it wants me to sign in and I can't, making it impossible to install programs.

I suspect the heart of the the problem is that the account was originally issued to me via my old ISP. When I moved house at the end of August, I wasn't sure what would happen to the email account and the ISP's tech support contradicted itself when I tried to ask. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the account kept working fine until a few weeks ago; I had originally expected to lose access to it about 30 days after I cancelled my service. I thought perhaps the fact that it was also a Microsoft account was somehow keeping it alive.

I've long since moved on to another ISP but I contacted the old ISP about this issue and they were, as usual, vague and self-contradictory.

If the email account is dead, I can live with that but I'd like to be sure that there isn't something I can do to reactivate it before I give up on it.

Also, I would really like to know what to do on my laptop if I want to keep the user account associated with that email address. I've got a bad feeling that you're going to tell me to write off that user account and set up a new one based on some other Microsoft account but maybe I'm just being unduly pessimistic. I have this account configured the way I want it on my laptop with all the apps I currently need, including games with decent accumulations of scores, like gold medals in various of the XBox games. If I must abandon this user account, is there some fairly painless way to copy all the various apps, settings, scores, bookmarks, etc. over to a new account or am I going to have to create new IDs for the various games and begin whole new IDs and scoring histories?

Ultimately, I HAVE to be able to install new programs (or reinstall old ones when they start misbehaving). Is there any way to be accomplish that with the current problematic email address/user account?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number
    ASUS K55N
    CPU
    AMD A8-4500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 GHz
    Motherboard
    not sure
    Memory
    8.00 GB installed, 7.46 GB usuable
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Sound Card
    not sure
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in laptop screen
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    one 750 GB
    PSU
    Not sure
    Case
    Not sure
    Cooling
    Not sure
    Keyboard
    Built in to laptop
    Mouse
    None; I use the touchpad
    Internet Speed
    6 Mbps down, 0.25 Mbps up
    Browser
    current versions of Firefox, Chrome and IE
    Antivirus
    Avast Free
    Other Info
    I *think* many of the questions to which I've answered "not sure" are irrelevant because it is a laptop but if you need to know specifically what model of cooling fans or keyboard or whatever where built in to the laptop, I can try to find that out if you tell me where to look. I don't see this information in the Windows/System display but maybe it is elsewhere. I'm not sure what a "PSU" is: Powe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)