Downloads Folder messed up in 8.1 64-Bit

GearHead

Hi guys!
First off,i have tried doing some research as to a fix to my problem and have not been able to find a solution.
The problem is as follows:
I have no idea what exactly i have done to cause this,but my downloads folder in the navigation pane as well as in the "This PC" window links to the Desktop Folder,whenever i try to change Location via Properties,one changes with the other.The Icon is still that of the Downloads folder,the contents are exactly those of the Desktop folder though and every change inside the folder like adding a file is applied to the other "Location" as well. I do intend on having the Downloads folder on a seperate HDD from the System,as my SSD space is limited and i expect a lot of traffic to come through that folder.

Almost forgot to mention this:Both Folders are named Desktop in the Nav Pane under This PC.It does not let me change the name in Properties and i also don't know how to remove/add folders to that specific section.

It is kind of annoying as i use that navigation pane quite a lot! I would like to avoid a full reinstall if possible.
I have tried workarounds like using the Favorites section and the Libraries section in the Nav Pane but those aren't really satisfactory.
I have also tried deleting the Registry Key for the Downloads Folder under "NameSpace" and importing the one from my Laptop running the exact same OS,which wasn't successful either.

I believe i may have accidentially made some kind of Link happen between these two folders during my last fresh installation,i am absolutely clueless as to what exactly that was or how to fix it. Maybe someone here can advise?

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time and having the willingness to help!

PS: I wanted to include screenshots made with LightShot,but am unsure whether the links are permitted or entailed in the forum rule concerning links.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5-3570k
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 1866MhZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX 970 OC
    Browser
    Firefox
I didn't even know it was possible to redirect your downloads folder. Isn't this messing with the Windows architecture a little more than Microsoft allows? I mean, I could be wrong and it could be a handy trick in some situations if done wisely. Methinks it would be easier to simply move the downloads onto another drive after they were downloaded and keep that folder to a minimum. As for files with duplicate names I would save what personal files I deemed valuable onto a separate drive and attempt System Restore. Failing that there's Windows Backup, third party backups, and ye olde factory reset. Sometimes File History helps and I've had to use it a few times. I realize this is an old post but perhaps this information could come in useful. A small SSD will require the user to rely on short cuts to other drives where capacity intensive files such as media, music, videos will need to be accessed apart from the main drive. It's only a matter of time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 10, Linux Mint and more
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    X99 E-WS USB 3.1, CROSSHAIR HERO VIII
    Memory
    128 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR, 32 GB TEAM GROUP T FORCE
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 1070, SAPPHIRE RX 590 NITRO+
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    :::GRINS::: SERIOUSLY?
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Duh! In any browser I use, I can go into 'Options' and, I can specify where I want to put any downloads. For simplicity, I've told my browsers and my "Download Manager" to just put everything I download on my Desktop, where I can easily find it, and then put it where I want it. Being in some "Downloads" folder, avails me Nothing, and only adds to confusion.
That's as simple as i can make it, and even my customers like it too.
Cheers mate!
TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Gearhead was talking about redirecting his downloads by altering the registry. That can run into complications. Downloads to the downloads folder makes perfect sense to me. Duplications of the downloads folder doesn't sound that practical. I suppose it is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a neat desktop but I don't keep much in my downloads folder as it usually all gets moved to designated folders when I'm done with it or it gets deleted. I don't even like shortcuts on my destop because they look ugly. Then again, I use a taskbar and a real start menu with Windows 8.1 because it's practical. To each their own, I suppose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
    PC builder. Own a dozen PCs / built hundreds. All of us have a lot to learn. Some of us stand to learn more than others and those who think they know the most generally know the least. I'm here to learn and pass on what little I know.
Dude, why to you think there IS a desktop?
I've told my browsers and my "Internet Download Manager" that I want them to save my downloads to my desktop, where I don't have to go looking for them.
Then once I know I have the file I want, I'll move it to a permanent location, of my own choosing.
That's a much more Efficient USE of the Desktop. And it certainly does NOT involve jacking around with the Registry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
Gotta love my desktop. I keep my relevant files on it, my basic icons, make a mess all over it when I'm doing stuff, and shovel it all back into the respective folders when I'm done with it. My reward for keeping my desktop clean is a nice background to enjoy when I come back to my PC at a later time. Everything is right at my fingertips when I open the user folder on my desktop. That includes my downloads folder. How hard can it be? Yup. The less one "jacks around" with the registry the better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD 3800X, Intel 6900K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 32"
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    CORSAIR 1000 W PLATINUM
    Case
    THERMAL TAKE / AZZA
    Cooling
    NOCTUA / CM
    Keyboard
    LOGITECH PRODIGY
    Mouse
    LOGITECH
    Internet Speed
    1 GBs
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    KASPERSKY
    Other Info
Back