DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

How to Use DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

One of the most used tools when fixing corruption for Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 was the System Update and Readiness Tool (KB947821), commonly called CheckSUR. The CheckSUR tool was an excellent way for most people to see what corruption had happened on their store, and potentially fix that corruption if the tool contained the payload to do so.

In Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Server 2012, this has changed. It’s called Inbox Corruption Repair and it brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows rather than requiring a separate download to get the utility like you do now. This is exposed in two ways, the first is really unseen by the end user and happens when Windows detects a corrupted state when attempting to install fixes via Windows Update. When this happens, Windows fix the corruption silently and then re-install the prior packages. The manual way to use this tool is via DISM (Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management). The way this is exposed is via the DISM /Cleanup-Image functionality.

If a Windows image (Windows component store) becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.

For example:

• To use to fix Windows component store corruption when a SFC /SCANNOW command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then run the SFC command again.
  • To use to fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.

For more information, see:

This tutorial will show you how to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the DISM /Cleanup-Image tool to fix component store corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool.

Note   Note
The DISM /Cleanup-Image tool saves it's log files in the file locations below. To be able to view these logs, you would need to copy them from the locations below to your desktop, then open them from your desktop.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

CBS.log.jpg

DISM.log.jpg

Tip   Tip
If you get an error like below when running a DISM command in an option below, then run the command below and try again afterwards.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Note   Note
Error: 0x80240021

Failure DISM. No operation was performed.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt
  • Option Two: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

OPTION ONE

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

CMD_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

CMD_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

CMD_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5 or step 6 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

PowerShell_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

PowerShell_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

PowerShell_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

PowerShell_DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5, step 6, or step 7 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Command_Prompt.png
    Command_Prompt.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 580
Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update Pro in Hyper-V/Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Cliff's Black & Blue Wonder
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    32 GB Quad Kit, G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3866, 18-19-19-39-2T
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix O24G, 24576 MB GDDR6X
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2711U(4K) and a hp 27vx(1080p)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz
    Hard Drives
    C: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD
    E: & O: Libraries & OneDrive-> Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    D: Hyper-V VM's -> Samsung PM951 Client M.2 512Gb SSD
    G: System Images -> HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000i High Performance ATX Power Supply 80+ Platinum
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB TT Premium-Edition 360mm and 3 Corsair blue LED fans
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender of course & Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit as a
    Other Info
    Router: FRITZ!Box 7590 AX V2
    Sound system: SHARP HT-SBW460 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
    Webcam: Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM 4K webcam with HDR

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
I've sorted mine out by uninstalling KB3022345

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65070-problems-windows-update-2.html

It's on page 2.

Hope it helps someone out.

Because of Reset Base command and doing system update cleanup, I cannot uninstall any updates :(
True. Here are some explanations of the different DISM commands if you're interested: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825265.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
hh825265.Warning(v=win.10).gif
Warning
Installed Windows updates can’t be uninstalled after running /StartComponentCleanup with the /ResetBase option.
Use /AnalyzeComponentStore to create a report of the component store. For more information about the report and how to use the information provided in the report, see Determine the Actual Size of the WinSxS Folder.
Use /CheckHealth to check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired.
Use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This operation will take several minutes.
Use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, and then perform repair operations automatically. This operation will take several minutes.
Use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair, such as a path to the Windows directory of a mounted image.
If you specify multiple /Source arguments, the files are gathered from the first location where they are found and the rest of the locations are ignored. If you do not specify a /Source for a feature that has been removed, the default location in the registry is used or Windows Update (WU) is used for online images.
Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU for repair of online images.
/AnalyzeComponentStore and /ResetBase can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 images.
/StartComponentCleanup can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 images.
/CheckHealth, /ScanHealth, /RestoreHealth, /Source, and /LimitAccess can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 images.
/HideSP and /SPSuperseded can’t be used when servicing a version of Windows that is earlier than Windows® 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) image.
Examples:
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions
Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded /HideSP
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    (1) HD Webcam C270 (2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio (3) Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Thank you very much for that Cliff. Guess I've to restore one of my Macrium images.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Thank you very much for that Cliff. Guess I've to restore one of my Macrium images.
You're welcome, sorry it didn't work in this case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i9-9900K
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    hanteks Enthoo Pro TG
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Trust GTX THURA
    Mouse
    Trust GTX 148
    Internet Speed
    25+/5+ (+usually faster)
    Browser
    Edge; Chrome; IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Not to worry at all, At least now I know that Reset Base command really works ;)

Because of valuable suggestions from this Forum, I do my full backup every month or so.
And now I could test out whether backed up images really work & it does :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Hello,
none of the solutions are working for me (although they used to).
I use Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Using sfc /scannow gives me the message the action cannot be performed, and all the DISM commands give me "Store is corrupted", except ScanHealth, which says "The component store is repairable".

Updates do not work, they either start downloading and hang, or keep looking for updates, or one update gets installed and the rest fails.

I am at my wit's end now, can someone PLEASE help me to fix this?
I do not have a Windows DVD or anything, it is all on a partition on my hard drive, and, by the way, refreshing my machine does not work either.

Please help.
Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Thank you very much, Brink (Are you Dutch?),
I am now downloading the ISO and I will try a refresh.

Thank you ever so much for your help, as I really did not know what to do anymore.
I'll keep you posted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thank you very much, Brink (Are you Dutch?),
I am now downloading the ISO and I will try a refresh.

Thank you ever so much for your help, as I really did not know what to do anymore.
I'll keep you posted.

Reinstall if you wish to.
You could have avoided it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Thank you very much, Brink (Are you Dutch?),I am now downloading the ISO and I will try a refresh.Thank you ever so much for your help, as I really did not know what to do anymore.I'll keep you posted.
Hmmm, spoke too soon.Have been trying since yesterday to get hold of this ISO.It either stops responding continuously, or makes a tiny bit of progress and then goes on hanging.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Afraid not, Brink.
It ran through the repairs and fixes in about half an hour, but the same faults were still there. :cry:

And the other thing is: I want to upgrade to Windows 10 tomorrow, but my concern is it might not work due to Windows Update not working.
EDITED: Windows UpDATE, not UpGRADE.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi Brink,

Thank you for the excellent tutorial.

I am trying to use DISM to repair Component Store Corruption.

The command after mounting the ISO: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

I wrote Windows 8.1 into a USB pendrive using the Windows Installation Media creator. So it is not an ISO.What command should I use in DISM to point it to the source?

EDIT: OK, after reading up on the subject I think the command

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth /Source:I:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

should work. (Replace drive letter I: with the actual drive letter of the USB pen drive/ optical drive holding the Windows 8.1 installation files.)

Need confirmation before I try it.. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
Hello Jumanji,

If "I" is the drive letter, then you would need to use the command below. :)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:I:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thanks, Brink, for the response.

In option 6 of your Tutorial under the Notes Section you have said "The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file"

When downloading 8.1 using the Create Media Tool I chose the first option to write it directly onto a pen drive and not the option to create an ISO.

When I look into the downloaded set up files on the pen drive, I don't see any install.wim file under sources.

Should I still point the source to a non-existent install.wim file or the existing sxs folder which is supposed to hold the Component Store?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
Back