DVD RW shows 0 bytes free of 0 bytes

PRahul

On a relative's Dell laptop running Windows 8, she had a problem where burned CD-R audio discs showed up as empty and wouldn't play, no matter what program you used. This was odd, because it's the SAME DCD-ROM DRIVE that was used to burn them. Immediately I suspected some kind of driver issue, so I uninstalled the default driver and then rebooted. When Windows automatically reconfigured/loaded the CD-ROM drive, the PC was finally able to see and use the media that had been burned on its own CD/DVD drive. Launching WMP resulted in music being played.

However... I'm still seeing an issue that has me perplexed. When looking at an audio CD-R or commercial audio CD in the DVD/CD-ROM drive, it always shows as containing 0 bytes. You can still see the track ".cda" files listed, which individually show a minimum of 1K size in the file listing display. Oddly, checking those files individually actually results in 2K shown for the details. I completely understand why 0 bytes free would show because the CD was finalized, but shouldn't the amount of bytes occupied by audio media show up with a particular byte count?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windos7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Latitude
Back