Driver Power State Failure; ntoskrnl.exe; ntkrnlmp.exe

hector

Hi all,

I was hoping to bring the 'big guns' on this forum to bear on my problem. My friend has an Asus UX32A notebook with Windows 8. To provide some back story (the meat of the problem is after this paragraph if you want to skip)...

It is brand new with hardly anything installed on it besides Norton 2013 and Office. It would freeze about 60 seconds after start up, for a good long while, and it seemed to get worse over time. I have done a LOT of things to it in the last two days - uninstalled Asus bloatware (which was also causing a black screen on startup problem), updated just about every driver and BIOS, disabled fast start up, disabled 'dynamictic' via cmd prompt, disabled all non-Windows services and then progressively enabled them to try to isolate a rogue one. I THINK I might have fixed it (in the end I left 7 services disabled - two Intel Management, Intel Dynamic application, Intel ME service, as well as Wireless PAN, Skype updater and Sony PC companion. I have no idea if it's one of these but the system seems not to freeze now and I have reached the end of my patience anyway). It might seem like too much but it was very difficult because e.g. to test the effect of one change I would have to restart, and the laptop would not restart because of the black screen issue, or would immediately freeze. It was very frustrating and I had to work from safe mode to start with, but now it seems to behave better.

But...

I have had several hang-during-reboots today, forcing me to kill the laptop with the power button. WhoCrashed reported that in all instances it was two processes:

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x53F46)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFFA800364B040, 0xFFFFF803D9070810)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFFA800364B040, 0xFFFFF803D9070810)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

Here is a link to the full dump file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3VAF54-AhosQTZJLU1FaG5iSWs/edit?usp=sharing

Laptop details:
Asus UX32A Notebook
Win 8, 6.2.9200
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Intel i5 3317U CPU
4Gb RAM
No peripherals plugged in whatsoever
I ran Driver Reviver and it claimed some chipset drivers were out of date but I don't quite trust it as I have updated the chipset from Asus's website, and when trying to update drivers via device manager it said all were up to date. It also recommended to install an Intel Display Audio driver that was meant only for 32-bit versions of Windows 7, hmm...

I am 'OK with computers' but analysing dump files is beyond me. Could anyone please cast an eye and let me know what caused these crashes? If it is some hardware issue (device power state failure??) it is still in warranty and I need to know what to tell Asus.

Many thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus UX32A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel i5-3317U @1.70Ghz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors
    Motherboard
    Asustek UX32A
    Memory
    4Gb RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    IE/Chrome
    Antivirus
    NIS 2013

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    i7 6700K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    Memory
    16 Gb G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (i7 CPU)
    Sound Card
    RealTek Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    27" Dell SE2717HR
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 850 SSD, 3TB for backups
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    Case
    BeQuiet Silent Base 600
    Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 120EX
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless
    Internet Speed
    Cable - 100MB Downlink
    Browser
    Edge/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
    Other Info
    Sonar Platinum 64 bit recording studio software with MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface unit.
Back