Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 significantly slower

rgoo001

I just bought a refurbished Lenovo Y40 Laptop

It is running on windows 8.1 and has a Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

The wifi speed is significantly slower than any other phone or laptop using the same connection. I used the Intel Driver Update Utility 2.0 software to download up to date drivers.

I have tested this laptop on two different internet connections (two different houses). The wifi connection receives about 7-9 mb/sec download with 2-3 mb/sec upload.

Using a ethernet cable, I receive about 30-50 mb/sec with 10/12 mb/sec upload.

It is impossible to play any online games because my computer constantly experiences high ping spikes (400-1000ms) every 30 seconds or so.

Is there any suggestions or software you guys know of that can help determine the problem? My 4 year old Asus laptop runs 3x better than this one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
Hi there,

What is your signed up bandwidth? Is the issue only happening to your own Wi-Fi network?
Is this speed coming from your own network directly plugged in to the router or modem?
Using a ethernet cable, I receive about 30-50 mb/sec with 10/12 mb/sec upload.
If it is, you might want to fiddle with your router's wireless mode a/b/g.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
The 30-50 mbps is when I connect my ethernet directly to the router.

I have tried connecting on two different internet connections (two different houses) with wireless as well as ethernet.

Both times, using the ethernet is 3-4x faster than wifi. One of the houses is signed up for 15 mb/s. I am not sure of the second.

I am only concerned/frustrated because every other laptop on either network is significantly faster and more stable than my Lenovo Y40. It is not up to par with any other laptop that tries to connect

What settings would I look to configure? What is a/b/g?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
Can you log on to your router? Usually, you'll go to the Setup page, then Wireless Settings then you will then see the 802.11 mode/radio options then you may select your desired mode from the drop down box, usually it's set to Auto or Mixed mode, you may try the N or mixed of G/N. Here's an example of what you will need to fiddle. Mine is a Sonicwall, yours will be different but similar.
Wi-Fi snip1.JPG
Changing the mode sometimes helps, please try a different options available for you and make sure that the other wireless devices won't be affected. If that happens, we'll try a different tactic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
Thank you for your help.

I actually bought a usb 150 mb/s edimax wireless adapter and have been trying to configure this. The wireless adapter is also slow when used on my computer (all the current drivers are properly installed). I just tested a Lenovo flex on the same network. It also has the dual band wireless-3160 and is having no problems at all.

When using the wireless adapter on any other laptop, a perfect connection is established..

My Lenovo Y40 wireless mb/s is 3x slower than every other laptop being tested.

Any idea what could be going on? I am starting to think it is not my wireless card because the usb adapter is also significantly slower on my computer. Is there any hardware or software that could be the source of the problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
Sorry to hear about your new Wi Fi adapter. Have you scanned your computer for any possible spyware/virus infections?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
Hey there,

I just scanned my computer using malware bytes. There were 0 results. I should not have any viruses because this computer is very new.

Is there any other drivers besides my wireless card drivers that may be the issue? Is there any other way to trouble shoot this problem?

I doubt the problem is my wireless card because the wifi adapter does not work well either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
Thanks for giving it a try. A brand new computer can still get infected just to let you know... :) Thanks for running the scans anyway.

I'd research more on the Wi-Fi adapter's driver, perhaps an older version might work.

Do you have the latest Windows Updates, might want to check out the optional updates as well.

Try booting up in Safe Mode with Networking by restarting your computer, continue tapping F8 then select this option, see if the speed is the same or not.

Sorry for the late replies as I have been pre occupied.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
I tried updating all drivers / windows updates. On the site listed for the wifi adapter, I am unable to find older versions.

Is it a possibility that Windows 8.1 has anything to do with this? I really do not want to send this back to Lenovo for repair because I use this laptop everyday for work and the process will take about 2-3 weeks.

I am still confused on why the wifi adapter AND the ac-3160 both have weak connections...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
I don't know what else to suggest, I'm still thinking that it has something to do with the driver. Have you searched the manufacturer's site for the drivers? Perhaps, try another Wi-Fi adapter (although you've tried 2 already)?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
If i may suggest, please try SLIMDRIVERS FREE

Scan your computers with it, and update all drivers it suggests, especially the network and chipset drivers

When opted, allow it to create a restore point the first time only, its not necessary to do it for every driver, this way you can start from when you first started the update if any problems reveal itself.

EDIT: do you have any windows updates pending? Please do these first....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
Pardon me but I missed the type of Wireless Router [make model], is it an 802.11ac or 802.11n/g?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10, Linux Mint 20
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Customs and 12 OEM/Brands
    CPU
    AMD and Intel
The two routers I have tried are different. One is a b/g/n and the other is a verizon 9100em. I am considering buying a new ac-3160 because mine is refurbished.

I have installed all latest drivers / windows updates. Any last suggestions? Also, thank you very much for all your help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 64-bit
If you have a Bluetooth and wired connection, try disabling this temporarily and see if your wireless connection is better. I'm also wondering if there are any Startups and Services that are running and not being used, you may also disable this from the Task Manager.

I just need to confirm that you've tried this:
Try booting up in Safe Mode with Networking by restarting your computer, continue tapping F8 then select this option, see if the speed is the same or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    Intel i5
Back