DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

How to Use DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

One of the most used tools when fixing corruption for Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 was the System Update and Readiness Tool (KB947821), commonly called CheckSUR. The CheckSUR tool was an excellent way for most people to see what corruption had happened on their store, and potentially fix that corruption if the tool contained the payload to do so.

In Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Server 2012, this has changed. It’s called Inbox Corruption Repair and it brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows rather than requiring a separate download to get the utility like you do now. This is exposed in two ways, the first is really unseen by the end user and happens when Windows detects a corrupted state when attempting to install fixes via Windows Update. When this happens, Windows fix the corruption silently and then re-install the prior packages. The manual way to use this tool is via DISM (Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management). The way this is exposed is via the DISM /Cleanup-Image functionality.

If a Windows image (Windows component store) becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.

For example:

• To use to fix Windows component store corruption when a SFC /SCANNOW command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then run the SFC command again.
  • To use to fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.

For more information, see:

This tutorial will show you how to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the DISM /Cleanup-Image tool to fix component store corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool.

Note   Note
The DISM /Cleanup-Image tool saves it's log files in the file locations below. To be able to view these logs, you would need to copy them from the locations below to your desktop, then open them from your desktop.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

CBS.log.jpg

DISM.log.jpg

Tip   Tip
If you get an error like below when running a DISM command in an option below, then run the command below and try again afterwards.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Note   Note
Error: 0x80240021

Failure DISM. No operation was performed.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt
  • Option Two: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

OPTION ONE

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

CMD_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

CMD_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

CMD_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5 or step 6 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

PowerShell_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

PowerShell_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

PowerShell_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

PowerShell_DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5, step 6, or step 7 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Command_Prompt.png
    Command_Prompt.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 579
Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I'll give that a shot this weekend. I know I tried the restore health before and it back back with an error that the restore health was unknown....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I have access to downloading Windows 7, can I download that and run it instead of Windows 8 if the reinstall of Windows 8 does not fix my problem?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
In that case you may need to do a clean install of Windows instead. :(

Can you direct to where I can find how to do that?

I have access to downloading Windows 7, can I download that and run it instead of Windows 8 if the reinstall of Windows 8 does not fix my problem?

Sure, you could install Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 if you like and if have a Windows 7 product key to activate it with.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I know is a little OT, but I neede to tell Brink and all the other who helps people in need.

Been following this topic and a few more from the start, I have found good help in this forum and the win7forum for years, but never got to be member, now I needed to, just to say THANK you to all the good guys who help us noobs fixing our rigs, you guys do a great job.

Wish you all a nice weekend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windoes 8.1pro 64bit with media center
Hello PALDK, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I'm glad that we could help. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Apologies for not reading all 13 pages, so this may have been asked before. Is it possible to run Dism to fix possible component store issues offline?

I have a non-working Windows 8.1 MCE (update 1) which was fine until I accidentally destroyed the partitions while investigating some old Acer system restore disks.

Fortunately I restored the Partitions, but the Windows 8.1 boot stops at the login screen "Preparing Windows" (no keyboard or mouse activity possible) then dies after the system goes to sleep. see: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52830-rant-i-lose-faith-windows-occasions.html#post421720

Having used imagex to image the volume, is it possible to mount the .wim and use dism (say from WinPE on an install Windows 8.1 disk) to fix any component store issues offline?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thanks Shawn, I have been perusing the TechNet Dism pages and will be trying some of the offline repair techniques outlined there, and I will of course report back with any findings.

One thing I intend to do, sounds a bit crazy, but I have had some success with it before* - is to apply the install.wim from the install iso to the failed system volume directly, without reformatting or removing any files.

* I did this once before with a time-expired Windows Embedded Standard 7 Sp1 evaluation system, using the install.wim I had created to install the system originally. It behaved perfectly after, retaining user data and installed software, but reset the expiry
time counter.

Wonderful things, - wims!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I applied the install.wim (from a Windows 8.1 update 1 ISO d/l from the net, burned to an USB, as per the excellent tutorial http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2227-create-bootable-usb-dvd-windows-8-iso.html) to my failed windows 8.1 boot volume using Dism from a windows 8 usb stick.

The results were interesting. On rebooting to the previously failed installation, there were come changes, such as "preparing devices" etc, but the setup process stalled with:

1.png

But this offers a hook in, because Shift F10 now allows a command prompt:
2.png
Diskpart shows the available volumes, so it is possible to navigate around the filesystems from the command prompt, knowing how the partitions have been assigned drive letters.

3.png
However, atttempting to run setup from the USB stalls at about 98%, so it is still not possible to run an in-place repair installation at this time.

It was however, possible to run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

You can see from the screenshots it was possible to capture these screens, and save them in MSPAINT, Notepad is also available, as are many simple Windows Accessories. Also programs like 7-zip, which need no registry entries to run, offer file management capabilities as well as their archive functions.

At first, the mouse pointer was not visible, although it was possible to see buttons and active regions on the screen light up when the invisible pointer passed over. Then at some point, it just appeared, I do not know why.

In order to incestigate what is actually running, the sysinternals program Process Explorer, offers an insight into the underlying process structure:

It is also possible to do much more - the user is NT authority\system, so the system is (dangerously) open to do almost everything, for instance to start services, to run programs including Internet Explorer, once the network is working:

10.png
Indeed, I am typing this from IE11 in this current system now.

I'll report further soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hello Sir. I'm actually in the process of fixing my notebook again.. I tried the sfc/ scannow but failed with the repair corrupt stuff and I'm still scanning my notebook for any viruses incase, and reading this topic about DISM, I looked through the DISM note and I found this horrible result. I don't know why it's like this. :cry: I'll share my findings after scanning with the antivirus. I just thought I'd post this incase this is something to worry about. The Chinese characters are bothering me and if you saw the whole note it's mostly all like that.
DISM 6 OCT 2014.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 RT Single Language
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY dv4 Notebook PC
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    ESET Smart Security 7
That's weird.

Could you post a FULL screenshot of the dism result window ?

Kind of like this---

sfc_dism_sfc.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I'm sorry it took a long time with responding, my notebook was infected with Gendows and I had to do a full scan to remove it.
And here's the DISM result.

DISM RestoreHealth 7 OCT 2014.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY dv4 Notebook PC
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    ESET Smart Security 7
Hello kishamei,

Usually when you have issues running DISM like this, you may need to reinstall Windows. Especially considering you were infected to be extra safe. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thank you very much for your help and advice. I just upgraded my Windows 8.1 RT to Pro since RT has been lagging anyway. I just wanted to prevent formatting my laptop but I actually needed to. There was no hope for my corrupted files. Thanks again. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY dv4 Notebook PC
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    ESET Smart Security 7
You're welcome. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Why do the errors keep occuring ?

What bothers me with the DISM routine is that is seems to always imply that there were errors to begin with (although these have been fixed). I never encountered this with Vista and W7. Once the system was good it stayed that way. I suspect that running a full disk clean (clean system files) somehow causes this. I also suspect the error isn't really a "fatal" error as such either.

(I attached a screen shot which shows as attached and it shows to me in preview post. Its not showing for me in the post though)

Edit... if I go into "edit post" I see the attached image. Very odd.

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,