DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

How to Use DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

One of the most used tools when fixing corruption for Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 was the System Update and Readiness Tool (KB947821), commonly called CheckSUR. The CheckSUR tool was an excellent way for most people to see what corruption had happened on their store, and potentially fix that corruption if the tool contained the payload to do so.

In Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Server 2012, this has changed. It’s called Inbox Corruption Repair and it brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows rather than requiring a separate download to get the utility like you do now. This is exposed in two ways, the first is really unseen by the end user and happens when Windows detects a corrupted state when attempting to install fixes via Windows Update. When this happens, Windows fix the corruption silently and then re-install the prior packages. The manual way to use this tool is via DISM (Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management). The way this is exposed is via the DISM /Cleanup-Image functionality.

If a Windows image (Windows component store) becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.

For example:

• To use to fix Windows component store corruption when a SFC /SCANNOW command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store (source) is corrupted, then run the SFC command again.
  • To use to fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.

For more information, see:

This tutorial will show you how to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the DISM /Cleanup-Image tool to fix component store corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do an Inbox Corruption Repair with the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool.

Note   Note
The DISM /Cleanup-Image tool saves it's log files in the file locations below. To be able to view these logs, you would need to copy them from the locations below to your desktop, then open them from your desktop.

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

CBS.log.jpg

DISM.log.jpg

Tip   Tip
If you get an error like below when running a DISM command in an option below, then run the command below and try again afterwards.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Note   Note
Error: 0x80240021

Failure DISM. No operation was performed.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt
  • Option Two: To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

OPTION ONE

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated Command Prompt

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

CMD_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

A) In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

CMD_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

CMD_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5 or step 6 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

OPTION TWO

To Run "DISM /Cleanup-Image" tool in an Elevated PowerShell

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what DISM command you would like to use.

3. To Use DISM /CheckHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /CheckHealth to only check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired. This is just a quick way to see if corruption currently exists, and to inform you if there is corruption. This does not fix anything or create a log. This will finish running almost instantly.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

PowerShell_CheckHealth.jpg

4. To Use DISM /ScanHealth Command
Note   Note
You would use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption. This option does not fix any corruption. It only checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 5-10 minutes to finish. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

PowerShell_ScanHealth.jpg

5. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth Command
Note   Note
(recommended) You would use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

:arrow: Repair-WindowsImage /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

PowerShell_RestoreHealth.jpg

6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
Note   Note
You would use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of an install.wim file as the source of known good versions of files that can be used for the repair. This can take around 10-15 minutes up to a few hours to finish depending on the level of corruption. It will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.

This can be useful if step 5 above was not able to repair the Windows image (component store).

The install.wim file will be in the Sources folder of a mounted Windows 8.1 ISO file.

A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want to use, press Enter, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

OR

(To prevent DISM from using Windows Update for online images)
:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

For example:

:ar: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:D:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

PowerShell_DISM_RestoreHealth_wim_sources.png

7. If you did step 5, step 6, or step 7 above, it is recommended to restart the computer to fully apply.

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Command_Prompt.png
    Command_Prompt.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 580
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello John,

Usually if DISM fails, you'll need to either refresh, reset, or reinstall Window. :(

Since you are not having any problems, then there's really no need to do so unless you just really wanted to.

Thanks for reply - guess I need reassuring - will ignore it - appreciate you responding.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
You're welcome. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hmmm, doesn't seem very smooth. I tried with CheckHealth. That was fine. Came back in a few seconds with no problems found. So I tried ScanHealth. After a couple of minutes it indicated 20% done. That was it. No further update. I let it run about 10 more minutes. Showed CPU Memory and Disk about 50% busy. Windows Module Installer was using most of the CPU doing something. But nothing happens. So I killed it. Seems like I should just leave it alone. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
Hmmm, doesn't seem very smooth. I tried with CheckHealth. That was fine. Came back in a few seconds with no problems found. So I tried ScanHealth. After a couple of minutes it indicated 20% done. That was it. No further update. I let it run about 10 more minutes. Showed CPU Memory and Disk about 50% busy. Windows Module Installer was using most of the CPU doing something. But nothing happens. So I killed it. Seems like I should just leave it alone. :(

Dism hangs on 20% for a LONG time but it will finish.
Maybe half an hour to an hour, depending on the amount of corruption it finds.

EDIT> You can leave it run in the background & do other things in the meantime. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
It's difficult to leave jobs running for that amount of time. Too often I have to pack up the Laptop and leave on short notice. :(

But I doubt my system is hosed this early on. Ignorance may be bliss in this case. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
New Question - Recurring Component Store Corruption

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz
6 GB Ram
64 bit Operating System, x64 based processor
2 Hard drives with 500 as primary
WDC WD10EAVS-00M480
WDC WD5000AZLX-00K4KA0
NVIDIA GeFrorce GTX 760 - up to date software in all respects
Kaspersky Pure 3.0 3.0.13.0.2.558 - up to date in all respects
Driver Reviver -to make sure all drivers are current - checked weekly
All Windows Updates are installed and up to date with the exception of BING which I hide and do not install on purpose, and an optional update dealing with the Marvell Raid controller dated 3 -7-2013 which I don't want to update because I don't use RAID with my hard drives.

This is an 2009 Alienware Area-51 x58 desktop which originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium. The Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard and DDR3 133 MHZ memory are about the only original hardware that the system came with. The hard drives, video card, DVD Burner, Hauppage Dual tuner TV card, and OS are all additions/replacements/upgrades over the last 4-ish years.
When I first installed Windows 8.0 Pro within a month of its release I remember after install having a problem installing one of the Windows Updates . . . I don't remember the exact K#, I remember researching it at the time and it seemed quite a few people were having problems of a similar sort with updates that wouldn't install correctly. Anyway . . . I have been trying to troubleshoot and fix this issue since approximately that same time. Not sure if mentioning that fact will even help you.

Every time I reboot the system . . . if I run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth I get the response "The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired." "The operation completed successfully". If I then run SFC /Scannow the result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". If it is possible please review the copy and pasted info from CBS Log file zipped and tell me if you see any obvious signs that would explain why this recurring corruption occurs.

Thank You,

ChiefMMII

Attachments

• CBS log.zip
    37.5 KB · Views: 142

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware
    CPU
    Intel i7 920@2.67 ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIZIO HDMI Huge
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD10EAVS-00M480
    WDC WD5000AZLX-00K4KA0
    Case
    Big
    Cooling
    Air - 4 large fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless
    Internet Speed
    Docsis 3.0 Surfboard SB6141
    Browser
    Microsoft IE 11
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Pure 3.0
Hello ChiefMMII, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The "The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired." "The operation completed successfully". message is just a generic message. You will see it every time you run the command below, and doesn't mean that you have any corruption.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you like, use the command below to check and see if you have any corruption or not instead.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Hope this helps, :)
Shawn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I'm feeling quite ignorant (in Webster's dictionary definition) right about now . . . I did not know that the response I was getting using "/RestoreHealth" was a default response and not an actual problem response. I did run, as you suggested, /CheckHealth and in fact as you probably suspected received the response "No component store corruption detected".

Thank you for your prompt and accurate response. I'll chalk that up as a good thing . . . I learned something new today, LOL.

ChiefMMII

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware
    CPU
    Intel i7 920@2.67 ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIZIO HDMI Huge
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD10EAVS-00M480
    WDC WD5000AZLX-00K4KA0
    Case
    Big
    Cooling
    Air - 4 large fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Microsoft IE 11
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Pure 3.0
You're most welcome ChiefMMII. Don't worry about it. It's a new feature that everyone is getting used to. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hi
The DISM thing showed no error anywhere.

But Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth gives error:

Repair-WindowsImage : DismInitialize failed. Error code = 0xc0040009
At line:1 char:1
+ Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

Any idea anyone?
thx
piyush

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba P50
    CPU
    Intel i5 4th Gen 4200
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB 5400 RPM
    Browser
    Mozilla, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Sec
Hi
The DISM thing showed no error anywhere.

But Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth gives error:

Repair-WindowsImage : DismInitialize failed. Error code = 0xc0040009
At line:1 char:1
+ Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

Any idea anyone?
thx
piyush

Hello Piyush, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I don't see anything for that error number. You might see if you may be able to successfully run it after restarting the PC.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I don't mean to cloud the issue but I looked up that error code just to see what came up in google. It "appears" to reference a SCSI time out error experienced on a server. I doubt seriously your using your laptop as a server so something seems a bit weird with that error code showing up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware
    CPU
    Intel i7 920@2.67 ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
    Sound Card
    Internal
    Monitor(s) Displays
    VIZIO HDMI Huge
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD10EAVS-00M480
    WDC WD5000AZLX-00K4KA0
    Case
    Big
    Cooling
    Air - 4 large fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless 5000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Microsoft IE 11
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Pure 3.0
Hello Piyush, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I don't see anything for that error number. You might see if you may be able to successfully run it after restarting the PC.
Hi
Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately the store still didn't work.. multiple restarts done. Worse to know that the disease of my pc is new to the world :'-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba P50
    CPU
    Intel i5 4th Gen 4200
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB 5400 RPM
    Browser
    Mozilla, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Sec

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
The update to windows 8.1 has cause the issue with dism not working. Everything was kosher before hand.. Now the only issue I get in my event log is:

Windows Store failed to sync machine licenses. Result code 0x80070490

Further research has gotten me to dism, etc.. sfc scannow runs fine.. even the windows troubleshooter finds errors and then corrects what it can.. I can assure you this did not happen before the update

To resolve the issue, follow the steps that are appropriate for your operating system. [h=5]
Drafts
Method 1: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe)[/h] [h=4]
Drafts
Windows 8[/h] To run the System Update Readiness Tool, follow these steps:
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)
  2. Type command promptin the search box.
  3. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands exactly as they appear. Press the Enter key after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  5. To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
  6. Run Windows Update again.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

that link above will run the troubleshooter..

end result after everything is this message and reinstalling windows and doing everything again will not fix the problem. I already tried.. Something in the windows update has caused an issue and tracking it down is going to be fun.

Updates still work, the store still works.. any NEW ideas?

dism.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+125W Eight-Core Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
    Motherboard
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
    Memory
    CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 04G-P4-3687-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) HP W2408h 16:10 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    5760x1200
    Hard Drives
    (2) SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC
    (SSD)
    PSU
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850-CMPSU-850AX
    Case
    Corsair Graphite Series 600T “Steel Silver” Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
    Cooling
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Das Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Trackball - x05-87575
    Internet Speed
    85/40
    Browser
    Firefox Latest
    Antivirus
    Eset Nod32

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
@ ALL, Hi,

I have done sfc scannow with error. I have done DSM with errors and here is a dism.log . I have also done PShell with errors and here is a screen shot with errors.

I don't know what to do now !! This is a freshly install windows 8.1 and trying to get it ready for win.8.1.1 update.

Thank you. :cool:

View attachment dism18APR1235.txt

PSrestorehealh18APR1305.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8.1.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 -3770 cpu 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI / Z77A-G43 (MS-7758)
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T240HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120GB
    Keyboard
    Logitech MK700/MK710
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    150 mbps
    Browser
    Chrome / FF
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky I.S
Code 80073712

Hi there @Brink
Firstly I apologise for making this my first post.
Thank you very much for this thread.
I have been getting Error Code 80073712 when trying to install these 2 updates KB2936068 and KB2919355

Here is the info that might be required.
System Specs
3qew7g6.jpg

Windows FixIt result
UOqkd2f.jpg

DISM results
U6IudzB.jpg
EqLip5D.jpg
VBoTWs8.jpg

DLL File version
iXMVnbm.jpg

CBS and DISM logs

As I read there seems to be a problem with the Microsoft servers and lots of users are having the same problem.
Even the standalone installer is not working.
I really don't want to refresh or reset my OS.
What should I do?
Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello Jax, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might try running the DISM commands again during an off peak time to see if it may be successful then if it's an issue with Microsoft servers.

Error Code 0x80073712 occurs in Windows Update or Microsoft Update

If it just won't run for you, you could also try doing a repair install to hopefully avoid a refresh or reset.

Hope this helps for now, :)
Shawn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate your quick response.
Just one question.
I had installed Windows 8 originally and then updated it to 8.1 using Windows update, so which disk should I be using?
Thanks once again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back