Disk cleanup took MORE space?!

Liz81

I was using disk clean up a little while ago and though it's not much difference, it took up more space, not freeing up space? I've added and deleted documents lately so maybe that's what messed up the true number of storage space and the number of space showing after disk cleanup is actually accurate?

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. Windows Update cleanup. Apparently, it created some new files. I've read some controversy about it, whether or not you should include it when doing a disk cleanup. Guess I should've skipped that part. They're temporary files, right? They'll disappear at some point?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    McAfee
...Windows Update cleanup. ... They're temporary files, right? They'll disappear at some point?
No. Windows retains old superseded updates, only deleting them if you tick the box for Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Clean-up. It tells you that the Description displayed below when you select Windows Update Clean-up.

Windows update cleanup.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hyper-V
Ok well, it turns out doing this disk cleanup ended up taking up space, instead of cleaning it more because of the new files/folders created by the windows update cleanup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    McAfee
If Windows Update Cleanup is selected during disk cleanup, and you run it (and there's around 1Gb or more of disk space used by windows update cleanup), it may take a few hours for disk cleanup to clean out those files.

I know from experience that this sometimes occurs on Win8.1 when using the windows update cleanup option as it takes a very long time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306
    CPU
    AMD Quad-Core A6-5200M Accelerated Processor
    Memory
    4 GB