dual boot Win8.1 with Win7 error

frozensun

Hi guys,first time here.
I have dual boot on this laptop and each time I select W7 in boot menu of W8, laptop restarts (turns off and turns on) and then it boots to W7.
Why does it happen,and how can I boot to W7 without reboot,just normal procedure?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
With so few details, it's quite unlikely that someone will be able to solve your problem. The more details you give, the better, in particular, how Windows 7 and 8 were installed: which one was first and another one added later, are they located on the different drives or on the different partitions of the same drive (not many laptops have two built-in drives like SSD and HDD), how your drive is partitioned if it is single, how your boot menu was set up and which menu items it has.

As for me, I use another way of dual boot via BIOS boot menu supported by motherboard manufacturer (ASUS in my case). It allows to select a boot device by pressing F8 key right after initial screen. One (primary) drive is M.2 SSD with Windows 8.1, another one is SATA SSD with Windows 10. So, the systems are completely separate, another drive is set offline in the disk management of every OS. If no F8 was pressed, the primary OS is started immediately without boot menu. Of course, primary drive can be chosen in BIOS setup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro; Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-12700K (Alder Lake)
    Motherboard
    Asus PRIME Z690-M Plus D4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GeForce 1050 Ti, 4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philips 235PQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 (FHD)
    Hard Drives
    Windows 8.1: Samsung SSD 980 PRO, 500 GB (M.2)
    Windows 11: Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 500 GB (SATA)
    PSU
    Platimax D.F. 1050 W (80 Plus Platinum)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
This might have something to do with hybrid shutdown (fast startup) in Windows 8. Can be disabled
in the power options (powercfg turn off hibernate)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 4300
    Motherboard
    Asrock 960gc-gs
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Browser
    Firefox
It's frustrating when someone posts a problem and keeps the information so limited. It's also annoying when they never come back to share what they did to fix the problem OR, if they ever fixed it at all. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Back