Don't want to use facial recognition.

dumdum

First question... Has there been ANY "Windows 8" users who actually liked it? :mad:

I had "7" on my last laptop and I can't believe they screwed this up as badly as they did.

It's like they said, "Look at all the colorful boxes. Sure, we made it almost impossible to get to where you want to go by using "8" but it's pretty, right?"

All these apps which I don't give a damn about and those "Unlucky Charms" curdled my milk and got stuck in my craw. It looks like something a kindergarten teacher would design to try to get the kids interested in what she's talking about and they just go back to shooting spitballs.

O.K., I'll cut this rant short. ( I could go on for days.)

I messed up and turned on facial recognition. Hated it! Can I somehow change it so I can click on a box with my name on it and type in a very short password? (Remind you of anything on Windows 7?) I don't have anything on my PC that I wouldn't let anybody see. I just don't want my wife to change any settings.

"Windows ME" is starting to look real good about now. :eek:

Any help you can give me may keep me from having a mental breakdown.

Thank you,
dumdum

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series
I feel your pain. But as I understand it, Windows itself does not have facial recognition - if you have it, it's a "feature" installed by the computer manufacturer. What it's called and how to disable it depends on the brand of computer.

Have you updated to Win 8.1? If not, you really should. It restores the start menu (well, kinda does). I've also turned off the feature that makes the charms appear when you hover near a corner of the screen, and set my laptop to boot directly to the desktop without a password.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Then add a Start Menu program like Classic Shell (free) or Start8 ($4.99) from Stardock. Then you have a very good and quick OS that looks and feels like Windows 7 but also has the Windows 8 features which you can use or ignore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
I love Windows 8. I am currently running 8.1 and it is very fast, clean and unobtrusive to my work. A very nice OS all around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Haswell i5 4690
    Motherboard
    Asus Z97-A